FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your chance to fix it all (Job Ad for BA Ancilliaries Manager) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1939109-your-chance-fix-all-job-ad-ba-ancilliaries-manager.html)

bisonrav Nov 5, 2018 1:26 pm

Your chance to fix it all (Job Ad for BA Ancilliaries Manager)

Just popped up in my linkedin feed - time to transition from an Armchair role to the real thing maybe?

Job description

This is an exciting opportunity to join the Ancillaries team and take responsibility for the revenue performance of one or more of the existing ancillary products.

The Ancillaries team is responsible for the revenue performance of paid for ancillary products and also the development of new ancillary products to enhance customers’ journeys. The existing products currently sitting under the responsibility of the Ancillaries team include Paid for Seating, Excess Baggage, Upgrades, Change Fees, Pre-paid meals and Wifi.

In this role you will be expected to design and implement product and pricing strategies for one or more of the existing products in order to drive revenue performance. By monitoring performance on a regular basis, you will identify new opportunities for revenue improvement on both a strategic and tactical basis, and evaluate the success of any initiatives in progress. Working closely with other departments, you will implement shared strategies and tactical activities, and also support resolution of any issues regarding your products. You will also manage the pricing of the products that you are responsible for, carrying out tests to identify effective pricing strategies.

We are looking for an analytical and strategic thinker, with great commercial acumen, stakeholder management and team working skills. Experience in a commercial role is desirable.

bisonrav Nov 5, 2018 1:29 pm

Just out of interest, this is being advertised as an "entry level role"

1010101 Nov 5, 2018 1:32 pm

Wonder if its to replace existing staff turnover or if they need more hands to help with new ideas.

gms Nov 5, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm just amazed that they need a team (i.e. implying there is more than 1 person) tp develop these "products"!

bisonrav Nov 5, 2018 1:40 pm

Well as we've seen here, these are all massively important elements of the way the product is perceived. It's interesting that they're not clear on the scope of the role, which suggest to me it's being developed from someone else's current responsibilities.

Interesting job.

V10 Nov 5, 2018 2:33 pm

Poisoned chalice anyone? Must be able to come up with something that isn't wildly unpopular with passengers, raises more revenue and gets the rest of BA management behind it and then be prepared to take the flak when the NPS nosedives. All from an entry level salary.

Ahh'm oot.

bisonrav Nov 5, 2018 2:41 pm

Yep. Bit of a hospital pass.

UKtravelbear Nov 5, 2018 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by V10 (Post 30396943)
Poisoned chalice anyone? Must be able to come up with something that isn't wildly unpopular with passengers, raises more revenue and gets the rest of BA management behind it and then be prepared to take the flak when the NPS nosedives. All from an entry level salary.

Ahh'm oot.

Paid lounge access would be popular either with cash or avios. It has been mentioned on here several times that people would be willing to pay to guest extra family members in when going on holiday with the family etc.

It would raise revenue but be easily controllable in terms of numbers per day and time they would be allowed to spend in the lounge so only from a couple of hours before departure not a whole day.

Restrict it to club lounges so the CCR and F lounges are still the havens of peace!

bisonrav Nov 5, 2018 2:57 pm

Just what we want. A herd of disgruntled silvers trying to break down the doors of GF because the bronzes have been allowed in to the galleries for twenty quid a pop and are making loud conference calls... :(

flatlander Nov 5, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm sure Seņor Cruz will want a person in this role who has devotion to cost cutting "injected into the DNA".

HIDDY Nov 5, 2018 3:55 pm

I wouldn't mind.....although having been a member of this board for over 10 years I feel I may be overqualified for the role.

Ldnn1 Nov 5, 2018 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 30397155)
I'm sure Seņor Cruz will want a person in this role who has devotion to cost cutting "injected into the DNA".

The focus of ancillaries is revenue generation. Of course if you can turn costs into revenue that's great, but revenue is the driver, not costs.

bisonrav Nov 5, 2018 4:03 pm

You turn a cost into revenue by charging for something that had previously been given away. That's how BoB works, or seat selection, and so on. Ultimately for any product manager margin is the KPI anyway.

Ldnn1 Nov 5, 2018 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav (Post 30397295)
You turn a cost into revenue by charging for something that had previously been given away. That's how BoB works, or seat selection, and so on.

That's a very legacy/FT way of looking at it. If you consider something like wifi, BA hasn't previously offered it, it will be horribly costly to introduce, but if you can generate good ancillary revenue from it then that can enable it.

bisonrav Nov 6, 2018 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 30397355)
That's a very legacy/FT way of looking at it. If you consider something like wifi, BA hasn't previously offered it, it will be horribly costly to introduce, but if you can generate good ancillary revenue from it then that can enable it.

Obviously transforming cost to revenue isn't the only way of doing it, but it's just to counter the suggestion that cost-cutting isn't part of the mentality behind this role. It has a significant debundling component as described in the job spec. That's one of the more interesting parts of the way it's set up really, it indicates the strategic thinking is towards a de-bundled and hence low cost model.