Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are the best redemptions from Vancouver (YVR?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Hey FT,

I'm pretty new to AVIOS, but I wanted to know what you guys thought are the best redemption flights from Vancouver.

Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
That's a pretty vague question. 'Best' means different things to different people.

Can you be mpre specific and you'll get better advice.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Well, one definition of "Best" is something that gets you out of the dark PacNW weather during the winter. YVR-LAX on AA is 7.5k in Y and only 15k in J. The E75 that AA has on this route is a comfortable small plane too, in the front cabin it's 1-2 seating and the single seats are quite nice.

For long haul, YVR-HKG in CX J has always been a favorite, though it's now kind of pricey
YVR-NRT in JL J is a decent value, but currently has the angle flats.
If you dont mind driving down to Seattle, we will soon have SEA-HKG (CX) and SEA-NRT (JL) from here.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:33 pm

How about YVR-JFK on CX in F?
chuckstar likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
As somebody with family in Vancouver, I wouldn't bother with Avios.

Of course the CX options are nice, if you can find the rare award space to/from YVR in a premium cabin. But you'll pay a huge amount of Avios as partners price at peak rates and the JFK flight times are horrible.

BA comes with huge surcharges.

Your options on AA or AS are limited, and you pay per segment. So unless you want to visit SEA, PHX, LAX or DFW you're paying at least double Avios.

Of course, if you have Avios and travel around the world, then they can really come in handy for intra-Europe, intra-Asia, intra-Australia, etc.

If I moved back to Canada I would concentrate on earning Alaska miles...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by craigthemif
As somebody with family in Vancouver, I wouldn't bother with Avios.

Of course the CX options are nice, if you can find the rare award space to/from YVR in a premium cabin. But you'll pay a huge amount of Avios as partners price at peak rates and the JFK flight times are horrible.

BA comes with huge surcharges.

Your options on AA or AS are limited, and you pay per segment. So unless you want to visit SEA, PHX, LAX or DFW you're paying at least double Avios.

Of course, if you have Avios and travel around the world, then they can really come in handy for intra-Europe, intra-Asia, intra-Australia, etc.

If I moved back to Canada I would concentrate on earning Alaska miles...
Good summary, I agree.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Where do you want to go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.