Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Disability & mobility assistance. What do you get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

We are flying MAN - LHR - JNB next week in WTP.Our September holiday had to be put on hold and BA kindly allowed us to change our flight dates because my OH had heart surgery. He is recovering and now fit enough to wander about, climb stairs etc. He's been told that he's fit to work, drive and fly. However he isn't fit enough to drag a heavy suitcase and carry his camera gear for more than a few yards.
If I ask for wheelchair assistance where does that start? Does it include assistance to get to the check in counter - arriving at MAN by car is now tricky and its a long walk from the railway station. He'd struggle to get to check in from either I think.
We should be ok at LHR and I think that in JNB we can arrange a chair to be met at the plane for the long drag through immigration.
Never having needed this before I'm finding that the information on the BA website isn't much help. Can someone here please give me an idea what to expect.

By the time we fly home 2 1/2 weeks later (in F) we're hoping that he will be fit enough to manage.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
There should be no problem once you arrive at LHR. As regards Manchester there should be an assistance point just inside the terminal building. Ar GLA there is a telephone point in the airport car park but I can't speak for manchester. You can book level 2 assistance on manage my booking
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
It says on the MAN airport website that there are lifts, escalators and moving walkways connecting the train station and terminal buildings. If you look on Google Maps you can see the "Skylink" structures containing the moving walkways and going to T1/T3 and T2.

My wife is just starting to have stamina issues and we always opt for moving walkways now, when they are present. We don't walk on them though, just stand to one side and let them carry us - that allows her to catch her breath for when they aren't present or when there is some distance between the one we're on and the next one.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
The link from the train to T1 is ok at MAN, I'm not sure about T2, never having flown from there.
BA uses T3 which requires a longish uneven walk outside the buildings - this is the bit that I'm worried about. The wheelchair assistance only starts once you have reached the check in counter if I'm reading the information correctly.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
What about getting a ride service to the airport and have them drop you directly at T3 instead of taking the train? That's the other thing we've started doing recently, even though it's a comparatively expensive proposition.

RideGuru is saying $38 for an Uber Assist, which could be in error since all the other rides are quoted in £. But it's also saying £38 for Uber X, so maybe correct? £29 (if $38 is correct) is not massive money when it will save a fair bit of stress.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I regularly use assistance when my mum visits us in London. There are three categories of assistance you can book via BA:

Option 1 offers wheelchair movements at the airport from the time you arrive airside to the gate. This includes help to travel to checkin desk, security, lounge (if eligible) and finally gate with priority boarding ahead of Group 1 regardless of status.

Option 2 includes the above plus a lift to the aircraft in case there is no jetway available

Option 3 includes the above plus a special wheelchair so the passenger is literally brought to her/his seat

The effectiveness of this is largely dependant on each airport (BA does not control this directly), but in my experience option 2 works pretty well especially in well organised ones (like LHR or HKG) where long distances are actually covered with electric karts.

You do not need to provide any medical certification to have this, just book through manage my booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.