Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is paid seat selection for Club Europe really necessary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

I just booked my first Avios reward in Club Europe for a VIE-LHR flight next year. The taxes and fees for me and Mrs. Transportprof came to C$80, and then after booking, I discovered that it would cost C$40.30 per seat to select one in advance.

As a "Blue" tier member of the Executive Club, I would get to select seats for free 24 hours in advance during check-in.

I don't have a lot of need for a specific seat in Club Europe and only want to sit in the same row with Mrs. Transportprof. How (un)likely is that to occur if we do not pay the advance seat selection fee and wait until check-in to select our seats?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There's no point paying for seating in CE, in my opinion, unless very particular factors apply. Theoretical Seating (details of this in the Dashboard) will almost certainly keep you together, and BA tends to manipulate the curtain rows so that if there is any spare space it is in CE, squashing up ET passengers if necessary. At OLCI you will almost certainly have either an A+C or a D+F combination, and perhaps one or two other seating options available too.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I agree with everything C-W-S said, though I would add that you can keep watching every few days/weeks (depending on the length of time until your flight) and, if it starts looking like there may only be one pair left, you can consider paying.

I say "consider" paying because the cabin can be expanded by moving the curtain back and kicking passengers out of the front row of economy!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:47 pm

The only consideration I would have about this is if you want to be able to choose from the full food menu. By the time they get to the back rows, it’s likely there will only be one choice left. Otherwise I agree with comments made above.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joshm300
The only consideration I would have about this is if you want to be able to choose from the full food menu. By the time they get to the back rows, it’s likely there will only be one choice left. Otherwise I agree with comments made above.
Thanks for all of the prompt and helpful replies. The spirit of FT is going strong in this corner of the knowledge network, I can see!

Our flight will be one of those afternoon "tea time" meal windows. How much selection is there on such catering? I have a poultry intolerance, so as long as there is something other than Coronation Salad left to eat, I should be ok with scones and champers.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In my experience they have always automatically allocated a seat for my wife next to me. No idea if that makes her happy or not.
mikeyfly and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I perceive no value in booking a specific CE seat. The cabin is so small that everyone gets approximately the same treatment and the same speed off the aircraft. I would save that $40 and put it towards something nice to do, see or eat at your destination.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:14 pm

Based on a recent experience where my parents were in row 7 (last row) due to a last minute upgrade, the most likely item to be left is the vegetarian main course (the starter and dessert are all the same), which sounds like it could be well suited to your needs!
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would find it difficult t imagine that there is no one willing to switch in CE, if this is necessary, to keep a couple together. There are plenty of solo travellers.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joshm300
Based on a recent experience where my parents were in row 7 (last row) due to a last minute upgrade, the most likely item to be left is the vegetarian main course (the starter and dessert are all the same), which sounds like it could be well suited to your needs!
That settles it! I'm happy to take the veggie tea set and let somebody closer to the front of CE enjoy the Coronation Salad.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
It doesn’t always work out though.

On my last flight from NAP in September I was in 3F and boarded to find an elderly lady in my seat with her husband in 3D. It turned out she should have been in 2D in front of her husband.

I usually insist on keeping my seat as I like a window one so I pointed out that she was in my seat when she replied: “but we’re married and we booked our tickets ages ago - they were meant to put us together” .

With a bottleneck occurring and the FA coming over to see what was the matter, it was neither the time nor the place to explain BA seat booking to her! Given their ages I just said to the FA that it would be easier if I moved to 2D.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
I have a strange situation forthcoming where we have an F redemption to BOS, which gives free seat selection at time of booking. We currently have the entire F cabin to choose from (777 if anyone is interested). However, as we're connecting in CE from a domestic, I'm being asked to pay to choose seats in CE ! A call to YouFirst confirmed this is correct. As I'm about to spend five days and nights in Boston with my wife, I've decided I can take the risk of being apart for the whole hour of our domestic connection. TBH, I pretty much expect to be sat together anyway, but can deal with it if not.
As for food, we have the CCR and on-board dining to look forward to !
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CoweyB
I usually insist on keeping my seat as I like a window one so I pointed out that she was in my seat when she replied: “but we’re married and we booked our tickets ages ago - they were meant to put us together” .
I would usually move in such a situation if asked nicely, and especially if the new seat were further forward than the old one, but having my seat just taken by someone who felt entitled to it would probably make me more inclined to stand my ground and politely insist upon keeping my chosen seat.

However, I don't like window seats in ET and CE, as I find them quite claustrophobic, and would never agree to move from my aisle seat to a window.
george77300 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
As relative newbies to BA OH & Myself have often booked seats if we see cabins filling up( moved to BA May, Hit Bronze Sept) as we like ot know we are together for certain. As it happens neither of us are the types to not, very politely, asking if someone would consider swapping( & of course accepting if they didn't want to) but we have just preffered to know for certain as we have gotten used to BA/ the CE product. With Silver on the horizon we booked our next outbound seats but wont be for the return leg instead letting the outbound take us to Silver and then using the ability to do it free ( aware we have that on Bronze +7 days but it's a longer trip) as soon as the system updates.

The information that I've gleaned from FT has been invaluable but it's only the upcoming return flight where I've learnt that theoretical seating REALLY does exist and works. Our flight is LGW-RAK & back. When booked about 8 months ago we got a POUG OB only. Last week we were lucky enough to get another POUG for the return ( alternatives were either £453 or £753 for us both randomly switching between those two prices over the months). When booking the CE was 4 rows CE both ways. It's now 7 OB & 8 RTN and there is what I presume to be a party booking on the flight (( has a split line between 6 seats/ 3 rows which ive guessed means it's a group?)) and the CE cabin was doubled leaving a couple of free pairs A-C's / D-F's. No aircraft change so ET has definitely been shrunk to ensure CE has spare room for pairs.

It's been our reticence to not want to chance it previously but I have learnt there are several ppl on the BA section of FT who will say only what they know to be categoric fact and if they say it you can pretty much bank that info/ intel ( i'll save their blushes by not naming but several of them have commented above). For us it's been fine as seat bookings have gone on our BA Premier Plus Amex cards so we've made plenty back for the spend but if you'd rather save the money i'd say you're fine if told your route isn't a high capacity one and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Misco60
I would usually move in such a situation if asked nicely, and especially if the new seat were further forward than the old one, but having my seat just taken by someone who felt entitled to it would probably make me more inclined to stand my ground and politely insist upon keeping my chosen seat.

However, I don't like window seats in ET and CE, as I find them quite claustrophobic, and would never agree to move from my aisle seat to a window.
i might well move if indeed “asked” (operative word) nicely but I’d be very unlikely to when the person has taken it upon him/herself to take my seat without having asked first as was the case here. There is no excuse for rudeness.
george77300 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.