Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'Happy Birthday from British Airways' (free avios)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles

It was my birthday this week (a big one) and I received and email from BA saying they are giving me a birthday present of 2018 avios.

From reading through the terms it does appear to be a gift with no strings attached, only requiring registering for the avios to accept them.

I thought it may be a scam at first (how often is anything genuinely 'free'?) but it looks legitimate and the link does go directly to the BA website.

Has anyone else received a similar email?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
This has been answered before...

2018 Birthday points
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I shall see what happens on Wednesday!

Last edited by T8191; Oct 29, 2018 at 2:36 am Reason: wrong day!!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Never got anything for my birthday, so it does seem like a targeted thing.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:45 pm

Nor me. If only I would have a joyous birthday. (VS always sends me a birthday email though.)
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:28 pm

Happy Birthday

My wife got 2018 Avios for her birthday on 3 October, my birthday was on 12 October and I got b****r all Avios. Should I start a Class Action?

Last edited by Spikey111; Oct 28, 2018 at 5:31 pm Reason: Spelling error
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: ba
i got nothing
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
My birthday was last week and I didn't get anything from BA not an email nor a bonus avios.

On the other side, LH sent me a HBD email and a nice gift ^
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Birthday is Nov' 12th and the flight away will tip me to Silver so will keep fingers crossed although it does seem to be a totally random thing looking in the other thread( plenty of Golds. GGL's who've said they weren't on the receiving end). I cant remember the better half mentioning getting anything on her birthday in Sept'. Against our current balance of nearly 200,000 it wont really stand out but hey anything is better than nothing.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Got nothing and was even flying with BA on my birthday....question is who is it targeted at?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by Upupintheair
Got nothing and was even flying with BA on my birthday....question is who is it targeted at?

Not even a bottle of LGPS to take off the plane?! Whilst obviously no requirement to do such things that just seems mean and harsh. That said I always make sure im where Im going a couple days before my b'day so I can enjoy it properly but if you're on business and it cant be escaped then you'd hope one of the crew would pick up on it / check-in would and add a note the CC could see ( im not sure if that's a thing or not tbh).

From what I saw in my prev' comment it seems to be quite random to say the least and status doesn't seem to form part of it or maybe it does but in the opposite way ie targeting infrequent Blue's to maybe encourage them to fly BA more which has some logic to it. OH has since returned from an overnight and conf' that she didn't get anything for her birthday and while the flight out got us Bronze we were technically Blue when we took the flight so even that throws a spanner in the works. Maybe they have a random number generator that just picks X # of pax each month.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
It’s mine tomorrow so I will be scanning the emails first thing! Most likely an email regarding our redemption flights booked during the data breach!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by FEMW
It’s mine tomorrow so I will be scanning the emails first thing! Most likely an email regarding our redemption flights booked during the data breach!

If you have an Amex card and didnt get another email today then you're probably safe. BA got given a grace period by them when the big one happened, this time around BA didn't move quick enough and Amex issued an email ahead of them and basically called them out. When I got the highly detailed "hey we've got your back" email from Amex the other week I knew I was about to be told by BA my details had been compromised more/ a 2nd time. They even missed their own deadline of 12:00 the day after Amex issued their reassurance email and I only got BA's email the Tuesday afterwards.

Fingers crossed for you getting some birthday miles though and HAPPY BIRTHDAY for 2moro.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Upupintheair
My wife and I both got it; both Bronze. I was about to delete it as junk (I thought it was another "Happy Birthday, take £10 off your next flight" thing), but read it instead and realized that there is such a thing as a free lunch after all. Then I asked my wife if she had one too and she did; it was in her bin. I suspect that there are a lot more out there who just deleted it.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by SteveF
.... I suspect that there are a lot more out there who just deleted it.
I print and file all BA communications. Useful for getting a laugh on those cold winter evenings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.