Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BOAC cabin crew: compulsory retirement after 10 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:20 am
Original Poster

This article in the Guardian (from the Observer archives: 11 January, 1970) is quite interesting in its discussion of how - by 1970 - the 'jet age' had already begin to lose its sheen (But the piece soon brings us down to earth, asking whether it’s a ‘marvellous, relaxed way to travel’ or a ‘tense, irritating experience that will place more and more demands on the human-fatigue factor’.)

But buried in the article is this nugget: The airlines’ view towards guide dogs was rather draconian – they had to be ‘muzzled and drugged’. Still, that’s nothing compared with the treatment of air hostesses. BOAC had ‘compulsory retirement after 10 years’...

Is that really true? When was that phased out?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
The airlines’ view towards guide dogs was rather draconian – they had to be ‘muzzled and drugged’. Still, that’s nothing compared with the treatment of air hostesses. .
I know there's an extra bit in the OP but I had a good Monday morning chuckle when I stopped reading after this bit.
gliderpilot and newyorklondon like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:55 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
This article in the Guardian (from the Observer archives: 11 January, 1970) is quite interesting in its discussion of how - by 1970 - the 'jet age' had already begin to lose its sheen (But the piece soon brings us down to earth, asking whether it’s a ‘marvellous, relaxed way to travel’ or a ‘tense, irritating experience that will place more and more demands on the human-fatigue factor’.)

But buried in the article is this nugget: The airlines’ view towards guide dogs was rather draconian – they had to be ‘muzzled and drugged’. Still, that’s nothing compared with the treatment of air hostesses. BOAC had ‘compulsory retirement after 10 years’...

Is that really true? When was that phased out?
I cannot answer your question, but it is only about 13 years since retirement at 55 was compulsory for pilots and cabin crew.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I cannot answer your question, but it is only about 13 years since retirement at 55 was compulsory for pilots and cabin crew.
You're 68? I can't believe it!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:07 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191
You're 68? I can't believe it!
Sop hunting for more mucci lol
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Sop hunting for more mucci lol
I'll strip him of his all Honours if there's any repetition of such insolence. Cheeky Toad!

It will be the first Dishonourable Discharge in FT history. I'll find him in some sleazy bar be it in St Helier, Golf Course, or better yet a First Class Lounge and give him a piece of my hairbrush. Furthermore I will tell Mrs T8191 exactly the nature of our relationship.

Hell hath no Fury like a Pucci Prematurely Aged!
T8191, squawk, EDIwanderer and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, dear, my compliment has clearly been misconstrued.

Have a good week, young Lady
althes likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, dear, my compliment has clearly been misconstrued.

Have a good week, young Lady
Forgiven Handsome!
T8191 and althes like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
My Mother was a BOAC "stewardess" and had to leave when she got married, as was the requirement at that time.
Newbtravelle and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Furthermore I will tell Mrs T8191 exactly the nature of our relationship.
What!? You hussy! For many years you consistently told CIHY, HIDDY, and myself that we were the only ones. Now I read that you were carrying on with T8191 behind our backs - that’s not one, not two, not three, but four toy boys. No wonder you had to retire at 55 - you must have been exhausted!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
My Mother was a BOAC "stewardess" and had to leave when she got married, as was the requirement at that time.
Wow. What was the reasoning behind that?!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Drawing a parallel with UK Military at the time, a mix of commitment to company rather than spouse, and the likelhood of pregnancy. It was the way of the world back then. Why invest in staff that could quit at a moment’s notice?
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

What!? You hussy! For many years you consistently told CIHY, HIDDY, and myself that we were the only ones. Now I read that you were carrying on with T8191 behind our backs - that’s not one, not two, not three, but four toy boys. No wonder you had to retire at 55 - you must have been exhausted!
Ah, Phil, you misinterpret the bones on this occasion. Madame also enjoys the company of the more mature and worldly-wise for reasons other than youthful groping. Think of Her instead as having a well-balanced set of golf clubs to play a round with.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

You must be delusional. HIDDY smokes like a chimney, he never bothered with the mirrors, CIHY is old enough to be your father never mind mine, and as for you you were never a spark let alone a flame. Uncle T and I are just Good Friends.After you became toast for someone else's marmalade, my comings and going were strictly my business and none of yours. I never meant to hurt you when I dumped you, but it's still on the list.

Still I will never be your equal until I can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think I am sexy. Just because I live by the adage that if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with does not mean that you're in with any chance. Anyhow the last time you saw sixty-anything was on a Boarding Pass.

(This feels like a real BA Forum thread!)
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:40 pm

This "rule" was quite normal back before the sixties. The woman would be a housewife while the man continued to work. Women dealt with the home and looking after children and her husband.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.