FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Apple Avios eStore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1938259-apple-avios-estore.html)

Speedbird676 Oct 31, 2018 8:32 am

Apple Avios eStore

The Avios.com eStore used to offer 4 avios per £1 spent on Apple purchases, sometimes increasing to 8 per £1 during double points promotions.

The normal rate in the BAEC eStore seems to be 3 avios per £1. Has anybody ever seen a rate greater than that?

Rexy52 Oct 31, 2018 8:43 am

I'm sure I got 4 per £ last Sunday, but checking today it now seems to be 3.

PS Just noticed that you can apparently get 6 per £ for Booking.com bookings, which is definitely useful to know.

Thinksamuel Oct 31, 2018 9:36 am

I got 526 Avios on a £65 purchase via Avios.com back in may. With a rate of only 3Avios/£1, you might want to buy using the education discount (in the UK it is via studentbeans), which plays out way better than Avios (even with double-ups). And if you are not a student, you probably have a family member/friend who is a student.

squawk Oct 31, 2018 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Thinksamuel (Post 30377177)
I got 526 Avios on a £65 purchase via Avios.com back in may. With a rate of only 3Avios/£1, you might want to buy using the education discount (in the UK it is via studentbeans), which plays out way better than Avios (even with double-ups). And if you are not a student, you probably have a family member/friend who is a student.

There is also a friends/family discount if you have friends who work for Apple, which I think is slightly more generous - I've been told about 15-20% - and applies to things which the student discount doesn't (iPhones, and formerly iPads, were not included in the Student Discount programme).

Soft Top Oct 31, 2018 11:40 am

I got 10 to 1 on Antler suitcases last month. £418 in cases giving 3483 point, (only on the net amount).

I was very pleased. Of course they have not posted yet but I have an email to say that is what I am getting, it is what I expected and I'll know in about 10 days!

ScienceTeacher Oct 31, 2018 11:47 am

Originally Posted by squawk (Post 30377191)
There is also a friends/family discount if you have friends who work for Apple, which I think is slightly more generous - I've been told about 15-20% - and applies to things which the student discount doesn't (iPhones, and formerly iPads, were not included in the Student Discount programme).

The first apple item in each category is 27% followed by 17% each item thereafter (in the category). iPads, iPhones being a separate category etc... . Accessories which are third party are 10% :) Also the first discount should be for the employee!

The_Editor Oct 31, 2018 12:20 pm

Yes, Apple went up to 12 per £1 on the BA e-store around Black Friday last year, so I'm waiting til then for a new laptop! There are exclusions though, usually the newest models.

tigertanaka Oct 31, 2018 1:04 pm

If you have a trip via LHR coming up, you can normally get about 15% off UK high street prices at the Dixons Travel store. Works for domestics and EU flights too.

See https://boutique.heathrow.com/en/brands/apple

memesweeper Oct 31, 2018 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by tigertanaka (Post 30378069)
If you have a trip via LHR coming up, you can normally get about 15% off UK high street prices at the Dixons Travel store. Works for domestics and EU flights too.

Really wish they had the iPhone XS Max 64GB in stock — I think I’ve been in four times (T5 and T3) since the launch and only the £LOL 256GB version is available.

I’ve no further flying booked for six weeks but the discount on a phone and a laptop combined could make a short cheap jaunt worthwhile!

oruvin Oct 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Really? Every time I check something at Dixons in LHR, the prices are at least 15% HIGHER than regular high street prices, unless you want to buy some rubbish nobody else is buying. I guess it's British "duty-free" way :)

origin Nov 1, 2018 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Soft Top (Post 30377717)
I got 10 to 1 on Antler suitcases last month. £418 in cases giving 3483 point, (only on the net amount).

I was very pleased. Of course they have not posted yet but I have an email to say that is what I am getting, it is what I expected and I'll know in about 10 days!

SInce the change started in around June, they have slowed down posting points to accounts.

Somewhere it will show pending points, which seem to take about 40 days now to post.

mike turnbull Nov 1, 2018 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Rexy52 (Post 30376928)
I'm sure I got 4 per £ last Sunday, but checking today it now seems to be 3.

PS Just noticed that you can apparently get 6 per £ for Booking.com bookings, which is definitely useful to know.

Good luck chasing up missing stays.....after three months.

Xmikain Nov 1, 2018 4:29 am

Originally Posted by oruvin (Post 30379051)
Really? Every time I check something at Dixons in LHR, the prices are at least 15% HIGHER than regular high street prices, unless you want to buy some rubbish nobody else is buying. I guess it's British "duty-free" way :)

I'm surprised EU flights count for this - I can't seem to find much info about it online though!

squawk Nov 1, 2018 4:36 am

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher (Post 30377753)
The first apple item in each category is 27% followed by 17% each item thereafter (in the category). iPads, iPhones being a separate category etc... . Accessories which are third party are 10% :) Also the first discount should be for the employee!

Ah, that makes sense, and aligns with what I've been told. I believe it also doesn't apply when there is low stock, i.e. right after the introduction of a new product.

Also, the student/academic discount doesn't apply at all to iPhones (and never used to apply to iPads).

tigertanaka Nov 1, 2018 4:39 am

Originally Posted by oruvin (Post 30379051)

I think prices for headphones, chargers and other accessories may not be such a good deal but if we look at a selection of bigger ticket Apple products (versus apple.com):

iPad mini 4 128gb wifi
apple.com: £399
Dixons Travel: £298 (-25%)

iPad 32gb wifi
apple.com: £319
Dixons Travel: £299 (-6%)

iPad pro 10.5" 64gb wifi
apple.com: £619
Dixons Travel: £559 (-10%)

Macbook Pro 13" 2.3GHz dual-core i5, 128gb
apple.com: £1,249
Dixons Travel: £1,099 (-12%)

iPhone 8 64gb
apple.com: £599
Dixons Travel: £579 (-3%)

iPhone Xs 256gb
apple.com: £1,149
Dixons Travel: £1,119 (-3%)

I bought an Apple Watch earlier in the year, saving 15% versus the high street price plus they had an offer on for quadruple Heathrow rewards points. The pre-ordering worked well too.