Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Potential Tube Strike on Piccadilly Line 7th/8th Nov

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NeverFirst
The strike on the Piccadilly line planned for Wednesday 7 November and Thursday 8 November has been suspended.

Source: https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike?intcmp=35779 (and Brainless69)
Print Wikipost

Potential Tube Strike on Piccadilly Line 7th/8th Nov

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by jacobchr
I’ll be heading out from central London for an 8:35pm flight tomorrow (Wed). My current plan is TfL Rail, with HEX as a backup plan, but I’ll be very grateful to read reports and status updates from those of you who are flying a few hours before me.
Click on the link in the original post as it will contain confirmation if the strike goes ahead or not. On the TFL website the link below will also take you to live tube departures for the Piccadilly line just select your station.

https://tfl.gov.uk/tube/stop/940GZZL...eId=piccadilly

jacobchr likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Oh bloody typical. I've a 7pm flight to Singapore and go to T5 straight from work with luggage. I work next to Caledonian Rd tube station, so it's the easiest tube run in the world.

Now, a logistical nightmare.

".The last train to depart from Cockfosters to Terminal 5 departs at 12:59 arriving 14:01." Seriously considering getting the last train and spending a couple of extra hours working out of the Aspire lounge at T5 as I don't have BA Lounge access.

Does anyone know if there is a reliable bus from Gunnersbury to LHR T5 as the Overground is an option? Paddington is such a pain to reach.

It's also key departure time for World Travel Mart, so the world's tourism industry will be busy trying to get away as well.
TFL journey planner suggests 3 buses at 90 odd minutes from Gunnersbury I’m afraid.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
TFL journey planner suggests 3 buses at 90 odd minutes from Gunnersbury I’m afraid.
Thanks, I just had something at the back of my mind about some kind of (possibly staff) bus.. I can get to Richmond almost quicker than Paddington, so I was looking at Richmond (1h21 by direct bus to T5) or Feltham or Staines etc as options with direct buses to T5. Anyone know any train stations on the SWT with a quick and regular bus to T5?
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Thanks, I just had something at the back of my mind about some kind of (possibly staff) bus.. I can get to Richmond almost quicker than Paddington, so I was looking at Richmond (1h21 by direct bus to T5) or Feltham or Staines etc as options with direct buses to T5. Anyone know any train stations on the SWT with a quick and regular bus to T5?
Feltham has a relatively quick bus journey. Either jump on the 285 and go to Heathrow Central Bus Station and jump on free HEX (30 mins) or jump on the 285 go a few stops and get the 490 straight to terminal 5. The latter is about 40 mins so both easy options, looks as if the strike is going ahead, interchanges such as Stratford Kings Cross, Tottenham Court Road, Green Park etc likely to be very busy over the next 48 hours.

Citymapper is also a pretty good app to have for journey planning including disruption due to strikes,

Safe travels everybody.
Sam Bee likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Piccadilly Line strike now called off.

Central Line still appears to be going ahead.

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2018...ke-called-off/
Eskimoboy, orbitmic and KeaneJohn like this.

Last edited by bhbloke; Nov 6, 2018 at 7:15 am
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Piccadilly Line strike now called off.

Central Line still appears to be going ahead.

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2018...ke-called-off/
Just received this email from TfL

“The strike on the Central and Waterloo & City lines by ASLEF and RMT members is going ahead. There will be little or no service on these lines all day tomorrow, Wednesday 7 November.

The planned strike tomorrow on the Piccadilly line by RMT members has been suspended and services on this line will now run as normal.

Please allow extra time and replan your journey if possible.

Check before you travel and visit tfl.gov.uk/tube-strike or @TfLTravelAlerts for live information.”
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dakaix

Edit: With your revised timings leaving at 15:30 will be marginal, given the usual 4.30-5pm traffic on the M25. You might be better off as @bhbloke has mentioned, going via Kings Cross and then using the Victoria & Bakerloo lines to get to Paddington. It'll be very busy, but the timings will be more predictable, especially if you check the TfL Route Planner on the day.
To get from Kngs Cross to Paddington, it is far quicker and simpler to just jump on the Circle/Hammersmith & City line and go direct between the 2 rather than change from Victoria line to Bakerloo.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:06 am
Suspended

Just a word of warning, if you are considering driving to T2/T3, or picking up someone, do not use M4 JCT4 slip road. Last time when Piccadilly line was striking, the M4 JCT4 slip road and tunnel was stuck for hours (I was one of the passengers...). You are better off to go to T5 and then use the free HEX train to T2/T3. But now the strike is called off. So maybe for next time.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I was planning to travel by train from Welwyn GC to King's Cross (and onwards on the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow) at roughly 3:30PM for a flight at 6:50; I really can't get out of work before 3:15/30 as I have meetings could anyone be so kind to advise on how bad it is likely to get in terms of traffic from this part of the world (I am pretty new to the area, sorry) in case I decide to go for the taxi option (which seems to be the only alternative as we speak, unless anyone has some good suggestions for me in true FT's spirit!).
One other possibility is the 724 bus which goes from WGC to LHR direct, avoiding M25 as it routes via St.Albans, Watford and Denham. You would, however, have to take the bus at14.37 from WGC in order to get to LHR Central Bus Station at 17.11.
If you decide to go for this option then buy a day ticket from the driver, since this only costs GBP7,80 while a single ticket to LHR is somewhere around GBP12!
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:04 pm

The Piccadilly line strike has now been cancelled. Piccadilly line trains will run as normal
NeverFirst and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
One other possibility is the 724 bus which goes from WGC to LHR direct, avoiding M25 as it routes via St.Albans, Watford and Denham. You would, however, have to take the bus at14.37 from WGC in order to get to LHR Central Bus Station at 17.11.
If you decide to go for this option then buy a day ticket from the driver, since this only costs GBP7,80 while a single ticket to LHR is somewhere around GBP12!
Thanks a lot — I really hadn’t thought about the bus (now that it looks like that Piccadilly Line trains will run as usual, I’ll definitely bear that in mind for future needs, mostly considering the chronic delays of the local train operator i.e. Great Northern) ^

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.