Proposed ban on morning airport booze

Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This is silly if it applies to BA lounges.
When I land at 6am from Asia connecting to Europe in J or F, my body tells me it is 2pm. I am ready for some substantial food with a glass of wine.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
That might be a bit cold.
LOL!!
Brooklyn-LGA-Flyer likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
That might be a bit cold.
Hope you're not relying on the JW Blue to feel warm at LHR early in the morning!? Brings me back to my Barista station idea...
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Originally Posted by frandrake
Very much against this law. It's stupid. I do not understand why we should ban alcohol in the morning, but allow it in the afternoon and evenings?

That said, I am always amazed when I walk into GF at 7am and see people pouring Champagne as if there was no tomorrow. Quite sad, but not to be forbidden.
I don’t see any problem in having a glass or two or three of champagne o’r whatever when you begin your holiday, whether it’s morning, afternoon o’r evening. The alcohol ban is totally stupid. It’s the gate agents that should police whether someone is too intoxicated to fly. And if the airlines were that concerned maybe they adopt the American model and include security on the routes that are notorious with the binge drinkers!
BearX220, Eastbay1K, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Passengers that tend to over drink prior to a flight, will find ways to do this regardless of any ban
I myself, tend to enjoy a decent pint of larger/beer in the morning, (either coming to or from the US or Asia)
Next thing you know, they will be doing a breath test prior to boarding
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Finavia

I don’t see any problem in having a glass or two or three of champagne o’r whatever when you begin your holiday, whether it’s morning, afternoon o’r evening. The alcohol ban is totally stupid. It’s the gate agents that should police whether someone is too intoxicated to fly. And if the airlines were that concerned maybe they adopt the American model and include security on the routes that are notorious with the binge drinkers!
You're making a great point related to the very basic concept of negative externalities!
Not sure if you realise because you say that you don't see any problem...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Wrong way to do this. The airlines need to be more rigorous at the gate when they see someone intoxicated. They just let people through to avoid the confrontation but in doing so they’re moving the problem to mid-flight. There should be mandatory signage at airside alcohol retailers that states that you can be denied boarding if you’re drunk along with a recommended maximum unit intake before flying. The airlines should also be able to insist that passengers do a breath test at the gate, and if the passenger refuses they are automatically denied travel.
BearX220 and argonath like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Typical 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' response to a problem.
Surely the correct solution is to stop drunk passengers boarding the plane. Why should the majority be impacted by a problem caused by the minority?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:21 am

Though not exclusively, the majority of the issues are not long haul international flights or scheduled flights but your cheap Ryanair, Easyjet type low cost flights. And again there are several destinations that are worse such as Ibiza. These cheap £50 flights are bringing out the people that, say 20 odd years ago, would not have been able to afford these flights. Its the same people that, every weekend are to be found spewing up outside the club or pub in their local high street, people who basically have no idea what self control means.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by memesweeper
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...orts-faces-ban
Airlines have been calling for a crackdown on alcohol sales? I'll bet that's intensive lobbying by FR and nobody else.
How does that help if passengers turn up drunk at the airport? While I haven't seen too many heavily intoxicated passengers checking in at Heathrow, STN has plenty of them (even on weekday mornings). Some seem to think that a 6 am departure warrants going out the night before and heading straight for the airport. Drunks should merely be denied boarding, with repeat offenders being put on no-fly lists.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Are all these misbehaviour incidents happening before noon? If they’re happening in the afternoon and evening, then surely banning early morning sales is missing the point.

As a previous poster mentioned, many connecting passengers body clocks won’t be on UK time, so again it’ll make London connection a less attractive proposition.

I can’t think of any disruptive passengers on any of my morning flights in the last five years - so this feels like an overzealous move to tackle a relatively isolated problem.

Can’t see a ban happening, but can see fines/punishments for offenders going up - or more power to airlines, licensees, airport staff to intervene.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:42 am

This must be fake. A Guardian article that doesn’t put the blame on Brexit ?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:05 am

I need a large gin and tonic just to get on the plane. Could I get away with saying it's for medicinal purposes???
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have a personal rule not to drink before c. 13:00. But I do make a slight exception when heading off on holiday ... it’s a psycological thing, I suppose. “Let the fun begin.”

But, Dear Readers, always in moderation!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:38 am

This would still leave the boozers to arrive drunk at the airport, buy top up in duty free and the plane. The only positive I see is crowd noise control of large groups in public spaces at airports.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.