Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Extra Taxes for Redemption Change from J to F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

I just modified a redemption booking for 2 from LHR-LAX in J to LHR-SJC in F.

I was expecting the change fee to be applied, but was surprised that the rerouting and change of class required another £49-odd of 'taxes' each.

Is this normal, or another example of BA generating new fees for redemptions in F?

(Full details: original booking LHR-LAX-LHR in J out off-peak, back peak. New booking LHR-SJC/LAX-LHR out F off-peak, back J peak.)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
BA have increased YQ by around £ 50 on LH J/F redemptions a few weeks ago, so if the booking was made before that and now changed that will most likely be the reason.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
£49 in addition to the £35 per person change fee?

There does seem to have been a recent increase in carrier surcharge so it is possible that this is what has caused this. Have you got the breakdown of TFC on your original e-ticket email? If so what was the carrier surcharge figure?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Poster

The original YQ was GBP 329.00 and, yes, in addition to the change fee of £35/person
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes, there is normally no difference in taxes or charges between J and F (though some people have reported otherwise recently on some specific itineraries but I think that was ex-US) but every time you make a change that requires a ticket to be reissued, taxes and fees will be recalculated and any difference levied. In this case, you are using a different airport which in and by itself may have some different airport charges, and of course, fluctuations in exchange rate also lead to different totals in whatever currency you pay in. Additionally, as others mentioned, unfortunately some of BA's airline surcharge components have recently increased - yet again...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bernardh
The original YQ was GBP 329.00 and, yes, in addition to the change fee of £35/person
that explains it. YQ for your trip is now £388.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. BA gouging is the answer then. The original reservation was made back in April, so it does straddle the changes.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
BA gouging is the answer then. The original reservation was made back in April, so it does straddle the changes.
I'll bet you wouldn't be saying that if the YQ had reduced between the time of your original booking and the time of ticket reissue, and you had therefore been given a refund.

This is just the way that the system works. It's not gouging. Like with so many things in this industry, you win some and you lose some.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

What I object to is that it's a charge levied by BA pure and simple - and I was told that it was a 'tax increase'.

I can't see what your observation adds to the discussion, but you're right in that I would probably not have asked the question if I wasn't charged an extra hundred pounds.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I object to is that it's a charge levied by BA pure and simple ...
Increases in TFC are payable on making a change in a booking, whether it's an award booking or a cash booking, and whether they're levied by BA or by a third party or by a government. So, to answer your original question: yes, it's normal.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'll bet you wouldn't be saying that if the YQ had reduced between the time of your original booking and the time of ticket reissue, and you had therefore been given a refund.

This is just the way that the system works. It's not gouging. Like with so many things in this industry, you win some and you lose some.
I think we all know how the system works.

It was called a fuel surcharge until a few regulatory bodies noticed the lack of correlation with fuel prices and as they started sniffing around it magically transformed into a non-transparent “general charge”.

How many times has YQ reduced anyway? I’d say that time series has a clear trajectory and it isn’t up and down....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But... YQ rarely (ever??) goes down.

Even if it did I'm sure you wouldn't see a penny of it refunded on a ticket change.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
How many times has YQ reduced anyway?
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
But... YQ rarely (ever??) goes down.
Ah yes, all that YQ that we are still paying on mainline short-haul tickets, for example.
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
Even if it did I'm sure you wouldn't see a penny of it refunded on a ticket change.
Is this from personal experience? On a refundable fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.