Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA A350 - No first class cabin [initial deliveries 3 class, with 4 class to follow]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA A350 - No first class cabin [initial deliveries 3 class, with 4 class to follow]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:45 am

Without F, it looks less likely that the aircraft will be launched on the flagship LHR-JFK route.
HIDDY, Tobias-UK and mikeyfly like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer

the prem econ trend started long before AA and most would argue that the US are late in that game.

Of course Middle East carriers struggle filling F seats, unless coming from the ‘sticks’ no one who can truly afford F (I mean buys last minute/always flexible) wants to connect in the Middle East. That’s why LX, LH, CX can afford to keep an F cabin because their home markets dictate the cabin and in a similar vein why BA should be able to too. Of course in a slimmed down offering, reduced route network which is of course the path they’ll go down.
This makes sense to me. I've always understood First demand is driven by convenience between world cities (LAX, JFK, LHR, GRU, SIN etc etc). This demand will continue until something more convenient comes along: long-haul private jets, boom supersonic etc.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Of course Middle East carriers struggle filling F seats, unless coming from the ‘sticks’ no one who can truly afford F (I mean buys last minute/always flexible) wants to connect in the Middle East.
Sound analysis, except I would add that in addition to the above the middle eastern carriers are not particularly good at pricing first class in a way that truly utilises the space available for the greatest possible revenue.

BA will gladly sell F seats that would otherwise go unsold at CW plus a small delta, and at some points in the booking window even appear to deliberately over-price CW vs. F so that passengers who don't have access to corporate discounts will pay a little extra and take F instead. Meanwhile BA are aggressive with AUPs and Avios availability too, but only when the seats would otherwise go unsold. Hence BA F cabins are indeed full of redemptions, AUPs and upgrades. But that does not really matter, because when necessary they are also full of real mccoy fully flexible F-paying passengers too.

There may in fact be a polarisation of the perception of reality among BA F passengers in the sense that if you are a true F passenger you will take flights mainly only with other true F passengers as these are the flights that true F passengers demand. Meanwhile if you an A-fare payer, a UUA-er or buy AUPs then maybe it is more likely than not that your flight will be busy in F with other similar passengers. Of course here on FT we tend to find the latter.

The ME3 have not yet learnt how to do F pricing like BA. There might even be political pressure at home to keep F yields up too even if seats go unsold, viz "this seat is representing my emirate", says the Sheikh, "we can't let it go too cheaply otherwise that will make us look bad"...

That’s why LX, LH, CX can afford to keep an F cabin because their home markets dictate the cabin and in a similar vein why BA should be able to too. Of course in a slimmed down offering, reduced route network which is of course the path they’ll go down.
Agreed. Ex-London Heathrow First should be here to stay.

Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Is it far too early to spot an A350 seat map out in the wild for next summer?!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
. Meanwhile BA are aggressive with AUPs and Avios availability too, but only when the seats would otherwise go unsold. Hence BA F cabins are indeed full of redemptions, AUPs and upgrades.
Someone will be along along to say its all a FT myth 😁
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Someone will be along along to say its all a FT myth 😁
when in reality both claims are probably true. It just depends on the route!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:34 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 9:02 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TCX69
So... The configuration of the A350–1000 is apparently going to be 331 (J50 W48 Y233).
I see a pattern here from the LGW 777 refits, which are J32 W52 Y252 - in terms of the WTP focus.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Without F, it looks less likely that the aircraft will be launched on the flagship LHR-JFK route.
It makes Newark a possibility though, so they can still say the new product is going to the New York market.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Please let there be some training flights around Europe first ? MAD / HEL ? I’m ready to burn some J Avios !
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:12 pm
Suspended

So... The configuration of the A350–1000 is apparently going to be 331 (J50 W48 Y233).
If we compare this with CX https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...a350/1000.html

Business: 46 (flat bed)
Premium Economy: 32
Economy: 256

It seems the BA CW seats may extend into a small non-dorm cabin in the second section of the cabin. Just a guess really.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Jan 12, 2019 at 2:18 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by richardwft

If we compare this with CX https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...a350/1000.html

It seems the BA CW seats may extend into a small non-dorm cabin in the second section of the cabin. Just a guess really.
I suspect CW will just have more efficient use of the space.

Last edited by navylad; Jan 12, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft

CX J seats take up a bit more space than Club World so they will probably fit all 50 before the second set of doors. It will be a mighty big dormitory either way.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Definitely not the configuration for BA
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Please let there be some training flights around Europe first ? MAD / HEL ? I’m ready to burn some J Avios !
Not necessarily MAD/HEL but there will be European training flights. Don’t worry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.