Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bag Lost by Iberia but Fly again today on BA

Old Nov 5, 18, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi FT

Tried to google some answers to this but didn't manage to come up with anything.

I flew this morning from GRX (Granada) to LHR via MAD on IB, when I arrived at LHR I received a text to say that my baggage had 'not travelled with me'. I went to the Iberia desk and they were already expecting me.... No real biggy as this was my homeward leg after a 4 day break in Spain with my Family, however I am due to travel to IAD this afternoon (@5pm) from LHR (BA) and had packed for both the holiday and business trip to Washington + other US cities for two weeks. (The two trips are on separate tickets)

The guys on the desk said that there is a flight coming in at 14.55 and they are working to ensure that my bag is on that flight, they would see to it that if it did come in it would then be loaded to my flight and I could collect at IAD - but this couldn't be guaranteed...

I may be being a little sceptical here but I am not too confident that I will arrive to see my bag in Washington this evening.

From the research I did it seems that homeward legs do not tend to allow any kind of 'emergency clothing' purchases based on the fact that you should be able to wait a day or two for your bag when arriving home but would it be different due to me having an onward journey?

I have business meetings tomorrow and don't want to do that in my jeans and hoodie :-) plus I have a couple of laptops in the hold that are needed for a conference I will be exhibiting at next week.

Maybe I am worrying unnecessarily here and the bag will get loaded but I am curious if anyone has come across this situation before.

PS - hope this is in the right forum...
Old Nov 5, 18, 6:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stu287 View Post
Hi FT
I may be being a little sceptical here but I am not too confident that I will arrive to see my bag in Washington this evening.
I must admit I have my doubts too. But still let's hope for the best here. Welcome to Flyertalk stu287 and welcome the British Airways forum, it's good to see you here.

This is essentially an Iberia issue, and they're not going to be seeing the IAD service as part of what you paid for - moreover IB aren't renown for generosity in this area either. Plus as you say, you are technically at your home base. Laptops aren't a great idea in checked bags, they aren't insured by airline or most insurance policies either.

For clothing and cosmetics, I think this one is going to depend on your insurance policy, and even there the two flights factor could inhibit cover. I guess if you do end up self insuring and buying some more clothes then at least they could be items that will be of use to you for some time to come.
Old Nov 5, 18, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than letting IB off the hook at LHR, I would simply give IB your new hotel address in Washington (or wherever) you are headed. IB can then make arrangements to get your bag to that address in whatever way makes the most sense.

While it is theoretically possible for IB to interline the bag to BA, have it attached to your BA PNR and then have it delivered as passenger baggage at the carousel at IAD, that requires a lot of manual logistical intervention by both carriers.

If you leave it with IB to simply deliver in Washington, the bag can either go on your flight to IAD or any other service.

Knowing that you are headed off to Washington without the bag, I would use BA's generous allowance to carry your first 3-4 days of clothing in any event.
Old Nov 5, 18, 7:22 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I had something similar in reverse - BA lost two of our bags between LHR and MAD (in fact they "lost" a whole container), and I was flying on with Iberia the next day to Lima on a separate ticket. I explained the situation at the IB desk, and they said they would put the bags onto the Lima flight for us to pick up there. I was sceptical this would work, but lo and behold our missing bags were among the first ones to come off the belt in Lima.
Old Nov 5, 18, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Knowing that you are headed off to Washington without the bag, I would use BA's generous allowance to carry your first 3-4 days of clothing in any event.
Unfortunately BAs policy will not apply here as the bag was lost on a journey with IB that ended in LHR. No bag will be checked in at LHR for BA to be the last carrier on.

OP, hopefully you have a worldtracer (or similar, not sure what IB use). keep it updated with whatever address you need the bags delivered to. The fact you have travelled on is not unusual and its IBs responsibility when they find the bags to get them to you, wherever you are. If you are only in IAD for a few days it may not be worth making that update and just getting the bags delivered to home. Anything you need to buy may need to come from travel insurance from your Spain trip
Old Nov 5, 18, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Yeah this is a difficult one as I have around 36 hours in washington then on to Austin for 24 hrs, onto Memphis for 48 hours, then over to Dallas for a week so the chances of getting the bag to land at my given location will be minimal. Lets hope it comes in on the flight they originally said and I just get the bag tonight in DC.

