Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should I pre-order? Pescatarian travelling in First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue

Good evening everyone, I'm on what seems like a Sleeper Service (BA116 JFK-LHR), and I'm unable to choose a meal on this flight. I do have the option of selecting a variety of SPML, however none seem to include being pescatarian. Im a great lover of fish and seafood, and would love to try any offered on the flight. My concern is if I don't select one of the vegetarian options I'll be faced with a braised pigs cheek or something equally offensive.

Should I stake my vegetarian card now, or wait and hopefully be offered something' from the sea' on the flight?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
You can't pre-order (except SPML) on any flights departing from outstations. In this case you may want to consider eating in the JFK CCR before your flight, if you have time. The menu is usually posted by someone in the below thread (look in the Wiki for the link) and will contain a fish/seafood option.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...17-thread.html

For example, the October menu is here : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30272300-post95.html

If you have sight of that in advance, maybe it will help your decision on whether to order a special meal (which will be the same as CW) or take your chances. I never eat on JFK-LHR (apart from the day flight), but I'd imagine there would be a fish/seafood option in F, as well as a non-meat/fish choice, but of course couldn't guarantee it's something you'd want.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Oaxaca’s suggestion is the way to go. The ccr menu always has a fish dish. If you wait to eat onboard, however, there is no guarantee that there will be a fish dish in that direction and no guarantee there would’ve enough for everyone (prioritisation by status) so you may prefer to pre order vegetarian to be safe.
Cymro and flipper118 like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by flipper118
a braised pigs cheek or something equally offensive.
Prepared and cooked properly one of my absolute favourite dishes.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

You've got a flaming cheek - never mind a Pig's! For your information, a Pescatarian is not the same as a Piscean.
flipper118 and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

Criadillas!!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You can ask You First for a copy of the menu.
JustTheOne and flipper118 like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by BA6501
great idea. We have done this before and it tends to be both accurate and helpful.

Maybe get the JFK pre flight menu from the JFK Concorde Room too so you know all your options.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I feel like there's usually one mostly fish dish and one vegetarian dish on the First menu, so as long as you're not a fussy fishetarian you'll be OK. You could try to get dibs on these by getting to the crew when you board to ask for one of those. Note this may give you the cold salad option on some flights, so I do mean "not fussy". If the fish dish is something like scallops with bacon, you may be able to ask the crew to assemble it without pig. You can verify the choice (though not the quantity available on your flight) by getting the menu from You First before your flight.

It's clearly a personal choice, but in your situation I'd be more inclined to bet on the First menu having something for you and the quantities loaded being sufficient, rather than suffer a CW vegetarian meal which are just not great.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
How far in advance of your flight can you get the menu from youfirst
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
A month, give or take.
wtcmor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.