Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on this T2-T5 connection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thoughts on this T2-T5 connection

I would appreciate some sage FT wisdom on this separate tickets connection. Arriving on AC (in Y) into T2 scheduled for 1010, departing from T5 (in short haul J) at 1315. I will have bags to collect & recheck, so connection will be landside and as an EU passport holder I can use the immigration egates. Is this tight and do you see any pitfalls / have any tips?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you are on time this should be do-able, there is quite a bit of slack in that. T2 is near to the tube station so I would use that. You can use tools like Expertflyer to see whether your AC flight has a track record of arriving on time or not, though that's not an infallible approach. A lot depends on your approach to risk management, plus what you would have to do should you not make the BA flight. So if it's an Avios plenty route like DUB, you could simply book a new RFS on the day, assuming you have a working BA account.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:00 pm

What are your fallback options if you miss the short haul flight? If there is an available cheap/easy/soon fallback then no problem. If the only fallback option is very expensive/annoying/days later ...
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It’s all about how much you’d hate losing that short haul flight or not. On time you’ll be totally fine. Weather or air traffic control issue and of course you can easily lose the whole thing...
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Departing 13.15 means having bags dropped by 12.30 so not as much time as you think you may have to complete the T2 formalities and get to T5 to do the necessary with BA.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by 27Liam
I would appreciate some sage FT wisdom on this separate tickets connection. Arriving on AC (in Y) into T2 scheduled for 1010, departing from T5 (in short haul J) at 1315. I will have bags to collect & recheck, so connection will be landside and as an EU passport holder I can use the immigration egates. Is this tight and do you see any pitfalls / have any tips?

Many thanks.
Unlike BA AC will (or should) interline your bags even with separate tickets — see for example this thread in the AC forum: Does AC Interline checked baggage with BA?. It's admittedly from 2016 but AC policy doesn't seem to have changed, e.g. see here for more reports of AC – OAL separate ticket successes. So I think (if AC does interline your bags) it should be a very doable connection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.