Moving to AMS...go with BA?

Old Nov 4, 18, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by a380fan View Post
I live in AMS and still fly with BA. I find for long haul BA/Oneworld is a much better choice than the Flying Blue/Skyteam alternatives. Also I find with flying blue you have to work so much harder to get any decent benefits ( lounge access is only from gold and above for example ). There are several flights to LHR every day, and even more if you include LCY and LGW, so getting to the UK isn't difficult. I've also never found transferring at LHR to be difficult. If you're flying back to the US at all, then with BA status you also then get access to the oneworld lounges even on domestic sectors. Lounges in AMS are also pretty uninspiring, BA has it's own small lounge, so experiencing the LHR lounges is also good. Also it means extra couple of sectors per trip As others have mentioned Oneworld also means you can use Qatar, CX, AY or Emirates under QF codeshare if heading to Australia. American also now has a couple of flights to AMS during summer.

I do still fly KLM/Air France within Europe, as transferring through LHR isn't normally worth it for those trips. Especially as most are within Schengen, so travelling out of then into Schengen just isn't worth it. In the Netherlands the only credit card connected to miles is Amex with flying blue so I also collect points with them that way. The Netherlands isn't generally big on credit cards, and Amex is often not accepted in shops, but I do a lot of online shopping and it's becoming more popular. Or webshops are accepting paypal, and that allows Amex.

[EDIT: I was wrong about this for US citizens, sorry For EU citizens this is relevant... this might be another Brexit casualty ] Also if you travel a lot I believe US citizens ( I'm assuming you are American ) as well as a bunch of nationalities can apply for Privium. This allows you to feel like James Bond, allowing you to use a retinal scanner at passport control rather than queuing with everyone else for a human counter, or an e-gate. Also gives you access to the premium security line regardless of class flown. There are also lounges available if you pay the higher subscription but not worth it IMO. The privium passport lines can be a blessing, and has often made the difference between missing a flight. Schiphol passport lines sometimes gets slammed Sunday evenings, pushing past 1000's of people makes it worth while.

To summarise my feelings, I find BA has a bit more of a premium feeling ( despite what people may say here ). You get champagne for example on BA even in Club Europe, I'm not sure KLM always offers it even on Long Haul. If you fly Air France then champagne is a given of course, but CDG kinda sucks as an airport. BA can be a bit more hit and miss though, although being a brit living abroad I find afternoon tea with scones to be an amazing bit of home. Again despite the many complaints about this here. KLM is a very "dutch" airline, in that it's practical and does what it needs to do, and executes on that very well on that. There's less bells and whistles, although the delft houses on KLM long haul are cute as hell, but they are solid and consistent.
Very much appreciate your feedback! One question, on the part you edited, what did you originally say? I actually have both an American and Dutch passport, so whatever you originally said would still apply 😁
Old Nov 4, 18, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude View Post

Very much appreciate your feedback! One question, on the part you edited, what did you originally say? I actually have both an American and Dutch passport, so whatever you originally said would still apply 😁
The edit was for the privium paragraph. Nothing removed, just adding it as clarity As you have a dutch passport I would certainly recommend Privium for you then.
Old Nov 4, 18, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
If you can get a status match to FB (I've no idea what level it was but even I had a FB black card) then that'll sort out lounge access for short haul trips in Europe.
Old Nov 4, 18, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's not called "Flying Poo" in some circles for nothing...

Assuming you'll keep flying as much as you did to get AA EP and you can choose Oneworld airlines (and your routes make sense for OW) then I suggest you stick with AA for a year or two and see how it goes.

This particularly applies if you're going to the USA a lot, or to South and east Asia. KLM is stronger or equal to Africa, I feel. Meanwhile, going to the USA on AA as an EP has a lot of benefits, including using SWUs for personal travel.

Unless you do a lot of it, shorter haul in Europe in economy earns you little status with anyone so you may as well use KLM or Easyjet from Amsterdam. For longer European trips where you're basically travelling all day, via London isn't going to add that much to your journey and the BA lounges are far better than the KLM ones.

