Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swearing passenger ruined first F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The Heathrow lost property database is searchable, if they ended up there. But after a few near misses I decided small black containers = bad, big pink containers = good. Ditto phone cases.
C-W-S saves the day! It seems they have them! Several hundred-odd times, I thank you!
Now...where did I leave all those Maui Jims (despite their lurid Hawaiian print soft cases!)
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
So, any childless King Herod's out there, chill, let nature take it's course and have another glass of fizz while you watch a movie.
I'll just switch off my hearing aids! And watch a movie that hopefully has subtitles!!
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by thecoogan
It said something along the lines of “Oh for f**kesake. B**locks. F**ksake. F**king unbelievable. F**king outrage
That sounds just like me - watching a football match.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So what do you propose that they do with them? Stick them in the hold?
It would only be a matter of time before we got a "Crying baby ruined my first BA Hold experience!" thread.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
C-W-S saves the day! It seems they have them! Several hundred-odd times, I thank you!
Now...where did I leave all those Maui Jims (despite their lurid Hawaiian print soft cases!)
If you happen to be Gold, the collection fee should be waived too. That's a little known perk.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dcmike
It would only be a matter of time before we got a "Crying baby ruined my first BA Hold experience!" thread.
I hope so. Then assuming the OP's story is correct we can all lay into the absolute arse.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem here is that the parent should have stopped the kid from kicking your seat when it first started. It should have never been necessary for you to request that the child stop kicking your seat.
I'd always give the parent the benefit of the doubt, and assume they haven't noticed it. Initially the tray table was down so would have been difficult for the mother to notice, hence I got my request in quickly as soon as the tray table went up and we started taxiing.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
If you happen to be Gold, the collection fee should be waived too. That's a little known perk.
And the day just gets better!
However I now have to sort out the minor issue of most of my flights (WAW being the most common) departing from T5 as of Monday ...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
So what do you propose that they do with them? Stick them in the hold?
Already proposed by a Canadian Airline
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Several recent posts have been removed from this discussion, which stemmed from one member posting a personal attack against another.

Please debate the topic cordially - avoid ad hominem arguments

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
thecoogan likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
From my personal experience most parents never realize other people's situations nor do they care. It's a child.. What do you want to do? It's free to do everything .. I am not saying this was you.. I am just saying this is my situation almost anytime anywhere.
My last short haul was very hard to bare for me. At the belt the family was right behind when dad says to his wife, so it wasn't that bad after all. I couldn't resist to turn around and say. For me it was. I thought he would get rude.. Or give me the usual it's a child what do you want me to do.. But he just plain out didn't understand what I meant. Haha
I truly believe from my experience that most parents don't realize the distraction their pride causes to other passengers.. Just saying
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
From my personal experience most parents never realize other people's situations nor do they care. It's a child.. What do you want to do? It's free to do everything .. I am not saying this was you.. I am just saying this is my situation almost anytime anywhere.
My last short haul was very hard to bare for me. At the belt the family was right behind when dad says to his wife, so it wasn't that bad after all. I couldn't resist to turn around and say. For me it was. I thought he would get rude.. Or give me the usual it's a child what do you want me to do.. But he just plain out didn't understand what I meant. Haha
I truly believe from my experience that most parents don't realize the distraction their pride causes to other passengers.. Just saying
I get that, we aren't like that at all. We give him 100% of our attention in and out of home. I take about 50-60 flights annually and have seen some really unruly children and also have seen parent's trying to set/distract their children. But, IMO, neither of these two situation should result an adult swearing at or about the child.

Like I said before, the passenger made me feel like at any point he could have a pop at me, my wife or child. I don't think this is unacceptable demand.

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
This thread is a little depressing. I feel bad for the family being attacked. Long before I had a family of my own I had to tell some swearing lunatic to shut up when he was on one of these rants about a baby because he'd woken me up in Club. The poor mother was frantically trying to escape the cabin with the baby and I was pleasantly surprised to get a couple of 'hear hear's from fellow passengers so I'd assumed a thread like this would be met with support not derision. I guess it was a lucky day or there were just a few fathers on their way home after business trips sympathetic to the plight of travelling families...

I don't really get the baby noise thing - if it's not your kid it's just background noise like the seatbelt light, drunk noisy passengers, snoring, and so on. Tune it out or put noise cancelling headphones on. Someone actually shouting/swearing is a pretty disruptive thing to everyone not just those with a noise sensitivity problem. I am sympathetic though to people who are very noise sensitive, and I feel bad for them, perhaps this chap does deserve some sympathy too as flying might be hell for him due to that, and perhaps refuge in First is something he can barely afford but has to do just to go anywhere. But swearing/shouting/anger/worry about violence (something that sadly breaks out on planes when people get drunk/angry) is something that raises tension and disrupts all passengers not just those who are impacted by a little noise.

I think sometimes we forget how lucky we are when having a mini tantrum about something. Back when my business was new we couldn't fly in comfort. It was packed in at the back or not at all when we had to go to business meetings. In relative terms it was a lot *more* money to fly at all back then than it is to fly in Club now. Probably by a full order of magnitude. I suspect it's the same for most people in economy - the flight is costing them more of their disposable income to be there than most people in business and yet back there things like this seem to be handled with decorum and decency. Some of the arrogance and attacking tone in this thread reminds me of why I kept in touch with so few people from the private school I attended. This kind of thing was daily life there and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more egregious and silly comments were from one of them. It's like a blast from the past.

The other issue for us as a family now is that economy and e+ just seem to be outrageously priced (particularly e+ which seems to have no purpose at all except for business travellers who aren't allowed to book Club). On one itinerary we looked at it was close to 3k for economy and 'just' 4.4k for Club World booked in advance for the three of us. When you factor in the avios worth about 450-550 quid into the family account, the tier points and the hugely better service it really is too close to justify the economy. Having not flown economy for a while I fully expected to book the three of us into economy and be quite fine about it but as the prices stand you can probably expect to see more babies in premium cabins . I realise this isn't the case across all itins though it's just a particularly weird open jaw I was booking but even still... economy costs too much for what it is by far these days it seems and I don't blame any families at all who choose to upgrade their experience.
thecoogan likes this.
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
What a lovely dad you must be!

Re: Ear pain - I am certain that this is due to tonsils. I used to suffer dreadfully as a little one but I am of the generation when removing them was practically a Rite of Passage. I never suffered since, and am furthermore convinced that part of the problem with resistance to antibiotics is that they are given so freely and ear infection is one of the causes.
Babies ears are more susceptible to pain from pressure changes when climbing or descending than adults due to the narrowness of their Eustachian tubes, they're also unable to equalise them intentionally like adults
PUCCI GALORE and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Given the plethora of apps and information available on-line these days I feel British Airways are missing out on a potentially market-leading, ground-breaking service for their passengers.

Let’s call it - ‘Who’s flying in my cabin?’ (initially to be trialled in F). At the time of booking, passengers would be required to, anonymously, complete a passenger profile form - indicating age, sex, nationality, propensity to swear, fart, snore, degree of personal hygiene, etc. This information would be available for other passengers flying on the same flight and cabin to access pre-flight. If you don’t like the look of someone you would be permitted to change your flight free-of-charge to another flight up until, say, T -24.

The almost guaranteed ability to avoid a screaming baby, or a profanity-laden adult, on your flight has got to be an attractive feature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.