Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA A350 - No first class cabin [initial deliveries 3 class, with 4 class to follow]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA A350 - No first class cabin [initial deliveries 3 class, with 4 class to follow]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TCX69

Apologies. 331 is the correct total capacity but J56 W56 Y219 is the configuration. Clearly can’t count! 🙄
If this is right, the J cabin must extend beyond D2. If you look at the CX seat map, and work from the back (putting in 219 Y and 56W), there is space left in the second cabin for 1-2 rows of J.
choosethedrew and george77300 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by A P Yu
The 787-10 wont.
Ah yes you are right - you see I don't get all the hype with aircraft usually.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
The 787-10 wont.
The 787-10 will have overhead rest for the Flight Crew but not Cabin Crew.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Skimo
On. The. INITIAL. DELIVERIES. !. You know, like with the 787
Not what I've heard
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
The 787-10 will have overhead rest for the Flight Crew but not Cabin Crew.
Are the permissible duty periods different such that this is a useful config, or is this down to different standards for rest periods (bed v seated) between the two on the maximum sector for the 78X?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by etiene

Are the permissible duty periods different such that this is a useful config, or is this down to different standards for rest periods (bed v seated) between the two on the maximum sector for the 78X?
They have different requirements for rest periods, but also different industrial agreements with the two groups which probably came into play too.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by richardwft

It’s that slight feeling of exclusivity that you don’t get in a CW dorm.
yup, can’t be anything else, bar a bit of subconscious snobbery

I wonder how much these larger WT+ cabins will suffer from similar ?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

yup, can’t be anything else, bar a bit of subconscious snobbery

I wonder how much these larger WT+ cabins will suffer from similar ?
When the price difference is Ł150 more than Y in the sale, not much is my guess.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
They have different requirements for rest periods, but also different industrial agreements with the two groups which probably came into play too.
I think this was actually answered in the fleet tracker thread: apparently the flight crew rest area is standard on the 78X, but the cabin crew rest area is optional. So I would guess that consideration of those differing standards means that going with the "off-the-shelf" config in this case just provides a little extra useable sector length for "free" versus going with a non-standard removal of the FC rest area [if that's even offered].
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

When the price difference is Ł150 more than Y in the sale, not much is my guess.
A lot then for BA THEN, if that’s what they need to do to fill them.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I can imagine, as normal, the decision to not have the cabin crew rest on the 787-10 will, in the future lead to massive cost implications when they decide they now need it and have to retrofit it, just like the 777 fleet and the flight crew rest...

As usual, bean counters of the moment getting things wrong based on short term bottom lines... Because they will move on and it won't be their problem in the future.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
...the decision to not have the cabin crew rest on the 787-10 will, in the future lead to massive cost implications when they decide they now need it and have to retrofit it, just like the 777 fleet and the flight crew rest....
Did they retrofit cabin crew rest to non ER/LR B772s G-ZZZA, B and C?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did they retrofit cabin crew rest to non ER/LR B772s G-ZZZA, B and C?
Nope.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I can imagine, as normal, the decision to not have the cabin crew rest on the 787-10 will, in the future lead to massive cost implications when they decide they now need it and have to retrofit it, just like the 777 fleet and the flight crew rest...

As usual, bean counters of the moment getting things wrong based on short term bottom lines... Because they will move on and it won't be their problem in the future.
I had always thought that the 787-10 is pretty ideally designed for LHR to East Coast hops, and is the natural long-term successor to the 747 on JFK routes. If so, the exclusion of cabin crew rests in exchange for additional passenger capacity is quite sensible.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
I had always thought that the 787-10 is pretty ideally designed for LHR to East Coast hops, and is the natural long-term successor to the 747 on JFK routes. If so, the exclusion of cabin crew rests in exchange for additional passenger capacity is quite sensible.
Which is roughly what they said about the 777s... "Oh no, we don't need to put flight crew rest on there, they won't ever go that far..." which then resulted in the "wendy house" in the First cabin when they DID need to send them that far, and subsequently by the installation of the OHFCR module into the aircraft.

Yes, I agree, the aircraft will be a great fleet addition/replacement and offer the capacity needed for more frequent rotations such as east coast US, but who is to say that in 5/6/7 years following delivery, they then start sending them somewhere else, only to be restricted by the decision of previous management.... Happened before and by the looks of it will happen again...

Hey ho... Short term gain, long term pain...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.