Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
This thread relates to SPG Law's proposed Group Proceedings against British Airways, in respect of the Data Protection Act 2018 (which incorporates the GDPR).
There is a separate thread that relates to the actual data breaches and their implications for customers, which is to be found here: BA Investigating Theft of Personal and Financial Data

The one law firm that currently seems to be persuing a Class Action against BA is SPG. They have a specific site set up at https://www.badatabreach.com/ - please make sure you check all the FAQs and terms and conditions and make sure the Class Action is right for you before you sign up.

* SPG is now PGMBM.
* Payments are being made through Shieldpay, who are seeming to be both lethargic and/or inept.
Print Wikipost

BA data theft: should I join the class action suit?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by omk298
Pleasantly surprised by my 2A settlement.

I'd be interested to know how much of the nearly £3K costs that the law firm were claiming per person they actually got.
PGMBM includes this on their offer email I think.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Does anyone know if ShieldPay will accept a US bank account?
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Furby
Does anyone know if ShieldPay will accept a US bank account?
If you go into the FAQ's on the ShieldPay website I think this is covered. You can also pose specific questions there for a more tailored response. I'm not deliberately being evasive, I'm just being mindful and being overly cautious of everything non-disclosure.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:24 pm

Hello, I also got the email from PGMBM
As a category 2B, I got quite a low amount IMO. Do you know if the amount they told in the email is per booking, or per PAX?
Also, any way to "check" if I am really 2B and not 2A or 1 ?
Thank you for your help.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:28 pm

Also, I am very curious of the amount awarded. I guess there is no way to know even an idea, a range?
At least are we allowed to know if category 2A got twice than 2B? If 1 got 3 times 2A?
As a plaignant, can't I know what the other plaignants got?
Thank you!
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by mikynux
Also, I am very curious of the amount awarded. I guess there is no way to know even an idea, a range?
At least are we allowed to know if category 2A got twice than 2B? If 1 got 3 times 2A?
As a plaignant, can't I know what the other plaignants got?
Thank you!
I think that's the whole point of signing to a non-disclosure agreement. You aren't allowed to talk about specifics. In a class action such as this, it is decided upon on behalf of everyone by the law firm and BA. In the case of PGMBM I think there was also a sample of those brining a case included into the consultation that agreed on the outcome on behalf of everyone taking part. You don't get to decide on an individual level if you agree or not.

In terms of finding out what each group was awarded, I don't think you're going to find out without breaking your non-disclosure agreement so I'd urge you to tread very carefully in that respect. I don't know for certain but I would expect everyone within a specific grouping will have been awarded the same amount. Less any fees that they'd agreed to with the law firm they signed up and proceeded with.

In terms of expectation over amounts awarded, I think that's something perhaps you might have over-anticipated. Some people will be satisfied with the outcome, others like you less so. It's important to remember also from your other post it was never about the number of people on the booking, it was about the data of the person booking/paying for the reservation being potentially compromised.

Having been identified as a 2B, your exposure will have already been determined as being none to minimal. You will have been advised of this prior to you agreeing to proceed based upon the information you provided. If you didn't agree with that decision then you should have disputed this with evidence to the contrary if you thought you should have been placed in a higher group before signing up to proceed. You can't dispute that decision or the amount awarded now - that boat sailed the moment you agreed to move forward in the class action.

It's also important to remember this is an out of court settlement, nothing made it to the courtroom. Everything being offered is purely BA saying take this money and shut up.... less the admin fee from your chosen law firm for handling everything. They will have decided and this was a fair offer before agreeing a group decision on behalf of everyone.
mikynux likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Aug 11, 2021 at 10:16 pm
Old Aug 11, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Waited months and then two emails arrive on the same day saying exactly the same thing!

Not exactly the same just double checked, second one included costs which was omitted from the first.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
PGMBM includes this on their offer email I think.
No, they include the amount of costs they say they have incurred, that they were claiming from BA. They also say they didn't recover all of those costs from BA and were paying the remainder themselves.

Edit: Looking back in a previous email they said their costs had been agreed in court of a maximum of £860 per claimant, so I've no idea where the number quoted in the settlement email of nearly £3k comes from.
MiraculousM likes this.

Last edited by omk298; Aug 12, 2021 at 1:27 am
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:33 am

I was pleasantly surprised by my 2A award. I will not be putting my funds back into BA as i have no travel planned with them whatsoever.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:52 am

Well I’m happy I expected nothing and pleasantly surprised. … Cat1 for me.
1Aturnleft, MiraculousM and 86BA7 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
2A...
better than a kick in teeth. Funds will cover Next trip in Delta F...
1Aturnleft, YacozA and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
My email was in my junk folder - 2A, a good outcome for filling in a form and having to send a few bits of info
MiraculousM and holloway1000 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:45 am

Can you all post when you get the shieldpay email? Im scared i am going to miss it! Thank you!
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:47 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
2A here too. Pleasant surprise in the end.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
Originally Posted by omk298
No, they include the amount of costs they say they have incurred, that they were claiming from BA. They also say they didn't recover all of those costs from BA and were paying the remainder themselves.

Edit: Looking back in a previous email they said their costs had been agreed in court of a maximum of £860 per claimant, so I've no idea where the number quoted in the settlement email of nearly £3k comes from.

The number quoted in the email is likely their costs @ tariff rate (the T&Cs had a per hour tariff table for each level of staff, and a calculation method for how they bill hours by workload. i.e phone calls are billable)

I believe that as per the T&C's we do have a right to request an itemised breakdown of the costs allocated to our claim. but that would just show the standard tariff rates.

At this point, i dont really care, as im very happy with the settlement amount.

I think where it becomes an issue is if you dont accept the settlement, and therefore become liable for the costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.