Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:31 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingMoonwards
For those of us who missed out on this, which other firms are pursuing a group claim for this? The note at the top suggests there are no others, but I see that "Your Lawyers" are pursuing this too. Any others?
I’m sort of hoping you’ve missed the boat
Old Aug 19, 2021, 6:12 pm

[Deleted - wrong thread]

Last edited by abitwild; Jul 21, 2023 at 1:38 am
Old Aug 19, 2021, 6:17 pm

[Deleted - wrong thread]

Last edited by abitwild; Jul 21, 2023 at 1:39 am
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by MatthewRob
No UK bank account. Sign up to transfer wise, they will give you a free UK account in your name which you can transfer to, then you just exchange it to local currency and transfer to your own bank.
Thank you. I have a Wise account. But didn’t venture over to the UK account side so I didn’t know about this.

Ive now written to Shieldpay to ask if I can change my account details as the link they originally sent no longer works. They’ve replied with the original letter and link and told me to resubmit the new bank details.

I originally sent them my Singapore HSBC account which does not charge a fee for incoming remittances, but the Ł to S$ is usually quite bad.

Thank you, MatthewRob!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Aug 20, 2021 at 12:16 pm
Old Aug 20, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by golfmad
I also bank with JP Morgan Chase and have my business bank accounts with Wells Fargo. The two banks offer roughly the same when it comes to FX but seeing as you quoted Chase, I'll use them in my live example below for a $10,000 transfer to GBP.
Point taken, thank you.
golfmad likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
I also bank with JP Morgan Chase and have my business bank accounts with Wells Fargo. The two banks offer roughly the same when it comes to FX but seeing as you quoted Chase, I'll use them in my live example below for a $10,000 transfer to GBP.

Below are three screenshots taken contemporaneously. They show the following:
  • The mid market rate from XE.com generated Ł7,335.24 from $10,000 at a rate of 1.3628.
  • A transfer using Chase generated Ł7,136.00 from $10,000 at a rate of 1.4013. Chase doesn't charge a wire fee for larger transfers because it makes its money on the exchange rate so it can afford to look generous and bundle the $15 or $25 fee.
  • The same transfer using Wise.com generated Ł7,291.34 at a rate of 1.3634 with a cost of $59.34 in fees. This is an effective rate of 1.3715 including fees.
Summary

Chase and other high street banks do not offer the mid market rate.
They may waive their fees but they make up for it many times by applying costly exchange rates.
Wise.com and other similar financial institutions offer an exchange rate very close to the mid market rate and then charge a fee.
Using Wise would save Ł155 in the above example compared to Chase.

I transfer 5 and sometimes 6 figure sums between the UK and the USA on a monthly basis and it would cost me a small fortune if I used Chase or Wells Fargo instead of Wise. If you're simply transferring a few hundred pounds you may not notice a significant difference but I can assure you Chase is not offering you anything like mid market current rates as you suggest above.

I hope that this helps explain what I have been trying to point out to you today.

check out Revolut. Confident they will have better rates than wise, I use them every month. I’m the example above you’ll get about Ł60-Ł70 more with Revolut but you need a premium account to get the better rates, which is about Ł70 a year, but sending 6 figure sums monthly, you’ll be far better off using Revolut.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by jamesreid978
check out Revolut. Confident they will have better rates than wise, I use them every month. I’m the example above you’ll get about Ł60-Ł70 more with Revolut but you need a premium account to get the better rates, which is about Ł70 a year, but sending 6 figure sums monthly, you’ll be far better off using Revolut.
(OT) That is interesting. Wise have annoyed me in the past by freezing my funds and reversing a transfer for no good reason but they have better international payment facilities than Revolut. I will have to check out Revolut's rates.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: BA
(OT) yes Revolut Rates are much better / the best - note though you only get 1 free banking transfer per month so that might offset the FX rate
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Is it just me that still hasn't got the 'give us your details so we can pay you' email........?

It's going to a charity one way or another but not if I never get it.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Email to submit bank details received on 10th August. Filled in the same day.

Money transfer showed up on online banking later this afternoon (23rd August).
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
Email to submit bank details received on 10th August. Filled in the same day.

Money transfer showed up on online banking later this afternoon (23rd August).
Same.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Same here - gave Shieldpay my details on 10 August and was pleasantly surprised to receive my settlement into my current account today.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Yes, I've been paid too. Donated to charity within the hour!
GlasgowBlue likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Is it just me that still hasn't got the 'give us your details so we can pay you' email........?

It's going to a charity one way or another but not if I never get it.
no not just you. My wife nor I have had the notification. I called them around 12 days ago and was promised they’d get back to me within the day. I have emailed since then, but still nothing!
Old Aug 23, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by zanderblue
no not just you. My wife nor I have had the notification. I called them around 12 days ago and was promised they’d get back to me within the day. I have emailed since then, but still nothing!
Nor have I or Mr. Fink. The last email was July 5 saying BA have settled and we would be hearing from them soon. I have emailed three times since with no response. Pretty pissed off at the whole thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.