Swearing passenger ruined first F

Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
These things happen, there are d1cks in First as well as Economy. I wouldn’t let it ruin my day or give it a second thought.

A crying kid is also annoying, perhaps it’s six of one......
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Will100
These things happen, there are d1cks in First as well as Economy. I wouldn’t let it ruin my day or give it a second thought.

A crying kid is also annoying, perhaps it’s six of one......
But a babbling baby?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:50 pm

Most of my family live on the other side of the world, so flying is probably the only option for them to meet our child. We’ve been travelling in economy and club, I have to say, from my experience, people from economy seems to be more understanding.

In OP case, the cabin crew should really have a quiet word with the swearing man though. That is not acceptable behaviour on any public transport.

I’ve just booked our next year trip in First, so we will see.
muji likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:39 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Nothing beats my noise canceling headphones.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Buying a ticket in F does not come with a guarantee of silence and anyone who buys a ticket with this expectation is taking a big gamble. It is as one or two have stated still public transport, albeit a very expensive form. Would he have made the same outburst had he been disturbed by loud and prolonged turbulence with repeated announcements coming from the PA as well as the seatbelt sign pinging off and on?
This.

I fly a lot, often up front, and mostly (95%?) in peace and quiet. When someone has a baby who cannot keep quiet, i don't go after them or the child. It's just a factor of public transport. And I've never seen a kid who could scream for 14 straight hours! After a while the kid calms down (the worst I had was about a complete hour).
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:55 pm

Sorry, OP, that sounds a bit miserable. Good to vent, though. We fly a lot with our one-year old. Amazingly, he's been mostly quiet on many, many flights in all cabins.

We've still had all kinds of comments, most amusingly, a drunk bloke (why is it always men, by the way?) in 4A of a BA 747 F cabin who shouted, "A baby? A f*cking baby? F*ck, f*ck, F*CK NOOOO!" as we walked on with our sleeping then-six-month old. I said something like, "I'm terribly sorry, but they said we couldn't put him in the hold." He (the swearing man) was fine after that, if comatose.

You'll laugh about it in time, I hope, as we have done, and I very much hope you won't remember your first First as being ruined.

Equally, though, we've had very many positive and kind comments from pax. Those can get forgotten when you end up in a nasty situation like the one you describe. Most passengers really do have a lot of goodwill toward infants.

And of course I am also that solo traveler, slightly freaking out when I see a family with a young baby get on board, and I'm desperate for some sleep. But, that's when Mr & Mrs Bose come to the rescue.

Anyway, I'm really sorry. It's a thorny issue, and I can see you're upset. Give it a few days, and I hope it really does become as insignificant as the "infants occasionally make noise, adults occasionally lose control and swear" mantra you've seen mentioned a few times in this thread.

From personal experience, please don't for one second let this put you off your next trip in F with your young family. Or, to put it another way: "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Sheer Look of Terror in the Faces of Other Passengers when I Enter Premium Cabins with my Infant-in-Arms."

Last edited by newyorklondon; Nov 1, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by so3003
As a general rule, parents find it very distressing when their child is distressed. The typical response by a parent to a child in distress is to comfort them. Not to sit back and bask in whatever annoyance the child's distress is causing others. This point seems to be missed by many on here.
I'm not sure I'd agree with particular parental actions as being typical versus atypical--just as bystander behavior varies widely. There are plenty of parents who are oblivious to most annoying behavior that they together with their young ones could exhibit, including repetitive loud, short bursts of screaming (out of delight, not due to the child's discomfort). But we digress.

Public aircraft. Use earplugs and noise-cancelling headphones. If you don't want to spend money on the headphones, spend it on taking the private jet.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Those who get offended by swearing or “foul mouths” must live a very sheltered existence. In most walks of life (outside of missionary tea circles) it is rather commonplace. And fortunately the blessing of infant amnesia will mean your son won’t be too traumatised by the nasty potty mouth man.
This rather missed the nuance that comes with swearing. As a committed potty mouth, I know full well that the same word can mean many different things when said in different ways.

