Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight From Hell [BA2036 MCO-LGW delayed then diverted to JFK]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lavajava
Key Information (thanks @corporate-wage-slave):

Original schedule

Thursday 1 November BA2036 (Operated by G-VIIR)
MCO dep 2120
LGW arr 1025 - Friday 2 November

Delay Reason: Aircraft Defects/Technical

Actual schedule
Saturday 3 November BA2036
MCO dep 0032 (was at some point intended to depart at 19.25 on Friday)
Diverted: JFK arr 0345 Saturday 3 November
----------
JFK dep 2038 Saturday 3 November
LGW arr 0645 Sunday 4 November

Delay: 45 hours 40 minutes late for those who were not re-routed on to other services.
The rescue aircraft G-STBF left LHR at 12:52 and landed in JFK 15:27

Diversion Information (thanks @Globaliser):

The aircraft left MCO just before 0100 on 3 November as BA9601. It got to about Charleston, made a U-turn, and then another one when it was back near Savannah, before continuing northbound and diverting to JFK. ExpertFlyer.com says "aircraft forced to return" and also seems to say for this flight that the diversion to JFK was for "aircraft defects".

Compensation Information:

This delay should be in scope for 600 Euro delay compensation plus applicable/reasonable expenses. Please follow the link to the EU261 Compensation thread that contains a useful Wiki section.
Print Wikipost

Flight From Hell [BA2036 MCO-LGW delayed then diverted to JFK]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
something BA could learn a thing or two from.
(bolding mine)

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I find the insistence to compare these two completely different situations and to disregard inconvenient facts bizarre and unfair.
In aviation situations are never the same, this is FlyerTalk where we are discussing things that happened, with most of us not having been present. It was a constructive share of a relevant article of another situation where an aircraft went tech (in a way) and several hundred pax were displaced, and I think some of us find the comparison interesting and worthwhile reading about.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Again, you are deliberately misrepresenting the situation. It is hard to argue with alternative facts. I can only assume that you mean that NZ would have created hotel rooms out of thin air. It is, of course, very reasonable and fair to compare a situation where you have an abundance of rooms to book and one where there are none. And that's disregarding the fact that those leaving that same day did not require an overnight accommodation.
Misrepresenting the situation? What do you mean by that?

As far as I can tell, there have been 2 sources for the "No Hotel Rooms Available" story. One was BA - and we can discount that as they obviously have "skin in the game". The other source is you. So, as you are so adamant that no hotel rooms were available, I guess this means that you were looking to book a last minute room at around 3am on that night? What radius from JFK did you use?

It seems a bit strange that BA were giving out leaflets advising people to book hotels themselves if they knew none were available.

Just to add... I was working in New York 10 years ago when Paula Radcliffe won the marathon. A friend of mine booked into my hotel (Courtyard, Jersey City) a couple of days before. So, just because the marathon was on doesn't mean there are no rooms available in the whole of the NYC area.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
As far as I can tell, there have been 2 sources for the "No Hotel Rooms Available" story. One was BA - and we can discount that as they obviously have "skin in the game". The other source is you.
For those of us who can remember way back in time when a FTer was seeking real-time information, help and advice about the situation, and before the professionally offended got involved in the discussion: Flight From Hell [BA2036 MCO-LGW delayed then diverted to JFK]
Andriyko likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Globaliser
For those of us who can remember way back in time when a FTer was seeking real-time information, help and advice about the situation, and before the professionally offended got involved in the discussion: Flight From Hell [BA2036 MCO-LGW delayed then diverted to JFK]
Yes, and? The family members were told there were no rooms available?

Yours,
Mr P Offended.

Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
(bolding mine)
In aviation situations are never the same, this is FlyerTalk where we are discussing things that happened, with most of us not having been present. It was a constructive share of a relevant article of another situation where an aircraft went tech (in a way) and several hundred pax were displaced, and I think some of us find the comparison interesting and worthwhile reading about.
I am sorry but I don't see what helpful lessons we can learn from a NZ cancellation at the departure airport and a diversion in the early hours of the morning.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've been around long enough to remember when BA would arrange hotels. At somewhere like JFK they could perhaps rustle up 5 agents to do exactly this. If you have 150 family groups to resolve (some needing multiple rooms, connecting rooms, rooms with particular facilities) realistically it take about 10 minutes per group, not least because it's often the first opportunity to offload complaints. And if you listen in on this, people tend to make the same point over and over again, in a healthy but time-consuming way. So 10 minutes is what it is. And if you do the maths, the person at the back of the queue is waiting 5 hours. Even if you throw 10 staff at it, it's still a multi hour wait for some. So the current system - where people are asked to sort themselves out and staff focus on vulnerable travellers (who were booked into hotels by BA in this incident) - isn't necessarily a bad idea.
In reality both options should be made available.

There will always be people (such as experienced or regular travellers, or those with travel agents on speed dial) that can sort themselves out whilst leaving the agents to help those who are less able, either because they are short of funds or elderly or infirm etc etc. I don't see it as an excuse to abdicate responsibility.

In any case in this example there was 2 hours notice of arrival - surely enough for a well organised company to at least establish what was available.
DYKWIA and m3red like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:36 am

I am sorry but I don't see what helpful lessons we can learn from a NZ cancellation at the departure airport and a diversion in the early hours of the morning.
well whetever happened you didn’t see air nz passengers all over the press moaning so maybe the lesson is to get a new PR team?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Are there any Ambassador's left on the Emirates forum?
Andriyko, Sealink and msm2000uk like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Just to add... I was working in New York 10 years ago when Paula Radcliffe won the marathon. A friend of mine booked into my hotel (Courtyard, Jersey City) a couple of days before. So, just because the marathon was on doesn't mean there are no rooms available in the whole of the NYC area.
Ten years ago is different though.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:15 am

Has Hotel capacity dropped in the last 10 years?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Has Hotel capacity dropped in the last 10 years?
No, but I imagine underlying demand has grown.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Depends where you go in the New York area.

The average tourist will not look much further than Manhattan / Times Square area, or the airport area if overnighting.

I personally have no issues staying in Queens etc. and hotels here are quite often far, far cheaper than in Manhattan.

It's a case of having a little knowledge of the area or to be willing to step out of your comfort zone area wise when it comes to booking something.
As mentioned earlier, the Jersey Courtyard was picked up a couple of days before the marathon. (To be honest, it still takes about 3hrs or a good marathon day to get from Queensboro' Plaza etc. to Staten Island using the subway to South Station then the ferry and bus).
It's possibly a little bit far out for JFK and/or marathon purposes, at least for runners (spectators may pop along later and be more local so can drive to the hotel and then use public transport at their discretion).

Some places in Brooklyn aren't that close to subway lines and are perhaps not in areas you would want to be wandering about in at 5am or whatever.
$55 or whatever for a cab to the city on top of a hotel that probably costs £200+ is a chunk of someone's budget, especially, when mentioned previously, that Disney / SeaWorld are pretty much places where you might as well hand over your credit card at the gate and say "go nuts!"
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
I’m curious about this. Why £200.00?
I was in Switzerland a few months ago and my flight was cancelled. I looked at hotels and the cheapest was over £400. Thankfully I was rebooked onto a same day flight, but, surely BA have a duty of care and this can’t be capped at £200? If the cheapest hotel is above this (and you can prove it); will BA simply not pay?
I've had BA pay upwards of $1000 when booked in discount F for an overnight suite at the LHR Hilton at T4 when it was the last room available .

But what is BA offering as extra comp here to all these pax besides the standard EU comp of EUR 600 for flights delayed beyond 6 hours.

I would think at a minimum BA would comp each pax w a free future return ticket in their class of service for the 3 day disaster of an experience???
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
My only major IRROPS in 2016 (LGW-KIN) there was NO direct EC261 information provided to pax, although some EC261 letters were left on the reception desk at the LGW Sofitel where we were put up overnight ... if you knew they were there in the first place. What I was given was the attached letter, with the small-print footnote which I guess covers BA's backside. Fortunately, thanks to FT, I knew what do do in respect of EC261 anyway, but I doubt the majority of pax did or knew how much it was going to be worth!

An “Interesting” Journey to Jamaica with BA (JER-LGW-KIN)
I was delayed more than 4 hours last year on Iceland Air when our outbound BOS flight was delayed (probably 2+ hours) due to late fuel truck supply and our connection to CPH was missed and we arrived 6-8 hours late into CPH.

I was in business class on both segments. I asked for and received a voucher for a taxi and a daytime hotel stay, which I didn't use. I stayed in the longe the whole time. I know enough to ask about EU delayed comp and upon request as to whether this delay qualified, the supervisor said "I think so" and handed me a leaflet on delayed compensation.

The airline DID NOT proactively say to anyone that they might be eligible for EU comp. I mentioned this to one or two people who arrived at the service desk to inquire about our re-routing and they were surprised/enthused, but my interpretation is that the airline never volunteered or indicated anything.

I filed online at the Iceland Air website for EU compensation from the lounge that day and received EUR 600 credit to my credit card within a month or so .

I have been delayed many times on BA 2-4+ hours and never been offered EU delayed comp, but been treated very well. I'm sure the statue of limitations of many if not all of those delays is over and many were due to strikes: one by the ground staff (that's probably BA's fault but also probably 5+ years ago) and at least 2 others by air traffic control issues, but probably others due to mechanical issues .
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
As far as I can tell, there have been 2 sources for the "No Hotel Rooms Available" story. One was BA - and we can discount that as they obviously have "skin in the game".
This summer my partner was stuck in YYZ due to severe thunderstorms cancelling the flights. He was flying on Air Canada and they have a "displaced traveller" number to call to help book hotels. I called and was told there were no hotels available in the entire Greater Toronto Area - which goes roughly from Hamilton to Oshawa and encompass an area with ~6 million people. It would be like BA asserting that there isn't a single vacant hotel room available anywhere inside the M25.

Somewhat incredulous, I looked at expedia - lo and behold there was vacancy the hotel he usually stayed at less than a mile from the airport, and a discounted rate too. He regularly stays there, and it was actually the cheapest rate I have ever booked.

So when an airline says there are no rooms, I don't believe them. It probably means "the 30 rooms we have at crew contracted rates are sold out" not "there are no hotel rooms available in the metro area"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.