Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2021, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Exactly as I said it at #849.

Hmm. Who might you be, jjbean? You seemed might familiar on this considering this is your first post on FT?
I’m not quite sure what you are getting at. This is a forum I’ve read for a while and a thread I’ve been interested in. If I shared something that you did is it so bad? Everyone has to have a first post. This was mine.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Billynomatesin3D
I doubt he would be interested - BA defended a class action, settled to make it go away - all ancient history as far as a CEO is concerned and the money went exactly where he thought it would (to the lawyers).
It was mostly said tongue in cheek, but
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Billynomatesin3D
I doubt he would be interested - BA defended a class action, settled to make it go away - all ancient history as far as a CEO is concerned and the money went exactly where he thought it would (to the lawyers).
It was mostly tongue in cheek, but Andrew Fleming - their general counsel might show an interest. The settlement would have been agreed to in front of the court, and if PGMBM are holding onto any of that settlement, the court could intervene. It was BA’s money after all.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
If payments don’t arrive soon, perhaps each of us should consider filing a case against PGMBM using the Governments Money Claim Online (MCOL) service ? Even if it just lights a fire under PGMBM to act and get ShieldPay to do their job in a timely manner ?
MCOL won’t work for some since you have to be a UK resident to use the service. Unless I can use my folk’s address back home.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by kc1174
MCOL won’t work for some since you have to be a UK resident to use the service. Unless I can use my folk’s address back home.
You just need a UK address
Old Sep 24, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
You just need a UK address
and whilst MCOL isn’t a quick process, it is VERY easy to file and would ‘inundate’ PGMBM & ShieldPay with formal answer requests to EACH filing. They will not want to expend this extra time & cost, and will probably expedite payment to those filing an MCOL claim. Just my 2cents.

I'm now definitely tempted to do this, after receiving this reply from ShieldPay ... "We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the length of time it is taking to process your payment.

We are working closely with your law firm to disburse the Compensation Awards quickly and securely. Your law firm has been providing us with the claimants details on a phased basis.

Per the law firm and our regulatory requirements, we have undertaken a set of verification checks to ensure we are paying the correct person and protecting you from any fraudulently activity. Any money we have received is safeguarded with authorised banks and we do not use this money in any way for our own financial gain.

In case you have any queries or concerns in regards to your claim amount, timing of payment, etc please contact your lawfirm directly to resolve such concerns via [email protected].

Please also review our dedicated FAQ page for the British Airways settlement claim : https://resources.shieldpay.com/british-airways-faq ."

Too paraphrase .... ShieldPay have done nothing wrong, if there is any blame it is with PGMBM who are only providing details on a phased basis !

Of course, this is a decietful statement to make, as if anyone has received a request for information from ShieldPay, then PGMBM HAVE ALREADY provided ShieldPay with that claimants information !

Last edited by BritBoyInFL; Sep 24, 2021 at 8:24 am
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
At least you got a human and relevant response, instead of an automated "Please see our FAQ".

I full accept the 'due diligence' aspect imposed on ShieldPay. And, in their defence, how many claimants with a fiscal interest are they having to process? It's so long ago I've forgotten the scale of the event, and how many may be due Łxx ... I'm guessing possibly thousands?

Perhaps I'll get my Group 1 settlement by Christmas?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
"We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the length of time it is taking to process your payment.
We are working closely with your law firm to disburse the Compensation Awards quickly and securely. Your law firm has been providing us with the claimants details on a phased basis.
"
While I initially thought a human from the support team finally replied, I just realized I received the EXACT same message you quoted, word for word.
What a joke! Not sure how PGMBM decided to partner with ShieldPay and damage their reputation that way.
T8191 and kc1174 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 10:12 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Although I was part of the Data Breach, I decided for personal reasons not to join this action. I have read along and I have wondered how much would end up in the Lawyer's pockets. I know that my Amex details were attempted to be used fraudulently as they Amex security contacted me; although as soon as I had heard about the breach I changed the card totally. I have suffered no loss so decided that I had more important things to do with my life and I say that without prejudice for the reasons of others. I say this purely because I am truly shocked at the fact that it would seem that several people are still waiting to be paid.

I wish all of you well - and do hope that whatever you receive or have receive make the whole business worthwhile and that you can put the whole thing behind you. Good Luck
T8191, kc1174 and MP001 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Fromager
While I initially thought a human from the support team finally replied, I just realized I received the EXACT same message you quoted, word for word.
What a joke! Not sure how PGMBM decided to partner with ShieldPay and damage their reputation that way.
Same here - seemingly personal emails are now the same copy and paste.
What gets me about the whole “we’re processing as PGMBM provide us with your info” thing is - it was Shieldpay who sent us the email to provide them with our bank info etc. How did Shieldpay know our email addresses if PGMBM didn’t give them to Shieldpay? Seems the 7 days verification and asking for a bank statement weeks later and the “within 21 days” wasn’t to verify our bank info - it was to delay. Not sure why a payment service needs anything from PGMBM other than our names, our email addresses, and maybe our home address. I should hope a payment service isn’t waiting for and getting access to our whole case file including any and all documents shared with SPG/PGMBM.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by kc1174
Same here - seemingly personal emails are now the same copy and paste.
What gets me about the whole “we’re processing as PGMBM provide us with your info” thing is - it was Shieldpay who sent us the email to provide them with our bank info etc. How did Shieldpay know our email addresses if PGMBM didn’t give them to Shieldpay? Seems the 7 days verification and asking for a bank statement weeks later and the “within 21 days” wasn’t to verify our bank info - it was to delay. Not sure why a payment service needs anything from PGMBM other than our names, our email addresses, and maybe our home address. I should hope a payment service isn’t waiting for and getting access to our whole case file including any and all documents shared with SPG/PGMBM.
I don’t believe Shield Pay
happyintheair likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As an aside, not that it's any comfort, I have today (24 Sep) received by post my Lloyds (UK) bank statement as at 3 Sep. I assume it therefore takes Lloyds 3 weeks to print and post it.

Just saying.

Last edited by T8191; Sep 24, 2021 at 1:57 pm
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:53 pm

Now Shieldpay is pushing the blame back to PGMBM. Latest email received, after I asked to investigate why my payment was still pending and there was no reply since:

“We are working closely with your law firm to disburse the Compensation Awards quickly and securely. Your law firm has been providing us with the claimants details on a phased basis.

In case you have any queries or concerns in regards to your claim amount, timing of payment, etc please contact your lawfirm directly to resolve such concerns via [PGMBM email address].”

The ridiculousness continues.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I've finally received a response from PGMBM and they clarified that I've been paid by Shieldpay on the 22nd September. So in fact they know the going ons of payment!

The letter also included..
We would kindly ask that you please remember your ongoing obligations:
  • You must not disclose to anyone the amount of your settlement;
  • You must not seek to bring a further claim against BA arising out of the same Data event; and
  • You must not encourage or assist anyone else to make such a claim.
The third point is new. Guess some folk are directing (new) people who now want in on the payment to PGMBM..
Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by T8191
As an aside, not that it's any comfort, I have today (24 Sep) received by post my Lloyds (UK) bank statement as at 3 Sep. I assume it therefore takes Lloyds 3 weeks to print and post it.

Just saying.
Can't you get an online statement, eg screenshot of statement page or transactions? That's what I did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.