Swearing passenger ruined first F

Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simons1

By all accounts the kid was making noise for 1.5 hours...
OP said the baby made noise for an hour and a half during the whole 14 hour flight. I didn't take that to mean it was all at once.
But enough. I hope the return trip is more pleasant.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
BA sold a child/infant ticket.
BA sold an adult ticket.
if the kid threatened his safety he should contact the crew and crew should take action.
if the adult threatened anyone else's safety he should be notified to the crew and crew should take action.

if he was "just merely rude" then it shows his class.
if parents "simply allowed" kid to disturb the whole cabin without doing anything within the cabin, then it shows their class.
if the kid doesnt shut up... in my household it means someone will be grounded next time round.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:40 pm

Crying babies are annoying on flights full stop but so are loud drunk people.
People choose to drink, babies don't choose to cry.

My view is that as long as parents are engaging with their baby, I'm ok with it.
What I can't stand is when parents put on their noise cancellation headphones and it ends up being the cabin crew who have to look after the children.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
As someone who also travels with an 18 month old, I would remind him that he's on public transport and that if he needs to be certain of complete silence, he should have his people procure a private jet.

Don't have the resources?...Then quit moaning and be grateful you are not down the back!
Dambus likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What was the present the other passenger was so annoyed about?
Yoshi212 and patsharp like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I think hearing some vulgarity on public transport is no worse than hearing a crying baby on public transport. You give some, you take some; if swearing 'ruined' your first class experience, he's probably somewhere talking about an infant 'ruining' his first class experience.
SK, Grog, Lehava and 11 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Few things pull the almighty strings of FTers more than the issue of crying babies in the First cabin. Occasionally the Club World Cabin. Somehow this issue doesn't arise in WTP or WT cabins. I am not sure why. The swearing aspect distinguishes this thread from the many other threads in this sphere, but I would be surprised if we don't drift into the usual routines here of "it's public transport" versus "parents don't sort out their kids". For me, my Shure 535 earphones takes 35 of the 80 dB away, and playing some music can deal with the other 45 - though I guess that Zen like approach is another trope.

What I would say though is that while the poor mite may well have had 90 minutes of upset, to a passenger annoyed by the crying, unable to sleep, unable to concentrate (and that's why babies cry), it may have felt a lot, lot longer. I suspect their version would be - incorrectly - that the baby cried all flight long. Not that it justifies the swearing, but the cabin crew were probably correct that the best way to diffuse the situation is to ignore it. I doubt that a confrontation would have helped, but letting off steam in the way the man did may have helped him. Alternatively he could have let off steam in a Flyertalk thread.....

One other feature which isn't much mentioned is distance. A baby crying can be 120 dB, and that's painful. At one metre that will be 100 dB, and at 4 metres about 90 dB. Decibels work on a logarithmic scale, since our ears do too. So that's why it is worse in aircraft than anywhere else due to the fact we're packed in like sardines, and only marginally less so in First. I once travelled with a very young mother, perhaps still a teenager, but as soon her baby started to cry she was off to the galley with the baby, where the cabin crew also managed to distract away some of the upset. I think the whole CW cabin appreciated her efforts, even though it wasn't a perfect solution. Adding a few more metres to the distance between the baby and other passengers makes a big difference to the situation.
Markie, SK, LTN Phobia and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I sat next to a woman and a small infant who was rather fractious and started howling just after take off. I ended up playing peek-a-boo with the baby who quickly calmed down had a feed and promptly fell asleep for most of the flight.

If you want to have less crying babies, stressing out the parent(s) is hardly the way to go about it as children pick up on their parent's stress.

A little human kindness and empathy goes a long way.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Swearing is always unnecessary in any environment.

But we dont know the other persons side of the story, they might be anxious of what they are flying into.

I am not even sure the too situations are related.

We dont know what words are used either.
Markie likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by origin
Swearing is always unnecessary in any environment.
Have you never stubbed your toe?
ajamieson, Grog, SFO777 and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Those who get offended by swearing or “foul mouths” must live a very sheltered existence. In most walks of life (outside of missionary tea circles) it is rather commonplace. And fortunately the blessing of infant amnesia will mean your son won’t be too traumatised by the nasty potty mouth man.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
If you accept the ‘public transport’ argument put forward by some here you could argue that an adult swearing and a baby crying are no different - they are both everyday occurrences, and each party (including, in this case, the parents of the baby) should put up with the behaviour of the other.

Some public transport makes efforts in this regard and allocates specific quiet zones (my wife and I experienced this to good effect on Trenitalia Business Class last week - in dedicated railway carriages, no phones, no music, no loud conversations, no crying babies; these seats can be booked in advance for a small premium on-line). Having said that the ability to introduce quiet zones on aircraft may be limited in comparison.

Having read this thread I find myself supporting LTNPhobia’s posts.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Having read this thread I find myself supporting LTNPhobia’s posts.
+1
Pelu likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by rickg523
OP said the baby made noise for an hour and a half during the whole 14 hour flight. I didn't take that to mean it was all at once.
But enough. I hope the return trip is more pleasant.
Correct. My little one actually slept the first 2 hours of the flight and the guy probably even wasn’t aware he was on a flight with a baby. Just to be clear he probably only cried 15-20 minutes of that 1.5 hours during the whole flight. The rest was filled up with babbling or the occasional laughing.

Last edited by thecoogan; Nov 1, 2018 at 1:43 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Those who get offended by swearing or “foul mouths” must live a very sheltered existence. In most walks of life (outside of missionary tea circles) it is rather commonplace. And fortunately the blessing of infant amnesia will mean your son won’t be too traumatised by the nasty potty mouth man.
I don’t have an issue with swearing. I have an issue with him swearing about my baby being on board. Not sure how you think this is the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.