Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 20, 21, 4:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: T8191
Wiki Link
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 21, 21, 1:06 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kc1174 View Post
Yeah I just got the same email..
Provide Shieldpay with more information
This will help them write a more useful reply to you.
It'll also help them verify that you’ve had a genuine experience with their business”.
That info was also provided to PGMBM few weeks before te settlement was announced.
Tried to reach them as I would imagine they could ask Shieldpay to finally do their job. They selected ShieldPay after all. However, they are not very responsive.
They have some pretty interesting auto-reply:

"Thank you very much for your email. We have received this and we will do our best to review your email and return to you within the next working 10 days"

10 working days!
kc1174 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 21, 4:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: *A G, OW S.
FWIW, I had issues on Trustpilot after writing a negative review of another company and they demanded everything ShieldPay now are from some here. It's a standard email and all I did was edit my review copying in the rather menacing email I had received. No more was said and the review remained in situ.
Old Sep 21, 21, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Fromager View Post
That info was also provided to PGMBM few weeks before te settlement was announced.
Tried to reach them as I would imagine they could ask Shieldpay to finally do their job. They selected ShieldPay after all. However, they are not very responsive.

"Thank you very much for your email. We have received this and we will do our best to review your email and return to you within the next working 10 days"

10 working days!
They simply didn’t respond to me at all.
Old Sep 21, 21, 11:34 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by LimaWhiskey View Post
They simply didn’t respond to me at all.
Same. I have sent five emails to PGMBM over the past two months (not about ShieldPay). They have not replied to a single one.
imverge likes this.
Old Sep 22, 21, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Ok. I got an email to say that they've paid. But they paid into the first account which I told them not to, and they asked for the bank statements for the second account. So that meant they never needed account verification at all.,

Sigh. I'll figure it out myself on how to move the money.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Sep 22, 21 at 10:17 am
Old Sep 22, 21, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I’m half-wondering whether to invest in a small letter from my Advocate to ShieldPay and PGMBM. This scenario is ridiculous, with no constructive response from either entity.
Old Sep 22, 21, 11:55 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Ok. I got an email to say that they've paid. [...] So that meant they never needed account verification at all.,.
So, this 'account verification' was just an excuse to buy time. Basically, by delaying the payments, this could help them earn interests on the funds for as long as possible
Old Sep 23, 21, 1:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Fromager View Post

10 working days!
I got the:

This is an automatic response.

Thank you very much for your email. We have received this and we will do our best to review your email and return to you within the next working 10 days”.

email too.

That was on September 8th, so they missed that.
They got their fees, so I doubt we’ll hear from them again.

Anyone any idea which court handled this?

Or maybe a letter to Sean at BA letting him know his money isn’t going where he thought it would.

I know it’s a result of covid, but we got 2 years of extra BAEC status off BA since all this started, which is worth far more than the settlement ended up being. The irony.
Old Sep 23, 21, 3:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kc1174 View Post
Or maybe a letter to Sean at BA letting him know his money isn’t going where he thought it would.
I doubt he would be interested - BA defended a class action, settled to make it go away - all ancient history as far as a CEO is concerned and the money went exactly where he thought it would (to the lawyers).
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Sep 23, 21, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
If payments don’t arrive soon, perhaps each of us should consider filing a case against PGMBM using the Governments Money Claim Online (MCOL) service ? Even if it just lights a fire under PGMBM to act and get ShieldPay to do their job in a timely manner ?
Old Sep 23, 21, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL View Post
If payments don’t arrive soon, perhaps each of us should consider filing a case against PGMBM using the Governments Money Claim Online (MCOL) service ? Even if it just lights a fire under PGMBM to act and get ShieldPay to do their job in a timely manner ?
Indeed. An effective and easy way to press them to act faster is to let both PGMBM and their Partner Shieldpay, know that most of us are upset:
  1. ShieldPay Google reviews
  2. ShieldPay Trustpilot Reviews
  3. PGMBM Google Reviews

You'll notice that PGMBM seems more proactive in answering Google negative reviews.
If I was sitting in the board of any of these companies, I would be very worried at a sudden surge of negative reviews

Last edited by Fromager; Sep 23, 21 at 6:03 am
Old Sep 23, 21, 6:10 am

Also waiting for a payment here: I provided US bank details so perhaps that’s the delay.
Old Sep 23, 21, 8:30 am

I submitted my account details and was asked to provide a statement. The account I originally submitted is with a bank that it isn’t easy to get a pdf statement so I submitted a pdf statement for another account on 10/09. Lo and behold the transfer arrived yesterday to the original account details supplied which had not been verified. Which flies in the face of all Shieldpay’s talk of “additional security.”
T8191 and LimaWhiskey like this.
Old Sep 23, 21, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL View Post
We can't really be making a public announcement on this suit, can we?

I was impatient and had written to PGMBM too, who has not replied other than an instant messaging response. But I just received the money yesterday. So be patient.
Old Sep 23, 21, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjbean View Post
I submitted my account details and was asked to provide a statement. The account I originally submitted is with a bank that it isn’t easy to get a pdf statement so I submitted a pdf statement for another account on 10/09. Lo and behold the transfer arrived yesterday to the original account details supplied which had not been verified. Which flies in the face of all Shieldpay’s talk of “additional security.”
Exactly as I said it at #849.

Hmm. Who might you be, jjbean? You seemed might familiar on this considering this is your first post on FT?

Search this Thread