Wiki Posts
Search

IAG Capital Markets Day 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by simons1
But it isn't my hypothesis, evidence portfolio or knowledge of F that is important, as I am not the one building the business case.

And I simply offer the two examples as real cases of travellers who find what I am saying to be the case.

So let me ask the question a different way.....why do you believe BA is reducing and removing F cabins. I doubt it is based on some FT myth or some dastardly attack on first class travellers, more likely that they have just done the sums and found that there are more profitable configurations.
Again you appear to be being a little disingenuous, and you appear to put (out of context?) words in to the mouths of other contributors in an attempt to substantiate your own view.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I hope the new seat is nothing like the Q-Suite. I loathe claustrophobic seats
You know I often agree with you on many things, but here, I'll admit that I am not really following the complaint. I love private seats so for me the advantage of the Q suite (just like CW window seats) is that you can get full privacy if you want. However, if you find that mode claustrophobic, with the Q suite, you just leave the very large door open and you are then in a seat which is more or less as open as the BA F seat on the A380 (the seats are very different, I am only commenting on the privacy element) which I believe that like me you quite like. That is actually not possible with CW window or centre seats which are "obligatorily" enclosed (at least as long as we use the dividers - and even leaving the divider open would make it very significantly more enclosed than a Q Suite with the door open).

In that sense, I can't see how the Q Suite is anything else than the best of both worlds in that there is certainly no need or obligation to be enclosed if you find it claustrophobic, but you just can if you wish to. In fact, I've noticed on my Q Suite flights (quite a few in the past couple of months!) that there are always people doing both things.

The only seat I can think of as giving even more choice is the AF P seat as the thick curtain is a lot more private if you choose to use it (in that it is full height) but can leave the seat with any degree of openness when you choose to open it. That is arguably the "perfect choice" for ultimate choice but requires a level of detail and floor space that few other airlines (and certainly not BA) are currently willing to commit.

Finally, while I am all for choice, I am guessing that the industry trend is most definitely towards privacy. The discussion reminds me of the one to be found on the AF forum before AF introduced fully flat seats. Quite a few posters who really loved the old AF seats were openly against introducing fully flat beds because they said that in effect, in their experience, those were never quite as comfortable in sitting position as the best cradle seats and they liked to be as comfortable as possible whilst working. They had a point of course (it is actually true that cradle seats are typically a lot more comfortable in sitting position and that many full flat seats are not) but ultimately, the industry trend and market research pointed out too strongly towards fully flat bed for their argument to continue being heard by the airline. All the various polls I've seen (and there have been quite a few published in recent years) suggest that J and F pax demand more privacy nowadays so I fear that on that front too, even if you are far from the only one preferring more "openness" in the cabin, my guess is that this particular argument will not be audible very long compared to the trend towards greater privacy, individualisation of space, and enclosure.
dylanks, HMPS, Tobias-UK and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Some people here relate FT gathered evidence to real life when it comes to running an airline. If what you see on here reflected the truth BA would have gone bust years ago.
Dan72 and madfish like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Some people here relate FT gathered evidence to real life when it comes to running an airline.
The truth is that most airlines and indeed most big companies and certainly most public bodies are badly run, surviving mainly on inertia, and I am sure that BA is no exception!

One day BA will cease trading. So will Google. So will Tesco. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but one day - such is the nature of creative destruction...
HMPS likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The truth is that most airlines and indeed most big companies and certainly most public bodies are badly run, surviving mainly on inertia, and I am sure that BA is no exception!

One day BA will cease trading. So will Google. So will Tesco. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but one day - such is the nature of creative destruction...
You're cheery today SF?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Interesting to see the route map on slide 106 talking about the strength of the transatlantic network, and showing YYC - a place they no longer fly to...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Interesting to see the route map on slide 106 talking about the strength of the transatlantic network, and showing YYC - a place they no longer fly to...
I thought it had just done seasonal?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Mordac
I thought it had just done seasonal?
I don't believe there has been official word. No matter if a temporary or permanent cancellation, they are still not flying for the winter season. Seems dishonest to tout the strong network on routes not currently flown.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Again you appear to be being a little disingenuous, and you appear to put (out of context?) words in to the mouths of other contributors in an attempt to substantiate your own view.
My view isn't important. BA's is.

The only fact here is first class cabins are being downsized or removed. I believe there will be a commercial case for doing so.

You may believe otherwise, but it is clearly happening nonetheless.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
for the eagle eyed that wasn’t the only one. There are a few others too. Good to see a finger on the pulse of what his business does.

New CW seat fully out in 4 years though. Nothing like a fast paced response to an ever changing industry.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
I was listening to the IAG Capital Markets Day webcast again, Alex Cruz said...
Is the webcast downloadable? I've got the slide presentation but am interested in hearing what was said.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:50 pm

I don't believe there has been official word. No matter if a temporary or permanent cancellation, they are still not flying for the winter season. Seems dishonest to tout the strong network on routes not currently flown.
Calgary resumes 31/03/2019. Tickets are currently available for S19. Not sure if it'll stay as a summer seasonal route or whether it'll return to a year round route though. I'm assuming 787 issues will play a role in this decision as well.

However, you are correct with regard to some of the slides showing routes no longer flown to. Luanda was certainly one I saw a few times. It was also interesting how irregular CHS, DUR, and KIX appeared on some of their maps.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by no2blues
Is the webcast downloadable? I've got the slide presentation but am interested in hearing what was said.
Here we go, listen to the IAG Capital Markets Day here, registration is easy: IAG - International Airlines Group - Event Details - go to "Click here for webcast"

And it is also easy to flick through the slides to the relevant sections: in this case British Airways and the Q&A sections
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by LHRagain
I cannot believe that they are showing a chart to investors that in all consumer need segments IAG airlines underperform vs the leading competitor.
" Give us time, we are getting there" !

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Nothing like emphasising the fact that you’ve underinvested for x years and now need a step change and a truck load of money to keep up.
Sure, we are improving, never mind the competition was there years ago ! And is marching on...
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Some people here relate FT gathered evidence to real life when it comes to running an airline. If what you see on here reflected the truth BA would have gone bust years ago.
It does, will happen, who remembers BOAC ? And tens of other airlines, other Corporations ? Happens practically to all who are effected by inertia and mesmerized by short term profits ( BONUS !) or heads in the sand....

BTW BA already says BRAND matters ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.