Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swearing passenger ruined first F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by thecoogan

What has this got to do with this man verbally abusing myself and my son?
You've been quite passive aggressive through the replies to anyone daring to question, so I've lost sympathy and playing the on-edge, felt threatened all the way through the flight card doesn't work for me. Sorry.
You need to have dealt with this properly at the time. You didn't, Move on.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I like the idea of fowl language in F. Was it a crowing sort of noise, or just clucking?
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:31 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by binman

I have to disagree. The fact that cursing and foul language is tolerated does not mean it is right. Foul language would not be tolerated in the work place or in say, a court of law.
Freedom of speech.... 1st amendment rights... Cohen vs. California.

Depending on the jurisdiction the court will not only tolerate it, they’ll stand up for your rights.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by amt
Freedom of speech.... 1st amendment rights... Cohen vs. California.

Depending on the jurisdiction the court will not only tolerate it, they’ll stand up for your rights.
Yup. And no such protection in the UK.

Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
There’s some question about balance of rights and obligations here.

Forget the rights. What about the obligations?

I can hope and expect passengers’ behaviour to be reasonable. Unreasonable in my book would be swearing about someone else’s behaviour , or their child’s behaviour, without actually addressing them directly or speaking to the cabin crew.

Equally unreasonable is failing to look after children. Which apparently is irrelevant here as it didn’t happen.

Babies don’t have the mental capacity to be bothered about reasonable behaviour, nor can they exercise rights , so let’s ignore them.

Which by my analysis leaves one unreasonable passenger behaving badly. Perhaps it would have been better if the OP had confronted him. Or if the cabin crew had intervened. Maybe not, perhaps Mr Sweary would have gone ballistic, who knows. But one unreasonable passenger is the cause of the problem, and thus of this thread. End of.

Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by arh1
Very different from prior similar threads on the BAEC forum.
On the contrary, I'd say it's very on par for this forum. The thread now has over 200 posts, that should sadden us all. But alas, there will be something similar next week and the herd will rapidly move on to devour the new carcass.

This sort of seems to be what FT has become...

Regards
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I don't know about that. When I was living in the UK, every time I booked the quiet carriage on the Coventry-London route it was packed with noisy people. And it was a total mistake to book that carriage as on the return leaving from Euston Station it was the furthest from the waiting area and they always announced the train so late that I had to run to make it to that carriage.

The good news is that I will never have to take that train again.

Going back to BA First Class, the one time that my wife flew in First Class from LHR to PEK, there was a 5 years old kid that spent one hour singing loudly. The parents did not hear him because they were passed out. To ignore that kid, my wife just increased the sound on her headsets ......
Why couldn't the cabin crew tell the brat to shut up?
dougzz likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
What has this got to do with this man verbally abusing myself and my son?

From your description of the events the man did not say anything to you at all He uttered his displeasure about the noise (or the presence of a baby in the cabin), using foul language (which is wrong), but he never approached you directly. If we use your logic, then other passengers abused you and your son as well because they were probably thinking along the lines of that guy just without saying it out loud.

I felt threatened and was on edge for the remainder of the flight. Every time my son cried, babbled or even dared to laugh I felt like this man could become aggressive or abusive.

Did you really think that he would start a fight because your son was crying? It seems that he did not approach you or make a comment to the cabin crew. I am sure he was not going to do that. People understand that babies cry and make noise. Yes, nobody likes being disturbed, but I just can't imagine a fight breaking out over a crying baby. The man was displeased, he uttered some swear words about it. I hear such words on almost every flight when there is a delay or a technical problem and passengers start vocalizing their displeasure directed at absolutely no one in particular. I probably do that too without even realizing it.

It seems that you really expect the worst from people. Nothing really happened here. Someone on a flight will always say or think something or give evil looks when they see a baby assuming that there will be noise. So what? Life goes on, the plane takes off, lands and people forget that they were even on the flight in the presence of a baby.
SK, sl1ppy, origin and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Andriyko; Nov 3, 2018 at 8:58 am
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why couldn't the cabin crew tell the brat to shut up?
Did anyone ask them to intervene? And had they intervened i’d expect them to wake the parents...
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by memesweeper

Did anyone ask them to intervene? And had they intervened i’d expect them to wake the parents...
IMO the cabin crew should have used common sense and insisted that the kid stop singing, without waiting for some other passengers to complain. Waking the parents would also have been appropriate, regardless of whether the cabin crew could have stopped the singing without the parents intervening.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:57 am

I felt threatened and was on edge for the remainder of the flight. Every time my son cried, babbled or even dared to laugh I felt like this man could become aggressive or abusive.

