Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The curious +2 week flight time change & how will it affect me?

The curious +2 week flight time change & how will it affect me?

Old Nov 1, 18, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Question The curious +2 week flight time change & how will it affect me?

Morning All,

For those more versed with BA this may not seem out of the ordinary but flight time changes that have affected us are normally advised with at most a couple days notice so I was a little surprised to get this via both text and email this morning...

Now i'm certainly not annoyed in anyway shape or form for BA having their sh** together and letting me know well in advance but it seems a long way out. I not with some amusement that the change of time falls just short of the 3 hour EC261 threshold and the sceptic in me might feel that it may well depart after that time. This leads me to my next question. Will any EC261 claim have to be based on this new time as it was communicated +13 days out from the flight or would any claim be valid based on the original time that was booked? I haven't bothered looking to see if there's more than one flight a day and tbh im not sure we'd move it anyway but i'm fairly confident I could move the flight for free due to the time change.

Your answer on a postcard to the usual address and thanks in advance for your help and assistance

Clay'
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL (ex-CCR, future silver), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Check the arrival time, which hasn't changed.

Someone has forgotten to notice that Marrakech is GMT+1 and has updated the schedule accordingly.

You might have more of an argument that the time change was "significant" on the outbound, but you have more time in RAK and arrive in London at the same time. Don't see the issue here tbh.
TWCLAM, jfallesen and T8191 like this.
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:53 am

I'm confused by your post. You mention 'just short of the 3 hour EC261 threshold' yet the flight time has changed just one hour.

I guess you missed the recent news where Morocco announced they were scrapping winter time and clocks would remain permanently on summer time (with just 4 days notice). So it seems the flight has been retimed to allow for the clocks not changing as expected.
TWCLAM, stewardo, scubaccr and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Absolutely not EC261-able at this stage. Have a look at the arrival time - it's the same.
I'm a little confused about this "just short of 3 hours" - looking at the departure time it's only changed by an hour as well. But it actually hasn't changed at all UTC-wise.

In other words, I'm confident it's due to Morocco abruptly abandoning the clock change:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-45995634
It's only changed according to the Morrocan clock, only because they aren't moving it when it's supposed to move.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
OKAY OKAY OKAY - even for me this was stupendously stupid! No coffee yet and had the winter cold all week. Please ignore this entire thread as I somehow managed to totally miss the actual change and am an idiot!!

I looked for the delete button to save my own blushes but alas my congested head can't find that either
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post

Don't see the issue here tbh.
+1. Iím sitting here trying to understand what the issue is - and Iím still none the wiser.
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post

Someone has forgotten to notice that Marrakech is GMT+1 and has updated the schedule accordingly.
Possibly to do with this? https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...hange-1.785801

as you note, clearly the flight time wonít have magically changed by an hour.

with regard to compensation the OP can have a look at the compensation thread to deduce whether any is due - the answer is nothing is due btw.
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Just to pile in ......................the arrival time is exactly the same

However and more seriously I am sure we have all experienced and done the "can't see the Wood for the trees" scenarios.
wrp96 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Nov 1, 18, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
What is very odd is that our flight home from RAK this Sunday is still showing as departing at 1915, arriving 2255, ie thinking Morocco is on GMT. I tried tweeting them but theyíre still saying 1915. With a 3.5hr flight duration, if RAK is on GMT+1, that canít be right, can it? Very confused, even more so now your flight has been ďmovedĒ...

Last edited by TheFlyingCyclist; Nov 1, 18 at 3:06 am
Old Nov 1, 18, 3:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by TWCLAM View Post
I looked for the delete button to save my own blushes but alas my congested head can't find that either
That's because a 'standard' user can't delete a thread, although you can delete the post content.

Just keep it as a reminder never to throw a DYKWIA somewhere or something

No-one will think less of you because of this funny stuff, because we've all done it.
golfmad, wrp96 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Nov 1, 18, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
we've all done it.
Speak for yourself!
Old Nov 1, 18, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Accor Gold
I had exactly the same email this morning - well done BA for being on top of this recent short-notice change to Morocco's Standard Time zone (it will now match the neighbouring countries in the West Africa Time Zone). I've had to alter my flight times (also in December) manually in both Google Calendar and TripIt Pro as they haven't caught up yet.
Old Nov 1, 18, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector View Post
I had exactly the same email this morning - well done BA for being on top of this recent short-notice change to Morocco's Standard Time zone (it will now match the neighbouring countries in the West Africa Time Zone). I've had to alter my flight times (also in December) manually in both Google Calendar and TripIt Pro as they haven't caught up yet.

Weirdly, after some coffee and decongestant consumption so as to avoid another idiocy move, my google calendar needed manually updating but my google trips which I checked 1st had already updated it's times.
Old Nov 1, 18, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
I'm confused by your post. You mention 'just short of the 3 hour EC261 threshold' yet the flight time has changed just one hour.

I guess you missed the recent news where Morocco announced they were scrapping winter time and clocks would remain permanently on summer time (with just 4 days notice). So it seems the flight has been retimed to allow for the clocks not changing as expected.
And never mind the one hour: If there was ever something that qualified as "extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken", this must surely be it.
LTN Phobia, wrp96 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Nov 1, 18, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
And never mind the one hour: If there was ever something that qualified as "extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken", this must surely be it.

My stupidity, or the Moroccan Gvmnts adhoc time changing @Globaliser? lol

Search this Thread
Search Engine: