Swearing passenger ruined first F

Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I've taken my kids on plenty of flights in J/F, from the ages of 3 months. I've been in J and F cabins on my own when other people have their children in the cabin.

Sometimes babies cry. Sometimes a 3yr old is simply so excited about going on holiday they just can't spend another second in their seat after the end of the second film. These things happen, and a bit of 'live and let live' goes a long way.

Now, if a child is being ignored by parents, or running wild, then I'm perfectly ok with asking parents to sort it out.

But when it's just kids being kids, then it boils down to this... YOU chose to book with an airline that chose to allow children to fly in premium cabins. As such, your opinion on whether they should be there or not is worth the square root of FA.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I realize this is a message board, but what is your point?

The fowl mouth isn't gonna read this post and magically shape up. And if anyone reading this post is a volatile person, they aren't going to suddenly remember back to this post if they get heated in the future on a plane and be like, "damn, I better simmer down, I might get talked about anonymously on FlyerTalk by someone I upset!".

Life involves knee scrapes.
Interesting - I am similarly minded, indeed I really do not see what this has to do with flying on British Airways. This can happen anywhere.

My sister married a man who became a millionaire. I mention that simply because she has flown F for years. Her little boys would cry, and assuming that it was not at take off or landing, she would vanish into the lav with them so that they disturbed as few people as possible. Indeed, she even went in there wit a blanket and pillow and, on occasion drinks. My Brother-in-Law would do likewise to let her sleep. We were of a generation where we were raised to respect the the well-being and requirements of others came first. It was called being polite. It wasn't all about "ME" and "I", it was about "Us". Indeed, when they were small, she would have no more thought of sitting in a different cabin to her children then throwing them out at 30,000 ft.

Personally, I understand that babies can cry for all sorts of reasons. Noise, pain, hunger, thirst, fatigue and nastiest of all teething can all play a a part. What I do not understand is why it took 1.5 hours to actually take the child out of the cabin, or the first few minutes if they were crying.

As to the individual who swore - whilst nowadays people are becoming routinely foul mouthed, it is the exception rather than the rule on aircraft. Whilst I do not condone it, I wonder if this was someone who wanted to sleep, who had paid for a cabin where sleep is the norm and was exasperated beyond endurance. I suspect that somewhere in this story the truth lies, but I would give a lot to know their side of the story. What I also cannot understand is if you were so affronted by his language, and the crew were reluctant to intervene - why did you neither get the CSD/CSM or go and talk to him yourself. Telling us how shocking it was does not help resolve an issue. Had that been my child, I certainly would have done so, but then I am not afraid of conflict as I have dealt with it all my working life.

I can tell from here that there are those who consider that they are the centre of their Universe, but as someone said here the complete indifference of some parents to the nuisance of their offpring beggars belief. When two or more set of self-entitlement collide and when you have Mr or Mrs Most Important on Planet Me, and the Parents of the Eighth Wonder of the World on collision course - particularly here. In eighteen years I have never read one parent on here There never will be agreement so apart from airing problems nothing is achieved. It is a sad truth, it is a sorry truth but it is a truth that most people in the western world cringe when they see babies and infants boarding in their cabin or vicinity. I think that it is a space issue C-W-S. People is premium cbains resent its intrusion by anything especially noise. People down the back have precious little so it is a bit less of an issue. However a screaming baby in WT is the stuff of which nightmares are made.

Worcester - I liked what you said very much. A little tolerance goes a long way.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Are you trolling or what? It is you who ruined F experience for other passengers. Unbelievable that airlines even allowed to keep a screaming child in F cabin.
So what do you propose that they do with them? Stick them in the hold?
eugegall likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Dave_C
The sense of entitlement displayed by some parents here is breathtaking. Of course it's fine for my little one to cry for over 90 minutes of a flight and disturb everyone else, but when someone might be annoyed by it, it's unacceptable.
The OP said the baby cried for 15-20 minutes; the rest of the 1.5hrs was babbling and laughter - unlikely to have been more disruptive that adults chatting.

The problem with your general sentiment is that it depends where the boundaries of acceptable/unacceptable sit. If I go for a walk in the park, my peace might be disturbed by cars. I might be disgruntled about that, but I would say driving is "fine"; blaring music out not so. On the flip side, asking them to turn it down would be acceptable but throwing rocks at them?

I'm sure we can agree care-free parenting of a constantly crying child is unacceptable, but a baby crying for 15-20 minutes? And depending on the catalyst, a quiet word from the disgruntled passenger or a request to the crew is fine, but aggressive swearing?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Gig103
I think hearing some vulgarity on public transport is no worse than hearing a crying baby on public transport. You give some, you take some; if swearing 'ruined' your first class experience, he's probably somewhere talking about an infant 'ruining' his first class experience.
Agreed, it's a public plane. Kids are going to be noisy. Adults will swear. It takes a certain level of chutzpah to expect everyone to accommodate you while remaining oblivious to your own party's affect on others.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and Gig103 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
So what do you propose that they do with them? Stick them in the hold?
Soundproof box.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
But don't try and stick every other Business & First Class bound baby down back as well? Why should I suffer twice as many babies, twice as much noise just because you can afford premium classes and I can't?! We have enough stresses down back with no legroom, seats folding back on us, less sleep, poor food, don't try and foist a bunch of additional children on us.