I’m quite surprised and disappointed by many of these replies. You have my backing. I wish I had been working in your cabin that day. I think his behaviour was very aggressive even if he didn’t actually say it to your face. He didn’t have to, he said it loud and clear enough for you, and possibly everyone else, to know exactly who it was aimed at. I’m not surprised you didn’t actually speak to him. Probably worried it would cause a confrontation. I’ve seen people tut and roll their eyes when they have seen children and babies near them before they have even made a sound. It’s happened to me when I’ve travelled with my own kids! I’ve never seen or heard behaviour as you have described it so please don’t think it happens often. Kind Regards.

Last edited by flygirl68; Nov 3, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:13 am

I'd have taken what he said to be aggressive to be honest.

I don't have kids but I sure as hell wouldn't feel it necessary to get nasty about one that was making noise. It's a baby ffs, it doesn't have control over itself.

The miserable b*st*rd that swore about it... definitely should have.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
You've been quite passive aggressive through the replies to anyone daring to question, so I've lost sympathy and playing the on-edge, felt threatened all the way through the flight card doesn't work for me. Sorry.
You need to have dealt with this properly at the time. You didn't, Move on.
If i come across like that, I can only apologise. I guess I’m frustrated about what happened and some of these posts also are surprising and unpleasant too.

On your second point. I mentioned feeling on-edge and feeling threatened in my first post. I’ve never changed this stance and was exactly how it made me feel. I spoke to the cabin crew working the cabin at the time. I’m really not sure what else I could of done other than confront him (which I’m not sure would of helped anyone).
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by binman
You would need to know us and my daughter. She never cried and was distraught and my wife and I are both well travelled and very level headed. The situation was unique and very upsetting for everyone and I did think she was very ill. In the end it was probably just exhaustion. Its never happened since.

I have to disagree. The fact that cursing and foul language is tolerated does not mean it is right. Foul language would not be tolerated in the work place or in say, a court of law.

The use of foul language in a public place may be seen as harassment causing alarm, distress or a fear of violence. That shifts it into a criminal activity irrespective of whether there is actual violence.

I wish I could be as relaxed and accepting but I am in an ever decreasing minority in that I do not like animals in cabins. I find it really rather strange. In the USA the use of so called "emotional support animals" has got completely out of control. That said, recent LAX JFK flights on AA all had dogs in J, all tiny things in hand bags........Did not cause me any distress or disturbance but I couldn't help wondering what happens if someone was allergic.

I also have friends in HKG who only ever fly AF for the reason that they allow their cat in the cabin.

Genuinely conflicted here as my instinct is to recoil but as my wife said, I would be perfectly happy if it were a guide dog for example........
The animals in the cabin should only be in their traveling baskets, and you really should not know that they are there. I have traveled with my friend and the bundle of fluff. He was on the floor and frankly neither made a movement not was there a peep out of him. The whole Emotional Support nonsense is exactly that. I am afraid that allergies are a great deal more common that they used to be and again I do not know what would happen in someone around them turned out to be allergic.

In which cabin do your friends travel with AF as I wondered if the animals were allowed in Business Class.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:02 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jep8821
I love to play devils advocate... so here I go... "public tansport" .... love how people throw that term around in this thread to justify the baby crying but not the guy cursing...... so let me throw this right back at you.... if the parents didn't want to hear cussing /etc.. then shouldn't they be the one's to procure the "private jet"? So if the parents can't handle people getting upset with them and cussing about the kid crying for 1.5hrs.... they should quit their moaning..... an eye for an eye.... crying baby... bad acting adult..... equals itself out...
Perhaps you could bring yourself to read the thread properly. The baby cried for 15 - 20 minutes. Babies can't generally help crying, it's what they do when they are uncomfortable. The adult can certainly stop swearing unless they have Tourette's Syndrome. You are comparing apples and pears. From certain angles they look the same, but the flavour is different.
flygirl68, rickg523 and thecoogan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.