Search

Tallinn Dropped

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Tallin suspension - Customer Guidelines

Summary
British Airways has announced the suspension of London (LHR) to Tallinn (TLL) services, the last flight will depart on Friday 29 March 2019.

The following guidelines are available to assist any customers affected by this suspension.

More information
Route affected: LHR - TLL (Tallinn)
Tickets issued by: 30 October 2018
Ticket travel dates: 2 April 2019 onwards

Rebook onto British Airway: Use standard customer guidelines
  • Rebooking Allowance onto other airlines 1
Rebook onto SAS (SK) operated services between TLL (Tallinn) and STO (Stockholm) or v.v. as close to the original travel date as possible but not earlier than 2 April 2019.

Rebook only using the following classes: Business - C, D, Z, I & Economy - E, M, H, Q, V, W, U, K, L, T, O, G, X, N
Must add OS SK INVOL AGMT BA/SK

Then book a connecting flight on a British Airways operated service between STO and LHR or vice versa. Rebook into the same class as original or lowest available in the same cabin
  • Rebooking Allowance onto other airlines 2
Rebook onto SAS (SK) operated services between TLL (Tallinn) and CPH (Copenhagen) or v.v. as close to the original travel date as possible but not earlier than 2 April 2019 and not between 24 July - 18 August 2019.

Rebook only using the following classes: Business - C, D, Z, I & Economy - E, M, H, Q, V, W, U, K, L, T, O, G, X, N
Must add OS SK INVOL AGMT BA/SK

Then book a connecting flight on a British Airways operated service between CPH and LHR or vice versa. Rebook into the same class as original or lowest available in the same cabin

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes
Yes - As per standard customer guidelines

Refunds Allowed
Yes - as per standard customer guidelines

Redemptions included
Yes

Important Information
One involuntary ticket change allowed from the above options. Adherence to commercial policies/conditions of carriage guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the user. BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time
Given the option, I would change at CPH. There might be a bit of a walk but at ARN there will be a terminal change.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:47 pm
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
So that means that some days IAG will be operating 3 flights to from BIO-LGW, that sounds surprising... So after September, will flights be back to LHR?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:22 pm
ECR

Originally Posted by Deltus
Nobody actually flies to TLL or HEL for the destination, do they?!
It is disappointing to see Tallinn dropped as it is a nice city to visit. I've only visited once previously and that was due to the amazing fare via Helsinki but I'm going back early next year on the direct BA flight.

I visited Helsinki earlier this year using avios, so it wasn't for tier points! Again it was a nice city to visit for a few days and I'd happily go back.

Unfortunately with BA dropping Tallinn and cutting back on Helsinki I doubt there will be too many good deals heading in this direction.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've been to Estonia several times, first time shortly after the Russians upped and left. No lowcos back then so I used to go via CPH and HEL then take the ferry. I had my bike with me. I personally think Tallinn has lost some of its charm over the years but it's still worth a visit. Lovely people especially out in the countryside.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:36 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Originally Posted by KARFA
Tallin suspension - Customer Guidelines

Given the option, I would change at CPH. There might be a bit of a walk but at ARN there will be a terminal change.
I wonder why they aren't rebooking onto AY?

I would consider SAS Plus a downgrade from CE especially when ARN-TLL and CPH-TLL are operated by the ATR72 or CRJ900

The flight times available to/from ARN are better than CPH; the issue with ARN is not really the "terminal change" which just involves a short indoor walk but that you need to reclear security unless you can figure out the airside transfer route, which I'm not sure is available since you need to enter/exit Schengen
florens likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Disappointing news. Probably not helped by the fact that Wizzair and the likes catch O/D traffic between LON and TLL now (recent additions).

To be fair, I'd much rather do my TP runs to MLA, RAK or CTA and enjoy some sunshine, than fly for 3 hours to spend the weekend in the cold, wet Nordics.

I did.

Originally Posted by xenole
I did the Helsinki Xmas market last December whilst on a few hour layover on a run to Tallinn. Chilly and got a lot chillier in the evening which made it less desirable to be wandering about outside.

The problem is that Tallinn isn't Helsinki. It's not in the same country either even if there are numerous similarities.
Yes, it's a 15-20 minute flight away or a short ferry ride, but outside of Tallinn, there really isn't anything major, at least in the guide books.
The country is still getting on it's feet and has only really had it's own identity for the last 2-3 decades.
I can't really say what the level of English is outside of Tallinn and unless you speak Finnish or suchlike, I would put odds on you having issues outside of the two main cities.

