Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight From Hell [BA2036 MCO-LGW delayed then diverted to JFK]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lavajava
Key Information (thanks @corporate-wage-slave):

Original schedule

Thursday 1 November BA2036 (Operated by G-VIIR)
MCO dep 2120
LGW arr 1025 - Friday 2 November

Delay Reason: Aircraft Defects/Technical

Actual schedule
Saturday 3 November BA2036
MCO dep 0032 (was at some point intended to depart at 19.25 on Friday)
Diverted: JFK arr 0345 Saturday 3 November
----------
JFK dep 2038 Saturday 3 November
LGW arr 0645 Sunday 4 November

Delay: 45 hours 40 minutes late for those who were not re-routed on to other services.
The rescue aircraft G-STBF left LHR at 12:52 and landed in JFK 15:27

Diversion Information (thanks @Globaliser):

The aircraft left MCO just before 0100 on 3 November as BA9601. It got to about Charleston, made a U-turn, and then another one when it was back near Savannah, before continuing northbound and diverting to JFK. ExpertFlyer.com says "aircraft forced to return" and also seems to say for this flight that the diversion to JFK was for "aircraft defects".

Compensation Information:

This delay should be in scope for 600 Euro delay compensation plus applicable/reasonable expenses. Please follow the link to the EU261 Compensation thread that contains a useful Wiki section.
Print Wikipost

Flight From Hell [BA2036 MCO-LGW delayed then diverted to JFK]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
"Customers were rebooked where possible and while there were limited hotel rooms available, our teams on the ground cared for customers in our first class lounge providing bedding, food and drinks to ensure they were comfortable during their stay."

It appears BA are telling porkies yet again...
No, you just need to read this correctly and you’ll see it’s completely accurate.
"Customers were rebooked where possible and while there were limited hotel rooms available, our teams on the ground cared for customers in our first class lounge providing bedding, food and drinks to ensure they were comfortable during their stay."
What was omitted was the next part:
“Those customers who were not in our first class lounge, they were screwed”
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
No, you just need to read this correctly and you’ll see it’s completely accurate.
What was omitted was the next part:
“Those customers who were not in our first class lounge, they were screwed”
Actually, you are wrong. Based on a poster on Facebook who was at JFK last night, the CCR was closed to accommodate those who were delayed. So in fact, BA did provide access to the lounge for those who were trapped at JFK.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by madfish

Actually, you are wrong. Based on a poster on Facebook who was at JFK last night, the CCR was closed to accommodate those who were delayed. So in fact, BA did provide access to the lounge for those who were trapped at JFK.
Yet only those in the know seemed to know about it.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Not sure I understand this: ‘the CCR was closed’ and ‘ BA did provide access’ - in the face of it these are contradictory statements.

Doc Copper
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

Not sure I understand this: ‘the CCR was closed’ and ‘ BA did provide access’ - in the face of it these are contradictory statements.

Doc Copper
Well, it's only open for breakfast (6-9am?) and then again from 4/4:30pm-late, so for a large part of the day when it wouldn't have been in use anyway, it could have possibly been used?
Not sure if F passengers and CCR were turned away during it's normal hours of operation or what.

Would be interesting to hear who actually was in there, assuming it was the CCR and not some other lounge that was given a more upmarket name to, rather than us conjecturing.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by oldone
I know some people were rebooked on available BA flights early morning out of JFK, there are only a very limited number of flights leaving JFK in the morning for LHR, I do not know if there were other morning flights to LHR with other carriers and if indeed they had any spare seats to be filled. Any delay for whatever reason it is and very often turns to be a very draining, complicate and tiring experience sometime because of different and varied factors all the best intentions are not perceived as such.
Appreciate the info.

But by the time the aircraft went tech the first time, people should have been rebooked on JBA services via DFW/CLT/PHL/MIA/NYC/ORD before it even got stranded the second time in JFK.

Even sticking to BA/AA/IB/AY I'm sure this could have been done.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:28 pm

But far more importantly, why is there the capability to automatically rebook passengers on the next available flight as the US carriers do?

Rather than some poor outsourced sap on the ground having to manually wade through hundreds of bookings?

Ah, I know, because it would cost Capex to do that, and thus some Waterside manager wouldn't get their bonus for that year for continuing to slash costs.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Appreciate the info.

But by the time the aircraft went tech the first time, people should have been rebooked on JBA services via DFW/CLT/PHL/MIA/NYC/ORD before it even got stranded the second time in JFK.

