Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HELP! - Slight crisis in Shanghai on TP run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis

I'm going to argue this is BA related, as it's a TP Run, but mods, can you please leave this here for a while as I'd appreciate the advice of the experienced people here and I don't rate the chances of it being seen on another board. So while I'm happy for it to be moved, maybe you could wait for a day or two

As mentioned on the GGL thread, I had a problem on the outbound in Munich because they needed a CC visual verification. I had upgraded my BA Amex to a paid card and the last four digits had changed. So the agent used the old number and all was well.

On online checkin here in Shanghai I have a message requesting CC verification again. This may be a bit problem as I suspect the agents will be less amenable, and because the airline is Srilankan they will be using contract staff I imagine. Plus there will be limited time to deal with this and it will be around 11pm so supervisors may be few and far between.

I have done all the obvious things:

1) Called Sri Lankan. Explained situation. Agent put a note on the booking saying CC VERIFIED BY ECOM//// and I have a printout of the booking conformation with this on. He felt this would be enough. I'm less confident.

2) Got printouts of the two statements around the upgrade, one showing the old four digits, the next one showing the current four digits. I have highlighted the previous balance and current balance on new and old statements so it ties up, so I can show it to the agent.

3) I have the new card with me, so can show that. If the agent plays ball h//she can enter the old number into the form as they did in Munich. Obviously I have flown half the itinerary already.

I am at the airport, with most of the day ahead of me. Is there anything anyone can think of that will help, and any options to get boarding passes from somewhere else at the airport other than Srilankan?

All good fun. It doesn't help that my main email is gmail so stuck behind the great firewall.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Any mileage in contacting Amex (twitter?) and asking them to confirm the change in cards? Although it does seem that you are being very proactive in resolving this already.

I appreciate the need to combat potential fraud but having the exact card is always going to be an issue especially as cards do get changed and with them the card number.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Twitter is behind the firewall. I can call Amex, and did so in Munich, but no real point in doing this until at the desk.
Beyond the actual panic, it's an informative process - firstly the importance of not ignoring messages about CC checks, and if anyone has cancelled due to BA fraud, message is to KEEP THE OLD CARD. But also how difficult it can be to deal with problems on the road and specifically China where you are locked out of a lot of infrastructure. I've ensured I have hard copies of any emails and so on to avoid having to scrabble around on free wifi at the airport, but life would have been a lot easier had I packed a second unlocked phone to but a local SIM in. We live and learn I guess.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Twitter is behind the firewall. I can call Amex, and did so in Munich, but no real point in doing this until at the desk.
Beyond the actual panic, it's an informative process - firstly the importance of not ignoring messages about CC checks, and if anyone has cancelled due to BA fraud, message is to KEEP THE OLD CARD. But also how difficult it can be to deal with problems on the road and specifically China where you are locked out of a lot of infrastructure. I've ensured I have hard copies of any emails and so on to avoid having to scrabble around on free wifi at the airport, but life would have been a lot easier had I packed a second unlocked phone to but a local SIM in. We live and learn I guess.
this is why i dont MR to china.
too much weird risks that can be avoided when you do MR elsewhere.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:45 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Doubt it will be helpful to you now but I always advise friends/colleagues travelling to China to install a VPN on PEDs before travelling there.

Hope you don’t have any issues.

S
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

To be honest I've worked round the specific China/firewall risks, we're just into the remote location stuff. I suspect even with BA this would be difficult to resolve in Shanghai when the desks are shut.

What I'm really looking for is a way of forcing the issuing of BPs early so as to deal with it when there's a bit of time to work. I'll head over to the airport in a while - it's literally just across the road from me in the Dazhong airport hotel - but any ideas or thoughts very welcome of course.

Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Whilst I can't help let this be a word of warning for any UL runners. They can be notouriosly unhelpful.

FYI I had similar issues in CGK but the staff there ignored it so it's possible you will be fine....

Good luck!
bisonrav and cgtechuk like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

UL staff so far have been fine. Contract staff are the worry. Nothing doing at the airport anyway so enjoying the day and will be back 3 hours before checkin to sort.

Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC
If you need to get round the great firewall quickly, remember that a roaming SIM card data connection is tunneled out of the country to your home network. It might be expensive for a few MB if you don't have a data bundle for roaming but it can sure beat messing eith VPNs if you're on the back foot trying to sort something. Good luck.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by plunet
messing eith VPNs
ExpressVPN works religiously in China. Worth every penny for my annual subscription.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by rossmacd
ExpressVPN works religiously in China. Worth every penny for my annual subscription.
+1. Works fine anywhere I’ve needed to use it in the world, with a large choice of VPN locations.
our_kid, bisonrav and rossmacd like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Isn't it just the case that, even if they reject the credit card, you are simply refunded the original payment to th old card and have to repay the original fare? In other words, as long as you have the credit limit, the "worst case scenario" here is not that bad?
bisonrav likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:25 am

My data roaming works OK from China... no firewall issues. So activate yours before leaving for China as insurance.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Isn't it just the case that, even if they reject the credit card, you are simply refunded the original payment to th old card and have to repay the original fare? In other words, as long as you have the credit limit, the "worst case scenario" here is not that bad?
The implication from Munich was that I would be denied boarding. Anyway I'm now in possession of an email saying I've checked in. Still have to visit the desk so we'll see. No idea where I would stand on refunds etc, hopefully won't come into play.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Is ‘crisis’ the right word for your issue, even mitigated by the ‘slight’ 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.