Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Potential Tube Strike on Piccadilly Line 7th/8th Nov

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NeverFirst
The strike on the Piccadilly line planned for Wednesday 7 November and Thursday 8 November has been suspended.

Source: https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike?intcmp=35779 (and Brainless69)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

I know we have a previous thread but unless called off there’s 3 tube strikes looking this week thst will make travel to LHR difficult and felt it needed a new thread, Mod please merge and amend title if necessary,

If they go ahead there will be very limited or no Central Line or Waterloo and City Line all day Wednesday this week.

in addition to that it is proposed that there will be a strike on the Piccadilly line from 2pm on Wednesday of this week to 3pm on Thursday of this week with again very limited or no service, it is anticipated that Holborn Station will be closed. Last trains due to depart T4 at 1241 on Wed and T5 at 1259 so T2/3 will be a couple of mins after these times.

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-str...on-this-page-1

Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: Anything and everything
It frustrates the crap out of me as I arrive at LHR that morning.

The million dollar questions are:
How packed is the TfL Rail station at Heathrow Central going to be at approximately 7am?
Also, can one board a train towards T4 and stay on it for the turnback towards Ealing Broadway and Paddington?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by wildace
It frustrates the crap out of me as I arrive at LHR that morning.

The million dollar questions are:
How packed is the TfL Rail station at Heathrow Central going to be at approximately 7am?
Also, can one board a train towards T4 and stay on it for the turnback towards Ealing Broadway and Paddington?
As a Londoner severely impacted on my commute to work when a 20 min journey turns into 2 hrs I support the TFL staff, Their Union is very clever and quite powerful. That aside I don’t want this to go off topic.

If you arrive on Thursday morning you could always check.. on previous strike days some trains did run, virtually empty as people had heeded warnings and sought alternative routes.

With regards to how busy it will be.. as you say million dollar question you have a lot of transatlantic flights arriving into all Terminals around then. I have a suspicion that everybody at T4 will have to get off for a minute or two whilst they do a security check on the train, if you exit last and stand by the door you should be fine to get back on as soon as that’s done,

Sadly thst time is rush hour so the alternative route via Feltham to Vauxhall for Victoria Line or Waterloo will also be rammed.

Do check before your take off as the strike could be called off at the at the last minute. The unions tend to have one strike, cause mayhem and then call off subsequent strikes whilst talks continue. In this case talks are currently going but the strikes are currently still due to take place,

Safe travels and hope it doesn’t inconvenience you too much.

Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Anything and everything
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
If you arrive on Thursday morning you could always check.. on previous strike days some trains did run, virtually empty as people had heeded warnings and sought alternative routes.

Do check before your take off as the strike could be called off at the at the last minute. The unions tend to have one strike, cause mayhem and then call off subsequent strikes whilst talks continue. In this case talks are currently going but the strikes are currently still due to take place.

It mainly inconveniences my ability to get from LHR to the hotel but aside from that I can manage with plenty of alternate options as I roam around London for the day until all is back up and running for the PM rush. That said, when there have been Piccadilly line disruptions in the past, has TfL increased service on the TfL Rail or do they literally just leave it as two trains (non-express) per hour?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:47 pm

Although painfully expensive of course I would probably just suck it up and pay for the Heathrow Express or even a BA Transfer (other minicab firms available!) if I wasn't in a rush

tfl rail is busy enough in the peak, must be mayhem on a strike day, though I doubt they are leaving Heathrow crush loaded so you should board OK
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by wildace
when there have been Piccadilly line disruptions in the past, has TfL increased service on the TfL Rail or do they literally just leave it as two trains (non-express) per hour?
In the past no changes have been made to the non-express rail services - same frequency, and same 5 coach trains.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Oh bloody typical. I've a 7pm flight to Singapore and go to T5 straight from work with luggage. I work next to Caledonian Rd tube station, so it's the easiest tube run in the world.

Now, a logistical nightmare.

".The last train to depart from Cockfosters to Terminal 5 departs at 12:59 arriving 14:01." Seriously considering getting the last train and spending a couple of extra hours working out of the Aspire lounge at T5 as I don't have BA Lounge access.

Does anyone know if there is a reliable bus from Gunnersbury to LHR T5 as the Overground is an option? Paddington is such a pain to reach.

