Really impressed with how BA treat kids

Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Really impressed with how BA treat kids

I've had numerous great experiences when travelling with my son who is now 6, but was reminded again on Tuesday evening of just how well BA look after the kids.

We flew a domestic LHR-NCL in CE and at the gate they welcomed him by name before he presented a boarding card. I guess there weren't any other kids in the Group 1 queue, but even so, it was a lovely gesture for him to be told they'd been waiting for him. Then at the door of the plane they again greeted him by name and showed him to his seat (1A, so hardly out of their way). I can only liken it to flying in 1A myself in F, he had such a smile on his face.

I know these are only small gestures but they mean so much and make the occasion really special at that age.

😊
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Haha by ten he'll be complaining about the garlic bread being cold or having an unfavourable seat switch.
hessbo, Pascoe and Sealink like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by smokie36
Haha by ten he'll be complaining about the garlic bread being cold or having an unfavourable seat switch.
Or about some crying baby in the F cabin
jhneoh, msm2000uk, dougzz and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Haha, I hope not. It really winds me up when people complain about kids in premium cabins. If they're babies, they might cry, and if they do, that's just fine, it's what babies do. Having travelled with our son from an early age I have the utmost respect for parents travelling with young ones now. Lugging everything around through the airport, cramming everything into your hand luggage that you might need, it's a challenge. The last thing you need is someone moaning after you've just ran a marathon obstacle course through the airport to get to your seat. It is the single reason we flew BA rather than budget airlines on numerous occasions, because they just make it easier. If there's any opportunity to make that trip easier, I say take it, and if that happens to be by using a premium cabin, if you're in a position to do so, do it.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:00 pm

I know this is a thread to extol BA, but I also want to share another nice incident with VS and kids. Those were the days when they still flew HKG to SYD. We were flying with then 3.5 year old junior but for some reason they didn’t load a kiddy pack on the plane. Shortly after we got home, he received a huge package by courier, with a nice backpack and all sorts of goodies inside from VS customer service in HK. Couldn’t rub the smile off his face for the rest of the day!
Screeched and cornishsimon like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by smokie36
"Dad, you need to get a CCR card, this Castelnau is rubbish and I'd like some LPGS"
smokie36 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Foltan
"Dad, you need to get a CCR card, this Castelnau is rubbish and I'd like some LPGS"
Assuming LPGS is still available and hasn't been "upgraded" to sparkling wine
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've always been very impressed how good BA have been to us when travelling with kids - and it's not just because of being GCH, seems genuinely just a much more engaged level of service from ground staff and cabin crew when we travel with the little one: it makes a huge difference to make the experience less stressful: one of the nice discoveries I made about BA the last couple of years and for sure I'd try and fly BA over anything else short-haul at least with the kids...
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by ratypus
I've always been very impressed how good BA have been to us when travelling with kids - and it's not just because of being GCH, seems genuinely just a much more engaged level of service from ground staff and cabin crew when we travel with the little one: it makes a huge difference to make the experience less stressful: one of the nice discoveries I made about BA the last couple of years and for sure I'd try and fly BA over anything else short-haul at least with the kids...
If you ever fly East, any of the SE Asian airlines are brilliant with kids.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Screeched
Haha, I hope not. It really winds me up when people complain about kids in premium cabins. If they're babies, they might cry, and if they do, that's just fine, it's what babies do......
It is indeed what babies do, although I have sat in a longhaul premium cabin and seen parents (plural) travelling with one young child literally both ignore it for 10h, much of which it was crying for, whilst sat watching movies with their matching noise cancelling headphones on.

At which even amongst other parents in the cabin all understanding they might have had had pretty much evaporated. People want to engage in that style of hands off, 'don't give him an audience / don't turn it into a game and he'll eventually get bored / knackered' style of parenting then fine but please consider leaving it at the gate for a few hours.

But when I see other parents clearly making whatever efforts they are able to make to keep their kids busy, fed, as quiet as is reasonably possible (words very carefully chosen here) then I have no problem. I have even offered to help / played seat peekaboo etc quite happily.

It's not the noise that stresses me out personally - it's the anger I get from the parents who don't give a damn, and the disempowerment that it causes. I don't think I am alone in this (and I am a parent of a toddler fwiw).

Anyway back on topic and I agree - my experiences of the BA treat kids have been almost uniformly positive.
hessbo and Screeched like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BA; LH; AF
I echo the sentiment from my own experiences travelling with my (under two years old) son on BA.
One of the best I’ve witnessed was on a LAN flight from JFK to SCL, a couple travelling with a very new looking baby in J. The kid was awake and behaving well when the meal was served, but one of the crew was summoned by the purser and they offered to take the kid while the parents ate. The crew member’s face lit up when they accepted, and she spent the whole meal service walking up and down the plane cradling the child and quietly singing lullabies to it. As soon as the parents finished eating the kid was handed back and went to sleep. On arrival the parents spent a good few minutes talking to the pilot and crew member expressing their thanks, etc. It was beautifully handled all round.
JustTheOne and Screeched like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
That is awesome customer service (although on more stretched routings crew wise might be very difficult to offer consistently).

We had mixed experiences on EK not long ago - refused the bassinet (by 1cm, on height grounds, he's really not too tall) on way back despite being fine on way there, but crew went out of their way to engage with the little one when they could.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Screeched
Haha, I hope not. It really winds me up when people complain about kids in premium cabins. If they're babies, they might cry, and if they do, that's just fine, it's what babies do. Having travelled with our son from an early age I have the utmost respect for parents travelling with young ones now. Lugging everything around through the airport, cramming everything into your hand luggage that you might need, it's a challenge. The last thing you need is someone moaning after you've just ran a marathon obstacle course through the airport to get to your seat. It is the single reason we flew BA rather than budget airlines on numerous occasions, because they just make it easier. If there's any opportunity to make that trip easier, I say take it, and if that happens to be by using a premium cabin, if you're in a position to do so, do it.
thank you. Needed to read that after reading the other thread! Was getting more anxious about my first trip with baby coming up at Xmas!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
Don’t forget to ask for a Sky Flyers mileage book. My son takes his on board all of our flights for signing by the flight crew. He invariably is invited into the flight deck for photos and sometimes the flight crew return the book themselves midflight and stop for a chat.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Nice to see, however even though I am 57, my wife says I act like a 10year old, wondering if I could get a kiddy pack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.