Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposed ban on morning airport booze

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Coming from a country which bans concepts like happy hour, I was always fascinated by the fact duty free shops in the UK serve proper cocktails for free at all times of the day. I was going to Brussels for an important meeting with one of the world’s biggest companies. As I got out of the shower, our incredibly cute kitten decided to announce his protest to daddy leaving by shitting in the bed. I managed to save the duvet, but I no longer had plenty of time. Arriving at T5 around 8, on my way to getting a bacon butty, I was offered a cocktail by a very charming guy. I ended up having two, no bacon butty but managed to secure the contract. Moral of the story: don’t drink on an empty stomach, and even the cutest kittens are manipulative %}]*.
LTN Phobia and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
As someone who really quite enjoys his drink, I would totally fine with:
- no alcohol served before midday
- alcohol only by bar service (no self service)
- halting alcohol service onboard a reasonable time before landing
- limits to the quantity served onboard

Making poor decisions (especially: the decision to have one more drink) is much easier when tired, in an alien environment and intoxicated.

The sickest from drink I have ever been since I was a teenager was after LHR-SEA in CW: and the contributing factors included my self service in galleries T5B, the literal half glass of scotch I was given after the meal service when I asked for the Glenlivet neat, and the text message I got inviting me to a brewery-crawl in Fremont after I landed.

Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by frandrake
Very much against this law. It's stupid. I do not understand why we should ban alcohol in the morning, but allow it in the afternoon and evenings?

That said, I am always amazed when I walk into GF at 7am and see people pouring Champagne as if there was no tomorrow. Quite sad, but not to be forbidden.
Why "[q]uite sad?" If I'm in GF at 7am, my time zone clock is probably 11pm. Alternatively, I might be getting on a flight where I'll have an opportunity for a snooze, so one or two lounge drinks and one or two plane drinks (usually for a total of about 3) will put me in that "I could snooze" mode. And as far as the "if there was no tomorrow," when flying westbound home, it certainly seems like it, as I've just started a 32 hour day.
kaka, EuropeanPete and alpenlupe like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by V10
Overdue. And FWIW I think that it should also apply to airline lounges.
they should ban and criminally charge everyone who uses speakerphone for any purposes.

seriously, if thats a problem ryanair has, they should just stop flying.
EuropeanPete and memesweeper like this.

Last edited by kaka; Nov 1, 2018 at 7:39 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If the government want to control drinking at airports, setting the minimum price of alcohol (by virtue of taxing them at 500% or something, haha), removing self-serve, and introduce fines for people serving alcohol to intoxicated customers* would be better than a ban.

*Possibly the 'responsible service of alcohol' style, similar to Australia where you have to complete a course and face a rather substantial fine if you disobey

Keep duty free at the normal price but make it an offence to open duty free alcohol at airports so that people won't be swilling it there. Perhaps 'delivery at gate' system like they have at SIN for flights to Australia etc.?

That way, people still have a choice - drinking just costs them a lot.
It won't face fierce objections from airport-based shops that might lose revenue through the morning alcohol ban, and airlines would happily charge for alcohol 'since they are required to' by the government. Then the government will be happy to collect exorbitant taxes on alcohol (which should then be allocated to the NHS since alcohol does cause extra NHS spending).

It might just encourage BA to offer a better range of non-alcoholic beverages in their lounges - or may be not, to encourage more spending on drinks
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If the government want to control drinking at airports, setting the minimum price of alcohol (by virtue of taxing them at 500% or something, haha), removing self-serve, and introduce fines for people serving alcohol to intoxicated customers* would be better than a ban.

*Possibly the 'responsible service of alcohol' style, similar to Australia where you have to complete a course and face a rather substantial fine if you disobey
In the UK it has long been a criminal offence if someone "sells or attempts to sell alcohol to a person who is drunk", or "allows alcohol to be sold to such a person". It's also a criminal offence for someone to buy drink for a friend if they are drunk too, which is rather less well known. It attracts a fine on a scale up to Ł1,000, and would seriously endanger a licensee's renewal. Now this is not ruthlessly enforced (particularly the buying for a friend bit), but even on the Bigg Market on a Friday night every pub there will deny drinks to at least some customers. "Drunk" in this case uses a commonsense definition, the landlord doesn't need to administer breath tests.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the UK it has long been a criminal offence if someone "sells or attempts to sell alcohol to a person who is drunk", or "allows alcohol to be sold to such a person". It's also a criminal offence for someone to buy drink for a friend if they are drunk too, which is rather less well known. It attracts a fine on a scale up to Ł1,000, and would seriously endanger a licensee's renewal. Now this is not ruthlessly enforced (particularly the buying for a friend bit), but even on the Bigg Market on a Friday night every pub there will deny drinks to at least some customers. "Drunk" in this case uses a commonsense definition, the landlord doesn't need to administer breath tests.
Thanks, that's rather interesting, although the fines seem pretty small. It can be up to about Ł35,000 equivalent for the licencee or manager (individuals) here (Australia) and around Ł7,000 equivalent for the server here, depending on the circumstance. On-the spot fines are also issued, and licence suspension after two counts of supplying alcohol to an intoxicated person or a minor in at least some states.