BA treat EP travellers well, not quite as unctuously as BA Gold but quite well, and the very good treatment on AA is definitely worth some effort to keep. So AA status will do you fine. You might also want to hit AA 1 million miles for the permanent (ish) basic benefits thereafter on AA.
Old Nov 4, 18, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
You'd have to be insane to connect through LHR on short-haul European routes. Longhaul may be a different story, but AMS is well-connected for pretty much any European city.
Old Nov 4, 18, 12:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by a380fan View Post
I live in AMS and still fly with BA. I find for long haul BA/Oneworld is a much better choice than the Flying Blue/Skyteam alternatives. Also I find with flying blue you have to work so much harder to get any decent benefits ( lounge access is only from gold and above for example ). There are several flights to LHR every day, and even more if you include LCY and LGW, so getting to the UK isn't difficult. I've also never found transferring at LHR to be difficult. If you're flying back to the US at all, then with BA status you also then get access to the oneworld lounges even on domestic sectors. Lounges in AMS are also pretty uninspiring, BA has it's own small lounge, so experiencing the LHR lounges is also good. Also it means extra couple of sectors per trip As others have mentioned Oneworld also means you can use Qatar, CX, AY or Emirates under QF codeshare if heading to Australia. American also now has a couple of flights to AMS during summer.

I do still fly KLM/Air France within Europe, as transferring through LHR isn't normally worth it for those trips. Especially as most are within Schengen, so travelling out of then into Schengen just isn't worth it. In the Netherlands the only credit card connected to miles is Amex with flying blue so I also collect points with them that way. The Netherlands isn't generally big on credit cards, and Amex is often not accepted in shops, but I do a lot of online shopping and it's becoming more popular. Or webshops are accepting paypal, and that allows Amex.

[EDIT: I was wrong about this for US citizens, sorry For EU citizens this is relevant... this might be another Brexit casualty ] Also if you travel a lot I believe US citizens ( I'm assuming you are American ) as well as a bunch of nationalities can apply for Privium. This allows you to feel like James Bond, allowing you to use a retinal scanner at passport control rather than queuing with everyone else for a human counter, or an e-gate. Also gives you access to the premium security line regardless of class flown. There are also lounges available if you pay the higher subscription but not worth it IMO. The privium passport lines can be a blessing, and has often made the difference between missing a flight. Schiphol passport lines sometimes gets slammed Sunday evenings, pushing past 1000's of people makes it worth while.

To summarise my feelings, I find BA has a bit more of a premium feeling ( despite what people may say here ). You get champagne for example on BA even in Club Europe, I'm not sure KLM always offers it even on Long Haul. If you fly Air France then champagne is a given of course, but CDG kinda sucks as an airport. BA can be a bit more hit and miss though, although being a brit living abroad I find afternoon tea with scones to be an amazing bit of home. Again despite the many complaints about this here. KLM is a very "dutch" airline, in that it's practical and does what it needs to do, and executes on that very well on that. There's less bells and whistles, although the delft houses on KLM long haul are cute as hell, but they are solid and consistent.
Flying Blue Gold maps to BAEC Silver, and Flying Blue Platinum maps to BAEC Gold.
The level of flying necessary to gain Flying Blue Gold is similar to the one for BAEC Silver: 12 shot haul Intra european segments in Business will give you 180 XP, the theeshold to get Gold. Compared to 15 segments in CE to get BAEC Silver.
Old Nov 4, 18, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
You'd have to be insane to connect through LHR on short-haul European routes. Longhaul may be a different story, but AMS is well-connected for pretty much any European city.
+1 to that. When you are connecting in LHR you always have to pass thru security and sometimes you would have to transfer to Terminal 3 for some BA flights.
I would try to stick to One World long hauls flight so you can keep enjoying priority/lounge/ extra leg room seat benefits. And fly KLM/ EasyJet for intra Europe flights. Even if you won’t make Emerald and only will be platinum with AA you will still have free seats at booking and lounge access and priority benefits on all OW airlines.
Old Nov 4, 18, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 View Post
And fly KLM/ EasyJet for intra Europe flights.
+1, and would reiterate the easyJet option. Good network out of AMS and you can get great value from a Plus membership. Cool new ad too...
Old Nov 4, 18, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
+1, and would reiterate the easyJet option. Good network out of AMS and you can get great value from a Plus membership. Cool new ad too... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUgwzJyZJE0
if you purchase exit row or bulkhead it will come with extra carry on and priority boarding and still probably gonna end up cheaper than legacy airline.
Service is similar to short haul BA - you have to pay for drinks and snacks so no difference here. Exit row seats have the same leg room on all airlines.
Old Nov 4, 18, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, KLM FB, LH M&M
KLM/AF/Delta has a much better business class, compared to BA.
Its a no brainer. If AMS is your home airport, go with KLM.
Old Nov 4, 18, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by mikem004 View Post
KLM/AF/Delta has a much better business class, compared to BA.
Its a no brainer. If AMS is your home airport, go with KLM.
Fir TATL flights no one can beat AA in hard product. All aisle access on new or refurbished planes. BA seats are somewhat more private and it’s not 2-2-2 like most KLM/AF planes. But I agree Delta/AF/KL will have better soft product than AA/BA.
Old Nov 4, 18, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Being based in AMS means most convenient direct flights will be on KLM. If you have to connect, LHR will be a bad option, because you'll have to clear security, which you won't have to in most other European airports. I'd go with Sky Team.
Old Nov 4, 18, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gateH15 View Post

