Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Napkin buttonhole

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:38 pm

I had two sorts of pegs. The plastic ones snap easily but the wooden ones are great. Alas, although I have a small pile of them I have yet to find a use for them!

Can’t remember which airlines gave them out.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:44 am
m44

Programs: USAir
BA loosing it

The fact I use the "napkin" buttonhole.
BA - pay attention - if you do not provide the buttonhole I will make one. Got it?
Totally pedestrian move - BA - really? Whom did you hire to make such a primitive decision against the utility of the buttonhole?

Many of those, who can afford the up-front tickets, are too underbred to know what the buttonhole is for; it does not permit you to be ruled by the unknowables.
Revise your revisions or else.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by m44
BA - pay attention - if you do not provide the buttonhole I will make one. Got it?
Totally pedestrian move - BA - really? Whom did you hire to make such a primitive decision against the utility of the buttonhole?

Many of those, who can afford the up-front tickets, are too underbred to know what the buttonhole is for; it does not permit you to be ruled by the unknowables.
If I was planning to write a post which described some people as being underbred, I would be very careful to spell losing properly - just in case people thought I was underbred too.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by m44

Or else what?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thank goodness UA still has buttonholes. I use mine every time. A secure napkin is essential for keeping the occasional drop of red wine or mystery sauce off your shirt.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:56 am

I bring small clothespin to clip the napkin to my shirt. Effective and cheap!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
I was taught how to eat properly.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I travel in a shirt however I would never use the napkin buttonhole as I much prefer to drape it over my lap instead....which I suspect most people do. Tucking a napkin into your shirt isn't very manly looking anyway.....haven't been forced to do that since I was a wean.
Not Manly? Thats a little buttonholeist Hiddy....I will have you know that Hercule Poirot always wore his napkin up front.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I got told off for not wearing my shirt under the blanked on my Iberia flight from New York on Sunday - first time ever in 12.5 years of JC and FC overnight flying. The stewardess even shook me to wake me up and tell me that an aeroplane is not a beach. I just went back to sleep without putting the shirt on and didn't get shaken again.
Perhaps it was the missing trousers rather than the shirt....
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I had two sorts of pegs. The plastic ones snap easily but the wooden ones are great. Alas, although I have a small pile of them I have yet to find a use for them!

Can’t remember which airlines gave them out.
Was it Turkish? We have a load of little wooden ones...
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by ironmouse
On my infrequent BA flights over the last 18 months or so I've noticed that BA no longer have a button hole in their napkins. I've always appreciated the facility to attach my napkin to my shirt button. It can't be a cost saving desicion so why stop? Flew Ethiopian last week and they still have the button hole in their napkins. What gives or is this really an irrelevant observation?
Not irrelevant; merely another mote of insignificant minutia in the world of travel. A perfect topic for discussion here.

Originally Posted by CKBA
Must have sold them onto AA - they have them (in PE too) - and they even have a label on saying 'Property of American Airlines'. Clearly a valuable item!
I've seen/used them on AA in domestic F and international J as recently as this summer, but do not recall the bespoke labeling.

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
I misread the title as Napkin Butthole, and was a little hesitant to open the thread!
I suspect that will do just as well; when I read your alternative title it evoked a laugh and an image of exactly the feature we are on about...

cheers!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:46 am

Funny, I never knew the buttonhole was for the user. I always thought the buttonhole had something to do with handling by the airline i.e. the napkins came from the laundry on a big ring, or when they were collected after use, they were threaded onto a big ring.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This is an oft cited issue on United where the buttonhole comes and goes:

Buttonholes are back!

Tacky new, small napkins in BF?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Southwest Zone C, Howard Johnson Platinum, Costco Business Member, Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
I misread the title as Napkin Butthole, and was a little hesitant to open the thread!
But yet you did!
Vinotraveller likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Napkins, much less button holes for attachment thereof, are relatively new inventions, arriving only after the advent of the short sleeve shirt which does not provide a convenient, accessible surface, the lower sleeves, to allow clean up after dining. Fortunately, my departed father who spent a portion of his life, 1942-45, in China, taught my sisters and I to dine with chopsticks and a "forward lean", sometimes noisy, but eliminating any need for napkins, and greatly extending the service life of neckties (and various items of feminine wearing apparel such as "jabots")..
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.