I do not think they planned the second tech problem the plan was to fly the delayed service to LGW and as planned they would have landed to the original final destination far earlier than any rescheduled alternative routing, sadly and exceptionally the plan did not materialise and all best intentions and wishful thinking did not materialise and what could have been a simple tech delay turned out to develop into an unwanted or needed pr problem.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:44 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by oldone
I do not think they planned the second tech problem the plan was to fly the delayed service to LGW and as planned they would have landed to the original final destination far earlier than any rescheduled alternative routing, sadly and exceptionally the plan did not materialise and all best intentions and wishful thinking did not materialise and what could have been a simple tech delay turned out to develop into an unwanted or needed pr problem.
It might be an unwanted or unneeded (by BA) PR problem, but if they're relying on "best intentions" and "wishful thinking" then by God it's a PR problem that they deserve.

As someone said upthread, an organisation can be judged by how it responds to these exceptional situations. On this occasion, BA fell woefully short.
Dave_C likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody know what the tech issue was with the aircraft?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by V10
It might be an unwanted or unneeded (by BA) PR problem, but if they're relying on "best intentions" and "wishful thinking" then by God it's a PR problem that they deserve.

As someone said upthread, an organisation can be judged by how it responds to these exceptional situations. On this occasion, BA fell woefully short.
My point was that I think, believe BA did whatever they could do to do alleviate and proactively find achievable solutions to resolve that unfortunate situation, some passengers were rebooked on alternative services to LHR and although some think that just by simply rerouting passengers on other carriers via different hubs would have sort out the problem very probably it would have stressed passengers even more without any possible or tangible difference in the final arrival s time.
Let's hope they all get a proper compensation package
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

Doc Copper
Try reading the whole sentence. It does help. But if you need it explaining. The CCR was closed for those who would normally have access to accommodate those passengers who were delayed.

Now I sympathise with those delayed but would be livid to be denied access to the lounge that I had, in effect, paid to visit. Will BA also compensate these passengers’s as well as those traveling from MCO?

And to be clear, MCO is one of my most frequently visited airports so this could just as easily have been me.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Appreciate the info.

The first time the aircraft went tech would have meant there was very little opportunity to reroute people given that it would have been late on the evening. There are only a handful of TATL flights during the day. The best option would have been to to simply delay 24 hours and go again. Although inconvenient, this was probably better than sending people off all over the US on indirect flights. Clearly they got away later than planned on day two. Not sure why. They then encountered a second technical problem. Hindsight says they should have sent people on the indirect flights. Again they were faced with only a few TATL flights so were left to wait until the evening.

Nobody was saving that this was an ideal situation, but you can see how and why certain decisions were made along the way. Could BA have communicated this better? Probably, but let’s not forget there are a lot of passengers out there who are unable or unwilling to listen to advice and assistance. Who is to say that those complaining the most now are not the ones who didn’t listen?

oldone likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:33 pm

The first time the aircraft went tech would have meant there was very little opportunity to reroute people given that it would have been late on the evening. There are only a handful of TATL flights during the day. The best option would have been to to simply delay 24 hours and go again. Although inconvenient, this was probably better than sending people off all over the US on indirect flights. Clearly they got away later than planned on day two. Not sure why. They then encountered a second technical problem. Hindsight says they should have sent people on the indirect flights. Again they were faced with only a few TATL flights so were left to wait until the evening.

Nobody was saving that this was an ideal situation, but you can see how and why certain decisions were made along the way. Could BA have communicated this better? Probably, but let’s not forget there are a lot of passengers out there who are unable or unwilling to listen to advice and assistance. Who is to say that those complaining the most now are not the ones who didn’t listen?

Fundamentally disagree.

I’ve been in the air on US carriers before on itineraries where I’m going to miss a connection. I’ve been automatically rebooked whilst in the air on alternative routings.

Quite simply this should have been done the first time, with the guarantee that people would have got home soonest, as opposed to what was the most convenient (and cheapest option) for BA.
SK, Buster and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Fundamentally disagree.

I’ve been in the air on US carriers before on itineraries where I’m going to miss a connection. I’ve been automatically rebooked whilst in the air on alternative routings.

Quite simply this should have been done the first time, with the guarantee that people would have got home soonest, as opposed to what was the most convenient (and cheapest option) for BA.
I don’t believe I mentioned convenient of cheap for BA. The issue was practicality. You cannot really reroute somebody when there are not flights to reroute them on to. I suspect that many of the TATL flights were also busy as that would have been a cheaper option than sending out an empty rescue flight.

For the example you give, are you referring to late evening TATL flights or routes where options are possible. And the idea of rerouting before arriving is good, hence why BA appear to be adopting it.

oldone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.