It's also key departure time for World Travel Mart, so the world's tourism industry will be busy trying to get away as well.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:31 am

I lucked out again. Flight lands at T5 on Nov 9. But, three major Tube lines on strike at once? WTH is going on? Is there no intervention to stop these strikes?
OK, I have no idea about UK labour practices, but this will cripple the largest city in the world. I feel for all affected.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Oh bloody typical. I've a 7pm flight to Singapore and go to T5 straight from work with luggage. I work next to Caledonian Rd tube station, so it's the easiest tube run in the world.

Now, a logistical nightmare.

".The last train to depart from Cockfosters to Terminal 5 departs at 12:59 arriving 14:01." Seriously considering getting the last train and spending a couple of extra hours working out of the Aspire lounge at T5 as I don't have BA Lounge access.

Does anyone know if there is a reliable bus from Gunnersbury to LHR T5 as the Overground is an option? Paddington is such a pain to reach.

It's also key departure time for World Travel Mart, so the world's tourism industry will be busy trying to get away as well.
You could maybe use Airportr to transport your luggage for you and remove that hassle factor.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
OK, I have no idea about UK labour practices, but this will cripple the largest city in the world.
It really won't.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:16 am

I was planning to travel by train from Welwyn GC to King's Cross (and onwards on the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow) at roughly 3:30PM for a flight at 6:50; I really can't get out of work before 3:15/30 as I have meetings could anyone be so kind to advise on how bad it is likely to get in terms of traffic from this part of the world (I am pretty new to the area, sorry) in case I decide to go for the taxi option (which seems to be the only alternative as we speak, unless anyone has some good suggestions for me in true FT's spirit!).

Ta,

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Nov 6, 2018 at 5:24 am Reason: time amendment.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I was planning to travel from Welwyn GC to King's Cross (and onwards on the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow) at 3PM for a flight at 6:50; I really can't get out of work before 3 as I have meetings could anyone be so kind to advise on how bad it is likely to get in terms of traffic from this part of the world (I am pretty new to the area, sorry) in case I decide to go for the taxi option (which seems to be the only option as we speak, unless anyone has some good suggestions for me in true FT's spirit!).
If the strike goes ahead, the traffic will be messy.

Much easier to get to Paddington and train it from there (HEx if you're feeling flush, TFL rail if not)
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I was planning to travel from Welwyn GC to King's Cross (and onwards on the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow) at 3PM for a flight at 6:50; I really can't get out of work before 3 as I have meetings could anyone be so kind to advise on how bad it is likely to get in terms of traffic from this part of the world (I am pretty new to the area, sorry) in case I decide to go for the taxi option (which seems to be the only option as we speak, unless anyone has some good suggestions for me in true FT's spirit!).

G
You're probably looking at 1-1.5hrs for that journey, if you send the taxi via St Albans. The M25 should be reasonably good until you hit the M40 junction, after which it's normally slow until you're past Heathrow & the M3.

Edit: With your revised timings leaving at 15:30 will be marginal, given the usual 4.30-5pm traffic on the M25. You might be better off as @bhbloke has mentioned, going via Kings Cross and then using the Victoria & Bakerloo lines to get to Paddington. It'll be very busy, but the timings will be more predictable, especially if you check the TfL Route Planner on the day.
AlicorporateUK likes this.

Last edited by dakaix; Nov 6, 2018 at 5:31 am
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke
If the strike goes ahead, the traffic will be messy.

Much easier to get to Paddington and train it from there (HEx if you're feeling flush, TFL rail if not)
Originally Posted by dakaix
You're probably looking at 1-1.5hrs for that journey, if you send the taxi via St Albans. The M25 should be reasonably good until you hit the M40 junction, after which it's normally slow until you're past Heathrow & the M3.

Edit: With your revised timings leaving at 15:30 will be marginal, given the usual 4.30-5pm traffic on the M25. You might be better off as @bhbloke has mentioned, going via Kings Cross and then using the Victoria & Bakerloo lines to get to Paddington. It'll be very busy, but the timings will be more predictable, especially if you check the TfL Route Planner on the day.
Thanks very much, peeps much appreciated ^

G
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:42 am

I’ll be heading out from central London for an 8:35pm flight tomorrow (Wed). My current plan is TfL Rail, with HEX as a backup plan, but I’ll be very grateful to read reports and status updates from those of you who are flying a few hours before me.
KeaneJohn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.