Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 20, 21, 4:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: T8191
Wiki Link
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 9, 21, 2:29 pm
  #931  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 7,409
After my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman did absolutely nothing, I advised both PGMBM and ShieldPay on Tuesday that I was putting them on notice that, as my payment had been confirmed as approved by both parties and that I have confirmation from ShieldPay that they have received the banking information that I have provided twice since August, if I did not receive my court-mandated settlement money by Dec. 23, I would start an action naming them both. Well today I received an email stating the same drivel as all of their previous correspondence: “Thank you for your email and please accept our apologies for the delay. Your payment has been approved by both PGMBM and Shieldpay and should reach your account in the very near future.”

This entire thing is a farce.
Finkface is offline  
Old Dec 9, 21, 5:21 pm
  #932  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London Stratford, E7
Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Posts: 3,111
Originally Posted by LimaWhiskey View Post
Im still waiting on payment. I made a complaint with the Ombudsman service, does the service have the ability to do anything substantial? And if not, are there other options?
Don't hold your breath. Took 18 months for a case handler to look at my issue and then 6 months To review coming up with what I thought was a despicably answer. You are free to take your own action if you dont agree with the ombudsmans findings.
KeaneJohn is offline  
Old Dec 20, 21, 10:32 am
  #933  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 613
I received the email from Shieldpay on 26th August, followed the link and provided my details on same day. Since then nothing, despite repeated calls and emails.
I opened a complaint with the financial ombudsman last Friday and this afternoon I received and email advising payment made today along with an apology and a thank you for my patience.
I don’t believe in coincidence, so I’m assuming someone from the ombudsman has rattled a cage.

Last edited by zanderblue; Dec 28, 21 at 1:06 am
zanderblue is offline  
Old Dec 21, 21, 3:16 pm
  #934  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 5,430
After sending about a dozen follow up emails, I finally got a reply with proof that they attempted to make a payment to my account last month, which I strangely never received.

It showed the payment was made to the wrong account number - they missed one of the digits. Despite having provided the same account statement to PGMBM and Shieldpay, multiple times. No wonder my bank had rejected it.

Such incompetence knows no bounds
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Dec 21, 21, 3:43 pm
  #935  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midwest USA
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, DL Plat, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Posts: 1,879
Originally Posted by zanderblue View Post
I received the email from Shieldpay on 26th August, followed the link and provided my details on same day. Since then nothing, despite repeated calls and emails.
I opened a complaint with the financial ombudsman last Friday and this afternoon I received and email advising payment made today along with an apology and a thank you for my patience.
I dont believe in consequences, so Im assuming someone from the ombudsman has rattled a cage.
I'm still waiting for payment also. can you kindly PM me the info to contact the financial ombudsmans to file a complaint? thanks.
nachosdelux is offline  
Old Dec 21, 21, 6:33 pm
  #936  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 11,053
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
After sending about a dozen follow up emails, I finally got a reply with proof that they attempted to make a payment to my account last month, which I strangely never received.

It showed the payment was made to the wrong account number - they missed one of the digits. Despite having provided the same account statement to PGMBM and Shieldpay, multiple times. No wonder my bank had rejected it.

Such incompetence knows no bounds
Top marks for persevering!
golfmad is offline  
Old Dec 27, 21, 11:15 pm
  #937  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: BAEC GOLD
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
After sending about a dozen follow up emails, I finally got a reply with proof that they attempted to make a payment to my account last month, which I strangely never received.

It showed the payment was made to the wrong account number - they missed one of the digits. Despite having provided the same account statement to PGMBM and Shieldpay, multiple times. No wonder my bank had rejected it.

Such incompetence knows no bounds
May i know where or who or what email i can write too. This is getting ridicolous
db07mufan is offline  
Old Dec 28, 21, 12:40 am
  #938  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LON
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,751
The Financial Ombudsman website details the process and forms to complete to make a complaint
https://www.financial-ombudsman.org....ow-to-complain
plunet is offline  
Old Dec 28, 21, 3:14 am
  #939  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 5,430
Originally Posted by db07mufan View Post
May i know where or who or what email i can write too. This is getting ridicolous
I replied to the person(s) who first wrote to me, and kept chasing, chasing, on weekly basis. Believe there are many paralegal drones in the office. All of them equally as bad when it comes to responding to clients in a timely manner.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Jan 5, 22, 4:53 am
  #940  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: BAEC GOLD
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
I replied to the person(s) who first wrote to me, and kept chasing, chasing, on weekly basis. Believe there are many paralegal drones in the office. All of them equally as bad when it comes to responding to clients in a timely manner.
Thanks! They just got back to me and said that they have transferred it to my account in November of which I have received nothing.

I know where this is going.......
db07mufan is offline  
Old Feb 9, 22, 5:08 am
  #941  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 5,430
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
After sending about a dozen follow up emails, I finally got a reply with proof that they attempted to make a payment to my account last month, which I strangely never received.

It showed the payment was made to the wrong account number - they missed one of the digits. Despite having provided the same account statement to PGMBM and Shieldpay, multiple times. No wonder my bank had rejected it.

Such incompetence knows no bounds
​​​​​​I've been chasing every 2-3 weeks for payment - the latest was an email that said my payment has been approved again and to expect it within 14 days. Of course the 14 days timeline came and went, but no payment was received.

Shockingly today I received an email that effectively said "You have either received your compensation payment, or this has been donated to charity as of a certain date" and therefore this "concludes your case, and we will now close your file".

Indeed PGMBM previously tried to pay to me, but either they or Shieldpay got my account details wrong, so payment was returned by my bank - now they claim to have paid or otherwise would donate my portion to charity! How ridiculous.

Has anyone had any luck raising a malpractice complaint against this firm, if so please share?

Ironically the end of today's email contained a horrifying statement that "... we hope you will consider using PGMBMs services in future." Just crazy.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Feb 9, 22, 5:41 am
  #942  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Europe
Programs: BAEC Silver; KLM Flying Blue Gold; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 238
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
​​​​​​I've been chasing every 2-3 weeks for payment - the latest was an email that said my payment has been approved again and to expect it within 14 days. Of course the 14 days timeline came and went, but no payment was received.

Shockingly today I received an email that effectively said "You have either received your compensation payment, or this has been donated to charity as of a certain date" and therefore this "concludes your case, and we will now close your file".

Indeed PGMBM previously tried to pay to me, but either they or Shieldpay got my account details wrong, so payment was returned by my bank - now they claim to have paid or otherwise would donate my portion to charity! How ridiculous.

Has anyone had any luck raising a malpractice complaint against this firm, if so please share?

Ironically the end of today's email contained a horrifying statement that "... we hope you will consider using PGMBMs services in future." Just crazy.
Shieldpay is umbelievable. I have been chasing several times and been requested to send statements etc. I never really had meaningful follow up from this company until when i left a review on trustedpilot. Not sure if that is a coincidence or not but after 24 hours of my review i received an email with apologies and reasonable follow up on my previous situation. Still too early to say as payment has not been received yet but i had a confirmstion email yesterday that everything is in order and i will be paid when they will send next batch.
Not holding my breath...
MP001 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 22, 2:20 pm
  #943  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 5,430
Anyone who've had less than acceptable experience with PGMBM, you may wish to send an official complaint to [email protected] with all supporting email correspondences. They're obliged to log it as part of their official complaints handling procedure, and it'll be investigated by a manager. Takes a couple of weeks, depending on how extensive the issues are. FWIW, ironically it was the most "professional" part of the ordeal of dealing with PGMBM these past years, and I've received additional compensation arising from their and Shieldpay's service lapses.
carrotjuice is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread