Proposed ban on morning airport booze

Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Quite apart from the holiday crowd, anyone who works night shifts will frequently drink in the morning. I often head to the airport after work on a Friday and grab a drink while waiting for my flight, why should someone who gets off work at 4 or 5 or 6 am be restricted from doing the same?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by krispy84

Uncle T, I thought a couple of pre-lunch gins in the mess was the done thing in your day 😉
Originally Posted by rapidex
More likely to be mead in his day
But pre-lunch drinking was NOT on the agenda. I visited an RAAF Mess once, and everyone was horrified that I had a beer [or two] at lunchtime. After a 2-hour drive from Sydney, after a 2-day journey, what else would one do?

Strange as it may seem, I used to drink Mead.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
It's sensational this isn't already a thing. It's tiresome to hear that boozed up Brits can't damn well control what they drink then act like idiots on board.

Sheremetyevo Terminal B (the new one) doesn't sell alcohol anywhere bar the restaurants/cafes, not sure if there are actual time restrictions of serving as they do in shops, but still, an excellent idea.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by T8191
But pre-lunch drinking was NOT on the agenda. I visited an RAAF Mess once, and everyone was horrified that I had a beer [or two] at lunchtime. After a 2-hour drive from Sydney, after a 2-day journey, what else would one do?

Strange as it may seem, I used to drink Mead.
I’ve always found the Aussie military to be far more up tight than the down-under image would have one believe. The RAN is tighter than .......
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
It's a typical "nanny state" approach to the problem if you ask me. Punish the many for the sins of the few etc.

I agree with what other have said above. Stopping airport bars from selling alcohol in the morning will simply result in people purchasing duty-free alcohol and decanting it into their Ribena / Irn-Bru / Coke bottle instead. People who are clearly inebriated should be prohibited from boarding the aircraft in the first place. Cabin crew need to be less willing to continue serving alcohol to those who are drunk, or knocking them back with a view to getting drunk. The police and the courts need to be more strict in dealing with those who are drunk and disorderly on an aircraft.

I don't see anything wrong with drinking in moderation, at any time of the day, if it suits you. I will happily have a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa / Bucks Fizz / Glass of Champagne when travelling in the morning. Others may prefer a pint or an autumnal spiced mead (Dilly Dilly) but each to their own. Why should the majority of drinkers be penalised simply because of the excesses of the few?
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by ilcannone
Sheremetyevo Terminal B (the new one) doesn't sell alcohol anywhere bar the restaurants/cafes, not sure if there are actual time restrictions of serving as they do in shops, but still, an excellent idea.
Thankfully the UK has a long way to go to approach Russian levels of annihilatingly pissed drunkenness.

I’m not convinced this is a scandal, uncovered or otherwise. A tiny minority of incidents get media coverage and suddenly it’s a huge issue. I’m sure there are problems, just not a dramatic as some would have it.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by krispy84

Thankfully the UK has a long way to go to approach Russian levels of annihilatingly pissed drunkenness.
Yeah, don't agree with that at all. Pretty sure the UK surpasses Russia by a long shot.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this does happen, there is unlikely to be a distinction between whether one pays cash for a drink or is admitted to a lounge by virtue of ticket class or status.

The larger problem seems to be a failure of carriers to better police drunks in the boarding process.

Media and social media work both ways. A few reports of people being tossed out of the airport and people may think twice about showing up sober.

Same onboard.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Ryanair already have a ban on bringing on alcohol to early morning flights.

Heard in a MAN lounge at 5.00am -
husband - they’ve no red wine love!
wife - just get me a vodka then.
Shouted across a busy lounge.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:35 am

Yeah, don't agree with that at all. Pretty sure the UK surpasses Russia by a long shot.
Anecdotal, but the only negative travel experiences with drunks I've ever had were both Russians. Once on a ferry, once on a train.

Oddly, neither in Russia (Finland and Estonia).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_per_capita
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by RobDBA
In over 20 years of flying at least once a month with mainly BA and BMI, in all cabins apart from First, I have never seen any problem caused by alcohol at any time of the day never mind the morning. If this is a budget airline problem it should be solved by the budget airlines not by government - breathalyzer tests on departure with a certain level automatically refused maybe?

(To be clear, apart from a very occasional bucks fizz, this would not affect me at all as I am not a morning drinker. I just think it would be stupid to impact the vast majority who drink responsibly just because of a few idiots flying from Luton)
I completely agree with this. The overall level of education and manners experienced in low cost airlines and airports is very different. If they can't contain the hordes, then it could make sense for some terminals to pull the plug on booze, but again this should not be a law, rather a common sense approach for low cost airlines/airports to take without damaging the many civilised travellers.
RobDBA and T8191 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:53 am

Right...just because they drink more doesn't mean they act like idiots all the time. Not to mention Russians are more able to handle their drink...

But anyway, this thread isn't an Anglo-Russo drinking competition
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Fun to see 2 of the top threads are 'Swearing in F' and this story on 'proposed booze ban'
T8191 and frandrake like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:01 pm

Right...just because they drink more doesn't mean they act like idiots all the time. Not to mention Russians are more able to handle their drink...

But anyway, this thread isn't an Anglo-Russo drinking competition
This seems very anecdotal to me. I agree that in the UK, as in most of the "anglosphere" there is a culture of drinking and "drunks" are far more tolerated that they are in, say, southern Europe, but honestly I would not say Russians can "handle their drink". Death rates for drink related issues in East Europe and in particular in Russia are sky high.

My point is that we should not ban consumption "by law", rather we should ban drunk people from boarding planes and only if and where the situation gets out of control (like the famous low cost flights or terminals) then we should intervene with common sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.