I think it tends to be enforced a bit more strictly than it is in the UK and also with mandatory training etc. (you need a certificate before you can serve alcohol).

I've no idea how it would function in situations like BA GF/GC where alcohol is free-pour though!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by ilcannone
Yeah, don't agree with that at all. Pretty sure the UK surpasses Russia by a long shot.
From my experience here I can comfortably state the Russians can teach the brits a thing a or two about getting annihilated!!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
From my experience here I can comfortably state the Russians can teach the brits a thing a or two about getting annihilated!!
I think KARFA and Jamier45 could give the Russians a good run for their money
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Fair. My usage of the term 'posh' is largely tongue in cheek as the proposed ban is not targetting the flyertalk demograph, more the loco / charter stag do / weekend away travellers which has been a large driver of the growth in air travel in the last couple of decades. I was probably responding to the snobbery i've seen with regards to this article elsewhere (not on this thread I should say!) but can't support a ban on alcohol for those not travelling in business - should go hand in hand with an airport wide ban, or, more sensibly just be policed better!

It's like banning babies in business classes. You can't have dual standards!
I am not sure why a lot of the flyertalk members would not be being targetted - it seems that binge drinking is rather overly promoted on FT , just that the bingeing is on expensive alcohol - alcohol effects are not based on the retail price of the drinks

If it comes to pass, hopefully this will mean that the lounges will start offering a better selection of non alcoholic drinks
Sam Bee and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
I think training the gate staff to decide who is..and who isn't drunk would be a hard job. Ive been in the pub game for 24 yrs and i can tell u from personal experience that if u pull an individual out of a queue thats part of a group and tell them that they're holiday is over..before its begun....trust me..there's going to be trouble. Trust me..no one wants that job. You'd have to have a couple or gorillas at each gate..and even then i suspect there would be quite alot of violence...which is why the gate staff let them through in the first place..its non confrontational.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Often1
If this does happen, there is unlikely to be a distinction between whether one pays cash for a drink or is admitted to a lounge by virtue of ticket class or status.

The larger problem seems to be a failure of carriers to better police drunks in the boarding process.

Media and social media work both ways. A few reports of people being tossed out of the airport and people may think twice about showing up sober.

Same onboard.
Exactly. The airlines' issue and they should deal with it. If people are intoxicated then deny boarding. The law doesn't need changing.

Then again the airlines are weak at policing anything whether it's hand baggage, intoxication, priority boarding or anything in between.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Ryanair already have a ban on bringing on alcohol to early morning flights.

Heard in a MAN lounge at 5.00am -
husband - they’ve no red wine love!
wife - just get me a vodka then.
Shouted across a busy lounge.
A year ago I was in the queue for the omelette / bar service of the MAN T1 Lounge at 7.00am. I was, literally, the only person who did not ask for an alcoholic drink (omelette + cappuccino). The lady servicing the bar laugh at my order and ask: 'are you sure you don't want some beer / wine'. When I politely declined the offer, she said 'You still need to learn more about the mancunian culture'

So I am sorry, but some type of regulation / ban is long overdue. A some kind of central database linked to the boarding pass limiting the amount of drinks you can order should be more than enough.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
So I am sorry, but some type of regulation / ban is long overdue. A some kind of central database linked to the boarding pass limiting the amount of drinks you can order should be more than enough.
I'm afraid I'm a grown adult, who is more than capable of making my own choices & presenting myself at the entrance to a plane in a fit condition to fly. More regulation is not the answer, apply the regulations you do have. I don't need some big brother tracking what I do & don't drink. If I'm not in a fit condition then I should not be allowed to board. Again the do gooders seem to want to penalize the masses to catch a few miscreants

Having said that the state of the guys catching flights from Bahrain back to the UK, having just spent several months dry in Saudi was often comical. The number of times I'd see a couple of guys carrying their drunken mate on the plane & dumping him in a seat. He was never a problem though as they usually slept all the way home!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
A some kind of central database linked to the boarding pass limiting the amount of drinks you can order should be more than enough.
I'd be OK with that, but again, in reality people would just bring alcohol with them if they really wanted to get the party started.

10 x 100ml bottles of vodka would definitely be enough to get most people smashed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.