Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposed ban on morning airport booze

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I was just thinking all the bad behaviour (very little all things considered) i've seen on board has been by what I would term 'posh people in the higher classes of the cabin'?

..snip...
There aren't a higher amount of "posh" people in premium cabins. Rather, in premium cabins you'll often see more people thinking they are posh. Big difference.
origin, T8191, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Petrus
There aren't a higher amount of "posh" people in premium cabins. Rather, in premium cabins you'll often see more people thinking they are posh. Big difference.
Correct I only fly a reasonable amount in premium cabins (just enough to get gold), but my "posh" friends don't fly anything other than economy for the most part.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by V10
I'm not, but as others have mentioned someone who can no longer drink in a public bar could secure access to a lounge if they can do so there instead.
I think that is somewhat unlikely in the context of the airports already mentioned upthread. I doubt non-BA passengers without lounge access are going to start switching to BA who only fly to London from those airports (apart from the few CityFlyer routes from MAN which already have specific alcohol restrictions), and start buying CE flight just so they can get a drink in the morning.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Petrus
Fair. My usage of the term 'posh' is largely tongue in cheek as the proposed ban is not targetting the flyertalk demograph, more the loco / charter stag do / weekend away travellers which has been a large driver of the growth in air travel in the last couple of decades. I was probably responding to the snobbery i've seen with regards to this article elsewhere (not on this thread I should say!) but can't support a ban on alcohol for those not travelling in business - should go hand in hand with an airport wide ban, or, more sensibly just be policed better!

It's like banning babies in business classes. You can't have dual standards!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
Why? Bringing this topic back to BA, are you aware of any early morning incidents in BA lounges where there has been drink involved?
Maybe more related to how those passengers behave on leaving the lounge, either in the airport or on board, rather than specifically behaviour in the lounge? Although, I'm sure most seasoned travellers have tall tales of what's gone on in lounges over the years!
SW7London likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC
I haven't read anybody mentioning duty free (apologies if you have). Presumably any alcohol ban will include this outlet as people will just buy it and drink in the airport anyway. Can't imagine the duty-free owners being happy about it.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Brexit / chaotic domestic politics I could ignore, a threat to my morning Champagne and Bloody Marys is quite another thing. I’m lobbying my MP! hick ........

Hopefully the proposed review will end in watered down ‘stronger’ self-regulation. I don’t have the data but is morning drinking really a problem in airports? Or yet another example of concocted media hype leading to a knee-jerk ‘we’re doing something’ reaction.
kingstontoon and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by KARFA
Why? Bringing this topic back to BA, are you aware of any early morning incidents in BA lounges where there has been drink involved?
I've seen seemingly drunk people being very loud but not violence (yet).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I've seen seemingly drunk people being very loud but not violence (yet).
Never mind alcohol control, perhaps we need volume control then ....
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
So long as we keep the pilots out of Wetherspoons all should remain calm.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Very much against this law. It's stupid. I do not understand why we should ban alcohol in the morning, but allow it in the afternoon and evenings?

That said, I am always amazed when I walk into GF at 7am and see people pouring Champagne as if there was no tomorrow. Quite sad, but not to be forbidden.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:24 am

I am a little confused as to what difference the time of day makes here. Are people getting tanked up in the morning, but not in the afternoon? Or is it more that the sort of flights attracting this behaviour (I see multiple references to stag dos) tend to fly out before midday?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by memesweeper
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...orts-faces-ban

Airlines have been calling for a crackdown on alcohol sales ? I'll bet that's intensive lobbying by FR and nobody else.
Wrong. Easyjet will be in there as well. A friend of mine flies for them out of Stansted and she has now told them that she will never do another Ibiza again. On one flight she confiscated twelve bottles that were doing the rounds and had to cancel sales of alcohol.

It's a shame as it spoils it for everyone.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Qantas (Club) Lounges don't serve booze before noon - everybody lives and just gets on with it! Maybe there's an idea for BA - swap the morning booze for a decent Barista station?

Saying that, I'm not in favour of a blanket ban however!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
Saying that, I'm not in favour of a blanket ban however!
That might be a bit cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.