+1 to that. When you are connecting in LHR you always have to pass thru security and sometimes you would have to transfer to Terminal 3 for some BA flights.
I would try to stick to One World long hauls flight so you can keep enjoying priority/lounge/ extra leg room seat benefits. And fly KLM/ EasyJet for intra Europe flights. Even if you won’t make Emerald and only will be platinum with AA you will still have free seats at booking and lounge access and priority benefits on all OW airlines.
Love all of the differing opinions Right now leaning towards this....stick with OW and go BA (or AA?) for everything other than short-haul European flights. Would go KLM, EasyJet or similar or train for those....and looking at some sample flights through Concur (what my company uses), looks like if I book OW the fare code is usually the Economy 'lower', not the 'lowest', so earning becomes a bit easier. Seems like KLM/FB earning is more challenging than BA since it's very straightforward and goes simply by class, and not fare code. My work travel will always be in economy and our personal travel generally economy, maybe PE, so feels like earning status with KLM/FB is more challenging than earning with BA, especially given I get that 'lower' earning for my work travel. Plus for any work or personal travel to Asia for example, going on a OW partner like Qatar, earns considerably more Tier Points. And the connection in LHR for non short-haul isn't a big deal IMO. Have done it many times and generally it's a 15 minute inconvenience, so no biggie for me.

Knowing all of that, think I'm on the right path?
Old Nov 4, 18, 5:23 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Whilst im something of a train fan it might be worth noting that it's normally decidedly cheaper to fly with an LCC like EZY and sometimes even with legacy, BA KLM, carriers than it is to take the train. As someone who's taken cross country and sleeper trains in places like the Ukraine, Poland and many other places it can certainly be fun/ an experience if for leisure but time/ money wise not so great for business.
Old Nov 5, 18, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude View Post
Love all of the differing opinions Right now leaning towards this....stick with OW and go BA (or AA?) for everything other than short-haul European flights. Would go KLM, EasyJet or similar or train for those....and looking at some sample flights through Concur (what my company uses), looks like if I book OW the fare code is usually the Economy 'lower', not the 'lowest', so earning becomes a bit easier. Seems like KLM/FB earning is more challenging than BA since it's very straightforward and goes simply by class, and not fare code. My work travel will always be in economy and our personal travel generally economy, maybe PE, so feels like earning status with KLM/FB is more challenging than earning with BA, especially given I get that 'lower' earning for my work travel. Plus for any work or personal travel to Asia for example, going on a OW partner like Qatar, earns considerably more Tier Points. And the connection in LHR for non short-haul isn't a big deal IMO. Have done it many times and generally it's a 15 minute inconvenience, so no biggie for me.

Knowing all of that, think I'm on the right path?
I’m not clear where you get the ‘15 minute inconvenience’ from. Any detour via LHR will add at least one hour, probably much more, to your travel time.

Search this Thread