Wiki Posts
Search

Proposed ban on morning airport booze

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by RobDBA
In over 20 years of flying at least once a month with mainly BA and BMI, in all cabins apart from First, I have never seen any problem caused by alcohol at any time of the day never mind the morning. If this is a budget airline problem it should be solved by the budget airlines not by government - breathalyzer tests on departure with a certain level automatically refused maybe?
I had drunks on BA. One sang extremely badly to the extent I thought he was crying. He had no idea he had done that when disembarking, and people in F gave him 'that look' and he still seemed to have no idea I've seen quite a few swearers and noisy drunks on BA as well, although the singer was probably the worst due to the length of time he sang and how bad it was! (I have seen people turn nasty on crew members for refusing to serve alcohol on non-BA flights and they got tense, and also I have seen a number of people being offloaded by the captain for being drunk as well.)

I had parents who were so drunk they passed out and left their very young children to it completely and letting them run wild, with cabin crew members trying to wake them but either turning nasty on them for waking them up or completely failing to wake up, resulting in horrid flights for everyone including well-behaved children. It happened on quite a few occasions, all in F. While it was entirely non-violent, verbally or physically, it was grossly inappropriate to neglect their children like that. I don't know what it is with F that seem to attract people who do that kind of things.

Still, I do not think airport alcohol ban would be the solution. Not allowing drunks on board and refusing to serve alcohol immediately upon showing signs of drunkenness would be a better solution IMO. Actually, maybe simply introduce a heavy fine for boarding (or attempting to board) aeroplanes drunk or being drunk on board, or simply have a blood alcohol limit for boarding and remaining on board (not sure how to chuck them off mid-flight though - maybe have a special 'sober up' compartment by the smelliest loo?).

The lowest common denominator should not disadvantage everyone.

That is said as someone would does not touch alcohol at least one day before, during, and one day after a flight and therefore has no vested interest either way.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 1, 2018 at 6:55 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the US, there's an old saying "Well it's 5pm somewhere..."
Recently I've heard that changed to 4:20pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fotographer
Next thing you know, they will be doing a breath test prior to boarding
If we continue down the path of authoritarian legislation over individual responsibility then this seems inevitable.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by rickg523
We have a saying in the UK “When the sun’s over the yard-arm”. It has Naval origins and can mean anytime between 9am-11am (v roughly speaking) depending on your latitude and the height of the yard-arm.

What that says about drinking in the UK I’ve no idea 😇
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by ilcannone
Right...just because they drink more doesn't mean they act like idiots all the time. Not to mention Russians are more able to handle their drink...

But anyway, this thread isn't an Anglo-Russo drinking competition
Not a competition at all. My original response to your post was meant to indicate that the UK has a far lower alcohol per capita consumption than Russia and a far lower alcohol related death rate.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I like to think of myself as a fairly ‘robust’ drinker, after 74 years (less the younger bit). I don’t think I’ve been seriously inebriated aince about 1987. But over those decades, I guess I’ve developed a degree of both alcohol tolerance and judgement. OK, there was that JER Do when I was somewhat diminished, but at least I was quiet!!

The occasional holiday traveller, whether ‘accustomed’ or not, is IMO inclined to over-imbibe as a way of celebrating the experience.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:24 pm

Maybe it's to stop the pilots getting wasted?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46062122
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
And given the recent chaos, who knows what time it is in Morrocco, so that’s close enough for me.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Well BA seem to have banned drinking your own alcohol on board, so I guess something will happen to curb it more sooner rather than later!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've noticed than on VS there is an announcement that "alcohol will be served on the flight in moderation" and, if I recall correctly, also to not be offended if cabin crew refuses to top up your drink. Won't be surprised if that's driven by some bad experience in the past... But then VS strikes me as more of a party airline compared to BA
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never understood why FAs refer to alcoholic drinks such as Bloody Mary's as "eye-openers" at 6:00 am.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Well BA seem to have banned drinking your own alcohol on board, so I guess something will happen to curb it more sooner rather than later!
Since when?! I thought BA was just about the only airline that does allow it!

For the avoidance of doubt, I have never availed myself of this option, but the free-marketeer in me thinks it should be allowed anyway.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Since I think last week! I was told about it on a flight last week; and was pointed to the new High Life magazine which says somewhere in it "Alcohol brought onboard should not be consumed" or something to that effect.

edit: snippet attached
Attached Images  
Deltus likes this.

Last edited by ScienceTeacher; Nov 1, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
"Hello this is your purser speaking. We have a passenger with a peanut allergy on board today's flight from Heathrow to Perth Australia and also two recovering alcoholics so we shall be serving neither nuts nor alcoholic drinks during the flight. Thanks for your understanding."
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, HHonors Gold
I do find it very strange that people who would not dream of drinking before midday if they were t home, all of a sudden decide a glass of wine or pint of beer is OK just because they are at an airport.

I've no particular problem with them doing it, I think people should be free to make their own choices here, but I don't get why airports are considered so different.

On the issue of a ban I agree with an earlier poster, there is more and more legislation coming in to control people's behaviour. I believe people have to take more personal responsibility for their actions, and for this particular problem airlines be stronger in refusing boarding and/or further alcohol sales to obviously intoxicated people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.