Unfortunately, Tallinn is seen as a stopover point rather than a destination. In time, this may change, but for the time being, Tallinn and Estonia provide a very limited arena within Europe.
This is a bunch of BS and clearly comes from someone who has no idea of what they are talking about.

KARFA, I wonder why no reroute on AY is offered...

Last edited by florens; Nov 1, 2018 at 10:28 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
To be fair, I'd much rather do my TP runs to MLA, RAK or CTA and enjoy some sunshine, than fly for 3 hours to spend the weekend in the cold, wet Nordics.

Yes! I love the Nordic countries, and when planning a break will always pick Scandinavia, Iceland or the Faroe Islands over the Mediterranean.

Got to say, though, I think Tallinn is somewhat overrated. It's nice but very small and can be done in a weekend.
florens and BorisBrownBear like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
If that means the good Ole tp run prices come back.. Please.. Nice sauna in Helsinki and Tallinn is a great city for a get away..
What is (or was) the Ole tp run?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by wytco0
What is (or was) the Ole tp run?
Think it's just something like Southern American / Country slang "good 'ole (old) folks" sort of thing.

It was around Ł232 for LHR-HEL-TLL return on business on Finnair (A350 if you wanted) and it gave you 200TP (80TP e/w for LHR-HEL and 20TP for HEL-TLL e/w).
Cracking deal and a load of us met up and/or booked multiple trips.
You could add MAN-LHR, for example, for maybe Ł50-Ł60 more if you wanted a regional connection.

Fine for a few weeks / months of booking until they doubled the price.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
Did it in Club and had a great CSD. Liked the route but couldn't see myself using it regularly. Wonder what will replace it?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC
What a shame to see TLL dropped. I was on the first TLL-LHR sector, and TLL airport hosted a very nice gate party. They seemed to be delighted that BA was here.

Incidentally, I was in Estonia for 5 nights, and spent a few of them in the Lahemaa National Park (not far from Tallinn) which was lovely, even in cold March. Tartu too was worth a visit. There's certainly more to Estonia than a wander around the Old Town.
salut0, florens and squawk like this.

Last edited by shefgab; Nov 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by shefgab
What a shame to see TLL dropped. I was on the first TLL-LHR sector, and TLL airport hosted a very nice gate party. They seemed to be delighted that BA was here.

Incidentally, I was in Estonia for 5 nights, and spent a few of them in the Lahemaa National Park (not far from Tallinn) which was lovely, even in cold March. Turku too was worth a visit. There's certainly more to Estonia than a wander around the Old Town.
You probably mean Tartu as Turku is in Finland.
salut0 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold

I love that part of the world, even in winter. Per my username I don't do well in sunnier places! So yes I have been to TLL and HEL for the destination (whilst taking advantage of that great fare and the TPs!) and the weather is actually a plus point for me.

It depends what you are into of course, but from the perspective of my own hobbies Estonia ticked a lot of boxes. Excellent birdwatching, a really cool craft beer scene these days, and as a knitter the traditions of Estonia are very interesting and distinctive particularly in techniques for lace shawls from the Haapsalu area with many books published about this. A longer trip into the countryside is definitely on my list.
HIDDY, florens, squawk and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:19 am

I am slightly biased as the other half hails from deepest Estonia, but I've always been impressed with my visits (as have other, less biased, members of my family), beyond just the Old Town (which can become overrun with cruise ship denizens but you can generally find a quiet corner to admire).

Lahemaa national park is stunningly beautiful, and the bog walks are something that it's rare to find elsewhere. Parnu actually has a decent beach and is pleasant for a few nights, Tartu is a university town of some merit, Saaremaa is almost magical in a Tolkein like sense etc etc etc. There are even several other bits of Tallinn beyond the Old Town worth seeing, and the food and drink can be amazing.

It is a dichotomy though - some parts almost feel primordial and very empty, but the infrastructure and people are very modern, and despite being a former SSR very much looks out west rather than back east.

I will concede that winter weather can be better (but perfect for visiting a cosy bar with some interesting beer and garlic bread (try it if you can)), and the drivers are occasional insane (overtaking seems to only take place on blind corners). I did manage to get heat stroke on a visit during the summer though.
florens likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by florens

You probably mean Tartu as Turku is in Finland.
I did indeed hahaha. I also did a lightning quick visit to the fortress at Narva to stare into Russia in the rain.
salut0 and florens like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.