Swearing passenger ruined first F

Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Free Bose headphones in F. There - I fixed it...... ;-)
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What a lovely dad you must be!

Re: Ear pain - I am certain that this is due to tonsils. I used to suffer dreadfully as a little one but I am of the generation when removing them was practically a Rite of Passage. I never suffered since, and am furthermore convinced that part of the problem with resistance to antibiotics is that they are given so freely and ear infection is one of the causes.
I always assumed it was merely that different peoples' ears equalise at different rates and different levels of efficiency.

We find that having a dummy, and something to eat and drink during takeoff and landing have been very helpful and our little dude rarely if ever cries in the climb or descent. Indeed I remember one flight where he was already conked out on my shoulder as we were on the takeoff roll and stayed there for another hour and a half all the way through food service etc.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Shure 535 earphones
Completely OT, but if anyone finds a small black oval 'Shure' pouch with a pair of these in them could they please let me know. Still angry for leaving them on the centre table a few weeks back, and I refuse to create a second expensive addiction to complement the cycle of lost Maui Jim sunnies...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:14 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Pascoe
I always assumed it was merely that different peoples' ears equalise at different rates and different levels of efficiency.

We find that having a dummy, and something to eat and drink during takeoff and landing have been very helpful and our little dude rarely if ever cries in the climb or descent. Indeed I remember one flight where he was already conked out on my shoulder as we were on the takeoff roll and stayed there for another hour and a half all the way through food service etc.
You are right of course - but I do think that tonsils have a bearing on how that equalisation happens.

Working for BA brought me into contact with loads of Dummies ( - at least yours is not on the cocktails yet - or am I being presumptuous?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Completely OT, but if anyone finds a small black oval 'Shure' pouch with a pair of these in them could they please let me know. Still angry for leaving them on the centre table a few weeks back, and I refuse to create a second expensive addiction to complement the cycle of lost Maui Jim sunnies...
The Heathrow lost property database is searchable, if they ended up there. But after a few near misses I decided small black containers = bad, big pink containers = good. Ditto phone cases.
flygirl68, wrp96 and TheJayHatch like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
My wife was sat on the UD on the way to Vegas and, being too polite to tell him to eff off, sat listening to an older chap's life story as he got drunker and drunker and started sobbing.
Did he look a bit like George Clooney left out on the rain? I'll give him a hairbrushing he won't forget when I him back home!

My apologies to your wife on behalf of my apology for a husband and his Rugby mates.

Wozza2404, Down the back and RG1X like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Adstring
As someone who also travels with an 18 month old, I would remind him that he's on public transport and that if he needs to be certain of complete silence, he should have his people procure a private jet.

Don't have the resources?...Then quit moaning and be grateful you are not down the back!

I love to play devils advocate... so here I go... "public tansport" .... love how people throw that term around in this thread to justify the baby crying but not the guy cursing...... so let me throw this right back at you.... if the parents didn't want to hear cussing /etc.. then shouldn't they be the one's to procure the "private jet"? So if the parents can't handle people getting upset with them and cussing about the kid crying for 1.5hrs.... they should quit their moaning..... an eye for an eye.... crying baby... bad acting adult..... equals itself out...
zanderblue likes this.

Last edited by jep8821; Nov 1, 2018 at 6:27 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
There are some strange comments on here, passive aggressive no empathy quite frightening really. OP you have my sympathy, my kids are long past that stage but it can be stressful travelling with very young children.

Would I want to sit next to a baby/toddler in any cabin ?No.

Would I try and be sympathetic and helpful if the parent was struggling ,if I could ? Yes.

Failing that I'd put on my headphones and turn up the volume.
flygirl68 and muji like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bhbloke
It's always a tricky thing to have to deal with, although sounds like this guy took the nuclear option.

It basically depends on the parent, and what they think is acceptable (or even possible) when dealing with their child.

Sat in 1F back from HEL on Sunday, and the young child behind me (not good with ages, I'm guessing 3 or 4?) was playing around with the tray table before take off and her legs were the perfect length to kick the back of my chair constantly. I let it go for 5 or 10 mins (we had a delay before start-up. ATC restriction) but after a while I turned around and asked the mother if she could ask her child to stop it. I made sure I said it quietly, and kind of covered my mouth so the child couldn't see what I was saying.

Luckily the mother immediately told her to stop, and explained why she shouldn't do it, and apart from the odd fidget the flight passed peacefully.