You still get your flat beds, your champagne, edible food, so just take your noise cancelling headphones and suck it up like the rest of us.
There aren't that many J/F babies

And btw, I was not suggesting to dump the kids in Y and fly with your spouse in J (as I have seen doing). I was suggesting to travel in Y+ as a family and enjoy the time together. I never bring my QC35 when I travel with my family nor I book J flights. I'll wait to be old and sick to travel in J and leave my children in Y (or perhaps by then they will be in F and I will be the one piling up avios for a J upgrade, who knows!)
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Soundproof box.
I could propose that for some of the supposedly grown-up passengers. God help us the day that they can make calls from an aircraft!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
* Predictable evolution of thread *

Cant be long before the lock. Just a thought, why not have a single mega-thread about babies making noise?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I could propose that for some of the supposedly grown-up passengers. God help us the day that they can make calls from an aircraft!
The drunk guy who sang very, very, VERY badly on one of my flights to the extent that I thought he was crying needs to go in one of those too.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:30 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
It makes me laugh, that on the front page of the BA Forum today, is a thread about a passenger crying, and a passenger with bad body odour. Which is of greater upset I wonder.

Fly private, and there may not be as many issues; public transport means you encounter all sorts of people.

However, as someone who has spent far too much of his relatively young life on a metal tube, I would say that there are far more issues about adults on the BA Forum, than babies - either they're:

Using their phones in the lounge
Pinching stuff from the lounge
Drinking too much on the plane
Being loud on the plane
Snoring loudly on the plane
Displaying poor hygiene on the plane
Using their phones on speakerphone on the plane
etc etc etc

I have flown with my little one a few times, she's even had a bespoke omelette made for her in the CCR, and I do my upmost to keep her occupied and happy. It's hard work, it really is.

However, on a recent flight she screamed for 10mins on landing. I was embarrassed, frustrated, and yet I was desperately trying to get her to stop. However, nothing worked.

At the end of the flight, the passenger behind me approached and said "Well done. We could see you were trying your best, but sometimes there's nothing you can do. I'm guessing it was her ears?".

Communication goes a long way, and it's worth remembering that there are few harsher critics of the actions of a parent, than themselves.

M
muji, savingfor1st and m3red like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The drunk guy who sang very, very, VERY badly on one of my flights to the extent that I thought he was crying needs to go in one of those too.
Oh you are taking me back. We had a Russian woman once who made Baby Jane Hudson look attractive. A gargoyle in drag was how one crew member put it. She actually sang the song from Baby Jane in Russian with the sort of grimace perfected by Gloria Hudson in Sunset Boulevard. Some idiot actually clapped her and fearing an encore, put a stop to it.

I'd settle for a screaming baby any day.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It makes me laugh, that on the front page of the BA Forum today, is a thread about a passenger crying, and a passenger with bad body odour. Which is of greater upset I wonder.

Fly private, and there may not be as many issues; public transport means you encounter all sorts of people.

However, as someone who has spent far too much of his relatively young life on a metal tube, I would say that there are far more issues about adults on the BA Forum, than babies - either they're:

Using their phones in the lounge
Pinching stuff from the lounge
Drinking too much on the plane
Being loud on the plane
Snoring loudly on the plane
Displaying poor hygiene on the plane
Using their phones on speakerphone on the plane
etc etc etc

I have flown with my little one a few times, she's even had a bespoke omelette made for her in the CCR, and I do my upmost to keep her occupied and happy.

However, on a recent flight she screamed for 10mins on landing , and do you know what happened? A passenger told me "Well done. We could see you were trying your best, but sometimes there's nothing you can do. I'm guessing it was her ears?".

Communication goes a long way, and it's worth remembering that there are few harsher critics of the actions of a parent, than themselves.

M
What a lovely dad you must be!

Re: Ear pain - I am certain that this is due to tonsils. I used to suffer dreadfully as a little one but I am of the generation when removing them was practically a Rite of Passage. I never suffered since, and am furthermore convinced that part of the problem with resistance to antibiotics is that they are given so freely and ear infection is one of the causes.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Imagine if it was an adult crying? Now that would be much worse!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Mordac
Imagine if it was an adult crying? Now that would be much worse!
My wife was sat on the UD on the way to Vegas and, being too polite to tell him to eff off, sat listening to an older chap's life story as he got drunker and drunker and started sobbing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.