Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BOAC cabin crew: compulsory retirement after 10 years

BOAC cabin crew: compulsory retirement after 10 years

Reply

Old Oct 29, 18, 12:59 pm
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,302
Even in the late-80s/early-90s there were RAF “Branch Quotas” for female officers. NOT in ATC, I’m glad to say! Part of the contra-arguments were amortisation in training costs before the individual married and ‘departed the fix’ for various reasons.

The OH was, to an extent, somewhat marginalised until the late 70s, when ‘retirement on marriage’ was finally dispensed with. We married in 1980, and enjoyed relatively parallel and equal careers thereafter.
newyorklondon likes this.
T8191 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 18, 2:39 pm
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Even in the late-80s/early-90s there were RAF “Branch Quotas” for female officers. NOT in ATC, I’m glad to say! Part of the contra-arguments were amortisation in training costs before the individual married and ‘departed the fix’ for various reasons.

The OH was, to an extent, somewhat marginalised until the late 70s, when ‘retirement on marriage’ was finally dispensed with. We married in 1980, and enjoyed relatively parallel and equal careers thereafter.
Fascinating, thank you!
newyorklondon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 18, 4:26 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire borders, England [home].
Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Posts: 6,154
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
(This feels like a real BA Forum thread!)
+1
Phil the Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 18, 6:06 pm
  #19  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, BAEC Gold, QF Gold, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 9,593
Back then it was expected and indeed possible to have a comfortable life and raise a family on a single income. How things change.
sxc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 18, 6:36 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 290
Back then it was expected and indeed possible to have a comfortable life and raise a family on a single income. How things change
.

I sometimes wonder whether the influx of married women into the workforce was a cause of prices rising to match the spending power of a dual income.
RGS5526 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 3:00 am
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,302
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Back then it was expected and indeed possible to have a comfortable life and raise a family on a single income. How things change.
indeed, in the early 70s, it was deemed seriously inappropriate for an officer's wife to go out to work. I recall the shock & horror when one of our Unit wives did so. What made it even worse was that she was packing onions!

* I would note that we were relatively poorly paid back then.

Last edited by T8191; Oct 30, 18 at 3:31 am Reason: addendum
T8191 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 3:19 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Brexile in ADB
Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Posts: 5,862
Originally Posted by RGS5526 View Post
.

I sometimes wonder whether the influx of married women into the workforce was a cause of prices rising to match the spending power of a dual income.
Well prices are fixed by supply and demand, boost household incomes and demand increases.

But looking at the data, where we have been able to tap increased global competition (such as in airfares for example) real prices have dropped. Where the supply has been constrained (housing for example) real prices have rocketed.

Our current malaise is most likely a mix of self-inflected issues and increased expectations.
Worcester is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 5:02 am
  #23  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 14,940
Originally Posted by RGS5526 View Post
.

I sometimes wonder whether the influx of married women into the workforce was a cause of prices rising to match the spending power of a dual income.
Inflation is defined in Microeconomic terms as too much money chasing too few goods. However the more people spend the mulitplier would mean that it is good for the eonomy.

Interesting -as HI (and I might add Phil the Flyer) were always cadging money off me.

Talk about the Lender of Last Resort!
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:20 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire borders, England [home].
Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Posts: 6,154
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Interesting -as HI (and I might add Phil the Flyer) were always cadging money off me.
www.virilemaleescortsforladiesofacertainage.com appear not to have properly explained to you the nature of the financial transactions between you and me.
Phil the Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:24 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,302
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post


www.virilemaleescortsforladiesofacertainage.com appear not to have properly explained to you the nature of the financial transactions between you and me.
Ahem, young Sir! ISTR I have a Mucci for defending Madame’s honour. I feel inclined to call you out, Sir! Swords or Pistols? Can you find a Second willing to associate with you?
T8191 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:51 pm
  #26  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 14,940
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Ahem, young Sir! ISTR I have a Mucci for defending Madame’s honour. I feel inclined to call you out, Sir! Swords or Pistols? Can you find a Second willing to associate with you?
He'd be pushed to find anyone to consort with him, Uncle T

However, with my soft heart and head, I still have feelings for him, Somewhere.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 12:53 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 28,302
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
He'd be pushed to find anyone to consort with him, Uncle T

However, with my soft heart and head, I still have feelings for him, Somewhere.
The soles of your shoes, perchance?
T8191 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 1:00 pm
  #28  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 14,940
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
The soles of your shoes, perchance?
You know me so well, Uncle T!
T8191 likes this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 18, 2:10 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,910
Originally Posted by RGS5526 View Post
I sometimes wonder whether the influx of married women into the workforce was a cause of prices rising to match the spending power of a dual income.
Not sure, but they depressed male wages. Now what the overall effect was is a matter for the economists!
Greenpen is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread