Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Avios booking / BA001

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Changes to Avios booking / BA001

Hi,

Newly registered here but have been lurking for a while.

After some shameless Avios and companion voucher grabbing I've booked LHR>JFK for May next year; out in J on BA0175 and back in F on BA0172 - our first trip in either cabin. Having done my research I've booked 63AB for the outward leg and 2AK for the return. We have no status so chose to pay to book those seats in J.

After making the booking, and having done even more reading, BA001 LCY>JFK has come to my attention. Doing some dummy bookings it looks like there is reward availability for my outward leg.

My questions are thus. Firstly, having now made the booking with Avois and a companion voucher can I change it to swap the outward leg from BA0175 departing LHR to BA001 departing LCY.

Secondly, having paid for what I think are fairly decent seats in J on BA0175 would BA001 be any better, bar the novelty factor.

Finally, we are a good 2hrs + from LHR and would be staying in an airport hotel the evening before our departure, needing to leave the car parked at the airport. Is it madness to consider flying out from LCY and back to LHR? What would be the best strategy for the car?

Thank you - as you can probably tell we are fairly infrequent flyers, especially L/H, and this will be a first trip without children in 4+ years!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, grantsteve!
Originally Posted by grantsteve
Finally, we are a good 2hrs + from LHR and would be staying in an airport hotel the evening before our departure, needing to leave the car parked at the airport. Is it madness to consider flying out from LCY and back to LHR?
How far are you from LCY and how would you get there?

Unless LCY is particularly convenient for you, and you could abandon reliance on a car, flying from a different airport that you have to travel to from LHR after already having spent a long time getting to LHR doesn't sound like much fun.

At the moment you've got a trip set up that works, and 63AB on a 747 is a pretty nice place to be. If you don't already have a good reason to change it, I can't really see one.
grantsteve likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Apart from the novelty value of BA1, I would stick with the current plan. LHR is a much nicer airport, and the car issue at LCY would add needless complexity to a simple trip. And 63A/B is hard to beat for a couple!
grantsteve and argonath like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'd stick as it is - Upper Deck 747 is a really nice way to first experience Club World (especially on a JFk service which often get the most senior & polished crew) - BA1 from LCY is a fun experience for sure and a really nice change if you're used to Club World, but I wouldn't say the overall service is a lot better - the bits that are better are really around the convenience it offers i.e. if you live near LCY, it's amazing to leave home an hour before take-off (with a 20 minute check-in) rather than 3-4 hours before take-off (as I do for LHR...), and landing in the US with immigration already done is nice. But those are convenience points, not directly related to the service on board

if you were in Club World on a 777 or Lower Deck 747, I'd be hallway tempted; but you're on the Upper Deck already. Similarly - on the "old" Club World offering I think BA1 offered some improvement in catering and overall service; with the new Do & Co catering on Club World to JFK, I really think it's the same/better now

And for the full experience - there is no lounge (none) at LCY; at LHR you will have Club lounges (go to Terminal 5B lounge would be my suggestion: always quieter); on the way back, you want to stay on BA F on the 747 for sure so that you can get into the Concorde Room at JFK which is always really nice and a good way to dine before a short night flight

Save BA1 for some other time!
grantsteve and T8191 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Unless LCY is particularly convenient for you, and you could abandon reliance on a car, flying from a different airport that you have to travel to from LHR after already having spent a long time getting to LHR doesn't sound like much fun.
It would be less convenient that LHR unless we used the train but then we would still need to transfer from Marylebone or Euston. Also, I wouldn't necessarly trust the return service to be running normally on a Sunday when we arrive back at LHR to get us home in anything like an efficient manner.

I've just looked up the transfer from LHR to LCY using public transport and it sounds horrendous so that's a non-starter.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
At the moment you've got a trip set up that works, and 63AB on a 747 is a pretty nice place to be. If you don't already have a good reason to change it, I can't really see one.
Agreed. I was drawn to BA001 and the idea of pre-clearing US immigration, plus the novelty of flying from LCY on an all J service. Also who knows how long that service will continue to be around.

However it sounds like it might turn out to be more hassle than its worth.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks to the others for their input - the message seems to be consistent!

Sounds like we are best saving BA1 for when the next round of points and vouchers mature and perhaps combinging it with a night or two in central London at either end.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:17 am

I'd agree - plus the LCY service is really only beneficial (in my view) on the Westbound flight - as it's a day flight you can enjoy the novelty of the "private jet" feel, and you get the benefit of short check-in and pre-clearance into US immigration.

On the way back, unless you actually need to be in City/Canary Wharf, I'd vote a decent Club World sleeper seat on a mainline service to LHR as being the better option every time.
grantsteve and T8191 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:20 am

especially since at LHR you get the arrivals lounge to freshen up - no such luck at LCY unless you pre-arrange their transfer to that hotel which is a faff: the LCY arrival experience is really geared to those who want to be at their desk in Canary Wharf ASA(F)P
grantsteve and alex67500 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratypus
especially since at LHR you get the arrivals lounge to freshen up - no such luck at LCY unless you pre-arrange their transfer to that hotel which is a faff: the LCY arrival experience is really geared to those who want to be at their desk in Canary Wharf ASA(F)P
Thank - just to be clear, it was never my intention to alter the return leg in F from JFK > LHR. I was just toying with the idea of travelling outbound on BA1 by swapping that leg to depart from LCY rather than my existing booking which departs LHR.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
As others have said, the only attraction of CWLCY is if you are close by to start with or can more easily connect there. The service used to be more attractive when it gave 210TP but that is long gone and I prefer UD 744 to the A318 seat.

Now, if after pre-clearance in SNN, BA1 would empty into JFK T7 for connecting flights on AA without needing to go landside and clear security again, it would be a different proposition altogether.
grantsteve likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I add to the chorus of "don't change".
grantsteve likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by ratypus
On the way back, unless you actually need to be in City/Canary Wharf, I'd vote a decent Club World sleeper seat on a mainline service to LHR as being the better option every time.
Depends where you want to go. LCY is a lot more convenient for many parts of East and South London.

Also the flights tend to be more focused on getting a decent nights sleep and not on maximising the experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.