Perhaps the OP’s issue here isn’t the words used, but the passive-aggressive (or even cowardly) manner in which they were spoken.
Grog, HIDDY, flygirl68 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Those who get offended by swearing or “foul mouths” must live a very sheltered existence. In most walks of life (outside of missionary tea circles) it is rather commonplace. And fortunately the blessing of infant amnesia will mean your son won’t be too traumatised by the nasty potty mouth man.
Not sure I'd agree. We all live in--and move between--different circles, and have different tolerances for vulgar, gore, blasphemy, and politics. No one should be offended by the fact that others might be more easily offended that they are.
muji likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:11 pm

For me, an enjoyable flight, is an empty one. This thread and the body odour one confirm that.

Short haul, like LGW-BCN: BA, EZY, or VY? For me, Club or not, champagne or not, I would take empty VY over full BA.

The same applies in long haul. Day flight, empty W or full F? Empty W please.

Busy cabins aren't nice.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by thecoogan
Yes. For his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins to meet him plane travel is the only option.
Couldn't they just look a local baby, they really do all look the same.
sgm, BlueThroughCrimp and PAL62V like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:57 am

For those advocating noise cancelling headphones, do you have some technology that I don't? My Bose do nothing for things like screaming children or indeed angry swearing blokes.they are great for eliminating constant sounds like engines or air con, but they can't cancel essentially unpredictable sounds.

I can understand that very well fitting earplugs could be effective for such things, but they would also prevent the necessary noise cancelling sounds getting in.
LTN Phobia and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Earplugs are the way. I don't have kids and never will (past it) but I don't understand the hostility to a screaming baby. I'm now off for a 12 hour flight and have my earplugs in my man-bag. Sorted.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
For those advocating noise cancelling headphones, do you have some technology that I don't? My Bose do nothing for things like screaming children or indeed angry swearing blokes.they are great for eliminating constant sounds like engines or air con, but they can't cancel essentially unpredictable sounds.

I can understand that very well fitting earplugs could be effective for such things, but they would also prevent the necessary noise cancelling sounds getting in.
What I have is an active noise cancelling earphones with custom-fitted noise-isolating earbuds. Active noise cancelling is not useful for sudden noises like screeches and shouts. Noise isolating earbuds essentially work as earplugs (so they are dual-function - they are earbuds for the earphones but they also block out external noise, to an extent) so they do help a bit, but even those do not sufficiently block out screaming children or shrieking/shouting adults, especially higher pitched ones.

I got these because those piercing sounds physically hurt my ears and I find them highly unpleasant and distressing (some kind of brain damage when I was born caused hypersensitive hearing and a few other problems with brain part of my ears, apparently) to the point it makes me feel like cutting off my ears (!) so that I can't hear them. Sadly, they only help a bit. Noise isolating earbuds are far more effective than the active noise cancelling part of them. Consequently, I spend quite a few flights in a complete state of quiet but utter misery because as I see it, it's my problem and not other people's so I have to put up and shut up, unless someone is being completely unreasonable (like shouting abuse at someone repeatedly or being genuinely unreasonably loud).

Sometimes though, the trouble is that the active noise cancelling reduces the background noise like engine droning, so you end up hearing other noises more clearly.

The combination works fairly well for blocking the snoring sound though!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 2, 2018 at 1:40 am
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside

Custom earplugs and Bose (over the ear) NC headphones works for me. Everything reduced to a dull background drone.

In very extreme circumstances* adding some soft classical music on top really does eliminate all other noise.

* such as the two bankers across the aisle who wanted to share their great tech deal with the whole of the 747 UD while working through every variant of whisky available on the plane from LAX-LHR. Kids eventually get tired, not these guys....
Dover2Golf and geerat like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.