However, it could have all ended rather differently depending upon the mother's response. And as the 'victim' of the piece, I could quickly have turned into the villain.
This is exactly how to deal with such a situation.

I do get irritated by (i) screaming babies (frankly who doesn't?) and (ii) kids kicking the back of my seat. In the situation described in the quoted text above, I would also be irritated at the parent not taking what I would consider to be reasonable pro-active steps to manage the child and pre-empt the other person needing to "have a word".

That all being said, it is never acceptable to swear at or audibly about a child, and to the extent that some posters on this thread seem to condone that, it is a little disappointing. Unfortunately the OP has not specified exactly what was said, so it's hard to gauge. But a hostile or aggressive act towards another passenger (let alone a child) is not acceptable. Swearing at someone (as opposed to merely throwing in an expletive into a conversation, which admittedly many of us (myself included) do from time to time) is an unacceptable act of aggression, and I would expect Cabin Crew generally to warn passengers about their behaviour and persistently rude and aggressive pax to be off loaded. Yes context is important, but swearing AT someone (i..e "you f***ing" this or a loud reference to "that f***ing c***") is totally unacceptable.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Just to be clear. He only made sounds for about 1.5 hours of the entire 14 hour flight. It wasn’t a continuous 1.5 hours of crying. He cried for a total of around 15-20 minutes throughout the flight and the longest one was probably 3 minutes. At that point I took him off to the toilets to make funny faces in the mirror and then stayed for 20 minutes until lights were switched on for breakfast with the cabin crew.

I already was stressed about him disturbing people people on the flight. We jump up at the slightest of sounds to calm him. What I don’t find acceptable on a plane or anywhere is someone swearing about my baby. I don’t think that is unreasonable what so ever.
flygirl68 and Yetak like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Treat others how you would like to be treated.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by jep8821
I love to play devils advocate... so here I go... "public tansport" .... love how people throw that term around in this thread to justify the baby crying but not the guy cursing...... so let me throw this right back at you.... if the parents didn't want to hear cussing /etc.. then shouldn't they be the one's to procure the "private jet"? So if the parents can't handle people getting upset with them and cussing about the kid crying for 1.5hrs.... they should quite their moaning..... an eye for an eye.... crying baby... bad acting adult..... equals itself out...
I used to cry when I was a baby and I had no regard to where, when or the company I was in. I couldn't give a hoot who I upset and was oblivious to cursing and swearing. I'm sure my siblings also cried when they were babies (one still does, but that's an issue for another board) and my daughters absolutely did (one cried for 2 years almost non-stop and almost became an only child). Actually, having considered this issue further, I'm pretty sure at least most babies cry and even do so in public spaces... including (shock/horror) aircraft !!!
So, any childless King Herod's out there, chill, let nature take it's course and have another glass of fizz while you watch a movie.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
He said something along the lines of “Oh for f**kesake. B**locks. F**ksake. F**king unbelievable. F**king outrage (inaudible) baby.”

I didn’t write his words down on paper.

Last edited by thecoogan; Nov 1, 2018 at 9:15 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhbloke
It's always a tricky thing to have to deal with, although sounds like this guy took the nuclear option.

It basically depends on the parent, and what they think is acceptable (or even possible) when dealing with their child.

Sat in 1F back from HEL on Sunday, and the young child behind me (not good with ages, I'm guessing 3 or 4?) was playing around with the tray table before take off and her legs were the perfect length to kick the back of my chair constantly. I let it go for 5 or 10 mins (we had a delay before start-up. ATC restriction) but after a while I turned around and asked the mother if she could ask her child to stop it. I made sure I said it quietly, and kind of covered my mouth so the child couldn't see what I was saying.

Luckily the mother immediately told her to stop, and explained why she shouldn't do it, and apart from the odd fidget the flight passed peacefully.

However, it could have all ended rather differently depending upon the mother's response. And as the 'victim' of the piece, I could quickly have turned into the villain.
The problem here is that the parent should have stopped the kid from kicking your seat when it first started. It should have never been necessary for you to request that the child stop kicking your seat.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Why is it that SOME people think the F cabin = private jet?!? All you are paying for is extra space to get from A to B and a tiny bit more service.

if you want to have complete privacy and only hear noise that you make, have fun on a private jet, where you can expect silence but snore and fart with abandon.

This was posted by someone with no children.

There you go.
flygirl68 and RG1X like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.