Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

QQ - LHR>IST upgrade for £129 - GCH - yes or no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi All,

Quick question - flying LHR>IST on Friday, online upgrade of £129 per person....finger hovering over the 'do it' button but not sure it's worth it.

2x PAX both Gold so i've already got access to the Flounge, and i have emergency exit seat (sadly row 11 instead of 12 as it was already taken). Would be an additional 1500 Avios, but i dont need the additional TPs. Weekend away so hand baggage only...

4 hour flights so some food and booze may be nice - but i could BOB or buy in the Pret before the trip.

Any thoughts to help me out...?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:59 am

In those circs, I wouldn't bother. Eat in the lounge or the terminal before boarding, buy a fiver's worth of snacks/drinks for the flight and spend the rest when you get there.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It’s not expensive but I wouldn’t either. Would you have booked the trip out in c originally for the extra £129 (which may well have been the difference to start with in some cases!)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Very good price for the offer, but as a GCH you get most of the soft benefits and have extra legroom.

I would definitely do it if chasing TPs, otherwise though I can't see any compelling reason to take it unless you are naturally at home in CE.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
There's U availability on the two Friday flights, so if you happen to be booked in N or higher you can upgrade for 8,500 avios and £13. I'd probably do that for the afternoon flight, better timed for a meal onboard ... not so sure about the morning flight.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
£358 for the pair of you doesn't seem that cheap to me. Plenty you could do with that from nice hotels or another trip somewhere.
As you've said, you've got practically all the benefits of a CE fare anyway and since the TPs aren't needed, I would just save the cash. There's no guarantee as well that row 1 in CE won't have already been taken so you'll end up in standard seats with little legroom.

Not sure if you're going to end up with a seatmate, but £358 in my pocket trumps that possibility.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
There's U availability on the two Friday flights, so if you happen to be booked in N or higher you can upgrade for 8,500 avios and £13. I'd probably do that for the afternoon flight, better timed for a meal onboard ... not so sure about the morning flight.
Its a hotline ticket (not sure of the booking class and not sure how i check TBH) but i think hotline you cant upgrade with Avios, can you?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xenole
£358 for the pair of you doesn't seem that cheap to me. Plenty you could do with that from nice hotels or another trip somewhere.
As you've said, you've got practically all the benefits of a CE fare anyway and since the TPs aren't needed, I would just save the cash. There's no guarantee as well that row 1 in CE won't have already been taken so you'll end up in standard seats with little legroom.

Not sure if you're going to end up with a seatmate, but £358 in my pocket trumps that possibility.
LOL - general point taken but it £258, a little easier on the pocket but still probably not worth it...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GavT_london
LOL - general point taken but it £258, a little easier on the pocket but still probably not worth it...
Obviously left my brain lying around somewhere!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless the flight looks rammed down the back (and consequently the middle seat will probably be occupied) I would stick with what you have.
stewaran likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would probably upgrade, it's fairly long for shorthaul. CE passengers will get a sticker thing to allow use of fast track immigration.
Sealink likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I still don't get why people ask these questions as it's purely subjective.

As a Gold surely you know the benefits of CE over ET and can determine how much you value those yourself. Not sure how a bunch of strangers can provide better insight than you know already.
Andriyko, babats and lhrpete like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Since you can buy CE for as little as £320 rtn on this route, I wouldn't consider the £129 upgrade unless you're after the Tier Points.

Fast Track immigration stickers for IST weren't provided on my last trip (the crew had no idea what I was on about and the local staff on arrival didn't have any as we disembarked for the buses) so that's not a benefit you can rely on.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fraser
I still don't get why people ask these questions as it's purely subjective.

As a Gold surely you know the benefits of CE over ET and can determine how much you value those yourself. Not sure how a bunch of strangers can provide better insight than you know already.
a) because this forum is about knowledge sharing - yes i am a gold but dont fly frequently on every route in every class on every aircraft so collective knowledge is better than mine
b) because i didnt know about the fast track sticker mentioned by C_W_S
c) because i didnt know there was avios upgrade availability according to pauldb (sadly i cant use because i have a hotline ticket - i believe)
d) because i can - thats what a forum is there for...
Sealink, george77300 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
At that price, I'd think about it - it's a fairly long flight and so the absolute guarantee of an empty middle seat is worth something, as is having one of the more substantial "long" meals: not just to keep you from being hungry but frankly to pass the time and start your weekend break with a little treat.

It's true you will get very other incremental benefit from it if you're not chasing TPs (although it's another 60-70 TPs in the bank for life-time Gold if that's a consideration...every little helps...).

At that price, I might do it "just because" but really everyone has their own price point, depending on the circumstances. Conversely, I'm being offered a very cheap POUG for Vienna...which I might take for the start of a weekend break, but certainly won't be for a mid-morning flight on business when I'll just want a "buy-on-board" coffee and a quiet hour to do my emails!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.