My flight with Iberia was booked using my BA PP AMEX rather than my Platinum AMEX so I dont even know if my Plat AMEX will provide any cover.

I will need to contact my business' insurance provider and see what the score is - I guess I can always offset using company expenses if none of the insurances pay out.

20 mins to go until the IB flight lands - meanwhile I am getting severe heartburn drinking Castelnau in the Galleries lounge....

CWS thanks for the welcome, long time lurker etc. and thanks to all other replies.
Old Nov 5, 18, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
Unfortunately BAs policy will not apply here as the bag was lost on a journey with IB that ended in LHR. No bag will be checked in at LHR for BA to be the last carrier on.

OP, hopefully you have a worldtracer (or similar, not sure what IB use). keep it updated with whatever address you need the bags delivered to. The fact you have travelled on is not unusual and its IBs responsibility when they find the bags to get them to you, wherever you are. If you are only in IAD for a few days it may not be worth making that update and just getting the bags delivered to home. Anything you need to buy may need to come from travel insurance from your Spain trip
BA's carry-on allowance will apply to OP's BA flight LHR-IAD. That will apply whatever the status of his incoming bad on a separate ticket on IB.

If BA accepts the bag as passenger checked luggage rather than a simple delivery courtesy extended via interline agreement for lost luggage recovery, it will take on the status of "last delivering carrier." That is largely why I suspect that this simply won't work.

As to OP''s larger issue of travelling within the US, if he leaves things such that IB is simply arranging for delivery in Washington at his hotel, OP can always update WorldTracer as he moves Almost certain that AA will handle any domestic movements and it has an efficient system for rerouting and delivering bags.
Old Nov 5, 18, 9:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
I believe Often1 meant that the OP could take enough clothes for the first few days in a carry-on bag (rather than make a claim to BA for clothes purchased in the USA).
Old Nov 5, 18, 10:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by stu287 View Post
Yeah this is a difficult one as I have around 36 hours in washington then on to Austin for 24 hrs, onto Memphis for 48 hours, then over to Dallas for a week so the chances of getting the bag to land at my given location will be minimal. Lets hope it comes in on the flight they originally said and I just get the bag tonight in DC.

If I were in your position, I'd get an agreement from the hotel/accommodation in Dallas to accept your bag (in case it turns up before you, you'll need to make sure someone accepts it), and have the bag forwarded there. It's better than engaging in funny (unfunny) chase with bag by trying to meet up with it somewhere where you are staying for less than 48 hours. It will be much less stressful and have a higher chance of success. Having said that, I guess being without things for a few days until you get there might be rather problematic.

Was there any chance of your picking things up from your home?

I have business meetings tomorrow and don't want to do that in my jeans and hoodie :-) plus I have a couple of laptops in the hold that are needed for a conference I will be exhibiting at next week.
Now, I really hate to kick you when you're down, for your future protection, I strongly suggest never to do this - a sole suit should never be packed in checked baggage in case this happens, and laptops should never, ever be packed in a suitcase unless you are happy for it to be lost or broken - for a start, they might simply get broken during transit even if it's packed very well!

Aside from that, since the carrier that lost your bag is IB and not BA, any claim you make needs to be sent to IB. Since you have been home, I am not sure how you'd go with having IB reimburse you for 'essentials' as they might expect you to have spares at home etc. But if you genuinely don't, then you could try claiming things off them but be prepared for a potential 'no' answer for whatever you buy (make sure you keep the original receipts).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 5, 18 at 10:16 am
Old Nov 5, 18, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Panic over - got my bag when I landed at IAD. Thanks for replies all. Some lessons learned :-)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: