Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is paid seat selection for Club Europe really necessary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is paid seat selection for Club Europe really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:54 am
cjd

Originally Posted by transportprof
I just booked my first Avios reward in Club Europe for a VIE-LHR flight next year. The taxes and fees for me and Mrs. Transportprof came to C$80, and then after booking, I discovered that it would cost C$40.30 per seat to select one in advance.

As a "Blue" tier member of the Executive Club, I would get to select seats for free 24 hours in advance during check-in.

I don't have a lot of need for a specific seat in Club Europe and only want to sit in the same row with Mrs. Transportprof. How (un)likely is that to occur if we do not pay the advance seat selection fee and wait until check-in to select our seats?
Like you, we are also Blue members. Have had one award and two paid European CE flights this year and each time my wife and I have been pre-allocated seats together without paying any advance payment. Now have domestic CE flights booked for February from NCL to LHR and return in March and certainly would not pay advance seating charge. If not seated together, then we'll survive the one hour seperated!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Therorectical seating has put me across the aisle (C&D) from the other person travelling before in a small and quite full CE cabin - but again was fine.

I suspect any non-chicken option will always be the less popular on a given flight, but you can always politely ask the cabin crew as they do the hot towels and they may be prepared to definitely save you the meal that you can eat (or you could order the Vegetarian special meal if you want to be sure).
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Therorectical seating has put me across the aisle (C&D) from the other person travelling before in a small and quite full CE cabin - but again was fine.

I suspect any non-chicken option will always be the less popular on a given flight, but you can always politely ask the cabin crew as they do the hot towels and they may be prepared to definitely save you the meal that you can eat (or you could order the Vegetarian special meal if you want to be sure).
The veggie special meal is often vegan. Unlike the meat-free but not vegan meal that’s *usually* but not always offered in CE. I also don’t eat chicken and just ask if there’s a no chicken option at boarding/towels stage personally if I were the OP. Adding Asian Vegetarian slightly increases the chance of a non-terrible veggie meal.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:34 am

Never paid and never would (actually that also goes for long haul as well). CE cabins are generally so small even if Wife and I were separated for a couple of hours (which has never happened) it wouldn't bother us and I don't care if allocated a window or aisle. I'm just not bothered about row and whether its a window or aisle.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I just checked my Stockholm (ARN) to London (LHR) for 6/25/2019 and in CE for row 1 to 12 and all taken ... something is off ... why would a 48 people book CE that far in advance and all of them paid to reserve a seat? And as we are 3 in CE without allocation they will move CE even further back ......
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by blitzen
I just checked my Stockholm (ARN) to London (LHR) for 6/25/2019 and in CE for row 1 to 12 and all taken ... something is off ... why would a 48 people book CE that far in advance and all of them paid to reserve a seat? And as we are 3 in CE without allocation they will move CE even further back ......
More likely they simply have no idea what they are going to do and are not enabling anyone to make any choices (possible aircraft swap, timing changes, or just curtain moves) that they don't want anyone to get caught up in. You have at least six months before this should be a concern.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business

Never flown the route but that seems a VERY big CE cabin ( as its not currently on the TPR Hot List!) I would only surmise that that many already booked is going to be for a conference, a major festival that's gained international acclaim or something of the like. What plane are they using, im not sure the CE could be extended much more on an A319/2/1 ( others will know this better than I) and despite previous comments to the contrary I might suggest that would be a flight to either move or pay for seats if you want to sit with whoever you're travelling with and don't have any Silver / OW Sapphire.

Either that or it's a massive IT c***-up :')
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Never flown the route but that seems a VERY big CE cabin ( as its not currently on the TPR Hot List!) I would only surmise that that many already booked is going to be for a conference, a major festival that's gained international acclaim or something of the like. What plane are they using, im not sure the CE could be extended much more on an A319/2/1 ( others will know this better than I) and despite previous comments to the contrary I might suggest that would be a flight to either move or pay for seats if you want to sit with whoever you're travelling with and don't have any Silver / OW Sapphire.

Either that or it's a massive IT c***-up :')
It is shown as a A320 and I can't move to another flight (connecting to the EWR flight) and can't even pay (not that I want to) as every single seat is shown as unavailable.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Got 4 CE flights coming up, to MAN and BCN. In all likelihood we will be sat together, but even if were not we will survive. What is the point of paying to sit together to then block each other out with the noise cancelling headphones?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
It is shown as a A320 and I can't move to another flight (connecting to the EWR flight) and can't even pay (not that I want to) as every single seat is shown as unavailable.
You haven't mentioned the flight (BA has 5 flights that day ARN-LHR), but I'm guessing it's either BA771 or BA777. Both flights are showing CE availability zeroed out, and the seat maps do indeed show most of the seats as occupied. Not sure if BA has zeroed availability because of genuine sales, or maybe the possibility of schedule change.

Row 12 is blocked and Row 1 is open only to BA Gold / OWE at the moment on BA771, so there are still some seats available, but you can't see them yet. BA777 does have a few seats showing available in EF (apart from row 1 and 12 which are also blocked to you as above), so if you are that flight I'd expect you to be able to see them.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
You haven't mentioned the flight (BA has 5 flights that day ARN-LHR), but I'm guessing it's either BA771 or BA777. Both flights are showing CE availability zeroed out, and the seat maps do indeed show most of the seats as occupied. Not sure if BA has zeroed availability because of genuine sales, or maybe the possibility of schedule change.

Row 12 is blocked and Row 1 is open only to BA Gold / OWE at the moment on BA771, so there are still some seats available, but you can't see them yet. BA777 does have a few seats showing available in EF (apart from row 1 and 12 which are also blocked to you as above), so if you are that flight I'd expect you to be able to see them.
I'm on 771 but I find it weird that 40 people (1-12 beside row 1 and 12) would a) book this early and b)all pay to have a seat assignment. LHR to HAJ a couple of weeks earlier has 3 rows of CE and (beside the blocked row 1) not a signe seat is reserved
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I'm on 771 but I find it weird that 40 people (1-12 beside row 1 and 12) would a) book this early and b)all pay to have a seat assignment. LHR to HAJ a couple of weeks earlier has 3 rows of CE and (beside the blocked row 1) not a signe seat is reserved
It is unusual (not everyone has to pay for advance seat selection, but still unusual). It might just sort itself out if BA is doing something with the flights. This far out, I'd just check back in a few weeks and see if the situation has changed.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Before I had status I would often pay for seat selection. I’m a solo traveller with a strong preference for an aisle seat and value speed of service and certainty of meal choice.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

i might well move if indeed “asked” (operative word) nicely but I’d be very unlikely to when the person has taken it upon him/herself to take my seat without having asked first as was the case here. There is no excuse for rudeness.
Agreed, but I do think some of the FFs here forget how stressed seldom flyers can be, especially if confronted with something like not sitting together. Of course it doesn’t matter whether couples sit together when examined rationally, but someone nervous and in an unfamiliar situation can be panicked into what appears rude but is just stress.

I’ve remember flying from Luton with my brother who’d probably flown twice previously his entire life. After his 3rd attempt to walk around the metal detector, it seemed rude to walk through it, with security berating him, I had to step in and just make him take some deep breathes. I think once on the plane he couldm’t have found his seat he was so nervous and stressed.

Sure there are are a lot of chancers, but there’s also the odd lost soul about to have a melt down.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Maybe it is just my luck, but in the last couple of months, I've had 6 CE flight with my wife and on 4 of them we have been allocated seating separately, with no "availability" to change in the 24h period. On 3 of the flight I found that solo travelers were happy to swap if asked nicely. (The other was maybe the best flight - got to chose my own meal option and eat all my own food with out my wife "just having a taste". #HENPECKED ).
HIDDY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.