Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by G-BUSI
Same. Original email 17th Aug. Had to send a statement two weeks later. They confirmed that was enough. Payment still not made. Very slow.

Edit. Paid today.
Anyone have this problem?
i clicked on link, and uploaded my statement. Then a part opened up and indicated what ID that I’m uploading?

Ok. I think I know what the link is used for. Shieldpay didn’t envision that it required bank statements as the link was to upload proof of ID. So I just changed option to “Other”. Then sent it off.

But really who ever designed that site ought to... 🤬

Shieldpay gave me an email to send my statement which I’ve done that on Thursday too.

Now let’s see how long more to go..
SxMan likes this.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Sep 11, 2021 at 9:18 am
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Still waiting for a result here. It says BA is further reviewing it since July and PGMBM have been useless otherwise
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
It has been 27 days now and no money in my account yet. Did they send a separate email to request for bank statements? I did not get anything from Shieldpay other than the email to fill up the bank details in the form.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by db07mufan
It has been 27 days now and no money in my account yet. Did they send a separate email to request for bank statements? I did not get anything from Shieldpay other than the email to fill up the bank details in the form.
Exactly my situation. I tried to email Shieldpay and i got an automated reply telling me to check the FAQ and a survey to evaluate the support directing to an invaiid link.
imverge, T8191, kc1174 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by Fromager
…….you should receive the settlement funds within 21 days of having completed our verification checks, some time later this year ….
T8191 and kc1174 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
Here’s my “support” timeline:

Gave them the info on the 17th, and emailed them to ask if they got the info as that form was dubious to say the least.

August 20th “I can confirm we have received your personal information and your payment details. Shieldpay will now verify this information and should we require anything further we will be in touch over the next 7 days. Provided that Shieldpay has received all the requisite information from you, you should receive the settlement funds within 21 days”.

Today’s reply when I asked what the status was - exact same words as above.

My reply (copied PGMBM too):

“Day 31.
7 days verification plus “within” 21 days is less than 31 days last time I checked.

PGMBM - is the court aware you’re using this service?”

Forget the usual money transfer companies I’ve actually heard of - they could have posted a cheque to the address PGMBM have on file via second class mail at this rate and I’d already have it (and I live in the US).

Starting to wonder what the process is if nothing actually happens - contact the court?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fromager
It's been 4 weeks now since I received this response from them "you should receive the settlement funds within 21 days of having completed our verification checks".
Still no payment received and unresponsive support
Same here. PGMBM have also stopped responding now. I guess now they’ve got their few grand in fees for each of us, they could give a flying.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by kc1174
Starting to wonder what the process is if nothing actually happens - contact the court?
My advice would be to start a class action lawsuit
kc1174, dougzz and jfallesen like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
ShieldPay on Trust Pilot

Looks like some of us are letting ShieldPay know what we think of them;

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.shieldpay.com

They have someone doing a copy & paste response which reads as though their service is in accordance with what was promised …. ...?

You only need to click through to their BA FAQ and you’ll see how amateurish they are … the text is to big to read on mobile and the page is not responsive.

Not holding my breath they’ll get their act together in a timely manner.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
My advice would be to start a class action lawsuit
lol
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:40 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
Looks like some of us are letting ShieldPay know what we think of them;
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.shieldpay.com
Thanks for sharing this. Great to see that we are not alone in complaining about this company. I'll wait for one day before opening an account with Trustpilot for the sole purpose of posting a 1 star review
Looks like posting a 1-star review is the only "Fast support Line" available with them
Anastasis likes this.

Last edited by Fromager; Sep 17, 2021 at 2:52 am
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by kc1174
Same here. PGMBM have also stopped responding now. I guess now they’ve got their few grand in fees for each of us, they could give a flying.
By my calculations, they would have received over £6+ million for their fees..

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Sep 17, 2021 at 3:21 am
Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:44 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
A bit of an off the wall suggestion but maybe ring the ICO and tell them that Shieldpay requested your data including bank details for the purpose of paying you compensation.

It has not been received and therefore Shieldpay are in breach of their obligations regarding the processing and storage of your data. Not sure if that will do the trick?
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:15 am

Guess what I received this morning on my monthiversary?

We have identified that you will be receiving your settlement claim to a non-UK bank account, therefore in order pay your claim please provide a copy of your bank statement”.

7 days.. we’ll be lucky if this shows up by Christmas

Edit: no portal or anything to upload to, so I guess just email it back works lol
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
I made a fuss to ShieldPay about being asked to enter my personal details via a dodgy-looking form when they first emailed me (on 17th Aug) and they have finally worked out an alternative way to confirm the identity of me and my bank account. ShieldPay passed on my whinge to PGBMBM and I have just been called by a very nicely spoken young lady representing PGMBM, who acknowledged there were a number of people who were concerned about the method being employed to (re) enter their personal details.
  1. Firstly, she took me through a security check that gave me confidence that she was who she said she was. I.e. partly providing info to me and asking me to complete the details. Basic stuff but based on what I have seen to date, that's a big improvement.
  2. Secondly, she offered me an alternative approach to providing bank account details. That is for ShieldPay to email me with a request to provide sort code and bank account number only - I don't need to (re) enter my personal details any more. Once they have that info, they will transfer a small amount of money into my account along with a ref number. I'll then provide the ref back to ShieldPay and they will then send the full settlement amount.

Anyway, thought it was worth sharing a story about them trying to learn lessons. If anyone else is in the same boat, there might be a new approach on the way. It's a small win and I look forward to receiving my money now.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.