Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help! I just missed my F flight!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
The second BA flight from JNB has left so OP knows his fate for tonight.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Does not hurt to try.
EDIT: It’s condition of carriage 3c4
if is for “Events beyond your control” which BA define as

Events beyond your control - unusual and unforeseeable circumstances which you cannot control and the consequences of which you could not have avoided even if you had taken all due care
I struggle to see how losing a car’s location meets this definition.

Last edited by Physci; Oct 25, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Oaxaca

Clause 3c4 of the BA CoC is effectively the flat tyre rule, whether it applies in this case is another matter.
I can't remember the exact wording but what I do remember is heavy on issues outside of your control so we are looking at a multiple pile up on a motorway, massive disruption of trains etc.

Forgetting where your car is parked is definitely something under your own control.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Assuming this was the outbound flight and OP was a no show, surely the return is now cancelled.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Physci

Perhaps read my post. Did I say this case met the definition? The poster I was responding to was asserting that BA does not have a flat tyre rule, which is not the case.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Physci

Exactly. Referring to this as a flat tire rule negates the seriousness of the situation that it would cover. You get a flat tire then use your spare. Delay 20 minutes. Your windscreen shatters on the motorway. Not so easy to fix. But you would still be expected to give reasonable time to get to the airport.

I think it is unreasonable to refer to this clause as flat tire as it is much more than that. Of course if somebody would like to try it, I’d love to see the response. To be truly effective it would need to be somebody without status.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Perhaps read my post. Did I say this case met the definition? The poster I was responding to was asserting that BA does not have a flat tyre rule, which is not the case.
And I maintain that they don’t. The clause won’t cover a flat tire (or it shouldn’t) and therefore calling it that is wrong. You could even go as far as saying it isn’t even a rule as they don’t promise anything. There is no A = B. What would be considered reasonable efforts?

Although it seems that we agree that this instance is probably not beyond the OPs control, so perhaps it is just the way in which things are worded.

Last edited by madfish; Oct 25, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,

Sorry was not having a go at you - have edited post to quote the right post.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
[QUOTE=cysyuen;30355603

Let's hope I don't need to get a new ticket...![/QUOTE]

Hi OP, do you need to take this trip? If this is your outbound and you were a No Show then your return would be cancelled.

Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BAEC

Hi OP, do you need to take this trip? If this is your outbound and you were a No Show then your return would be cancelled.

OP brought this on the recent ‘promotion’ as they referred to it. They had to position out to JNB to take the flight. I assume it is indeed their outbound, but they may have brought it as a one way.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
To clarify regarding BA's ticketing policies (I'm a Corporate TA):

If you make a change to your ticket before you've flown the outbound journey, then the whole ticket is re-priced at the time you make the change. For example, if you booked the ticket in the sale on e.g. 1st Oct, and you need to make a change on 25th Oct before you've started your journey, then your journey price is re-calculated based on the prices available if you were booking it for the first time on 25th Oct, which will often be significantly more. This is regardless of whether there are still seats in the same fare classes or not.

If you make a change to the inbound journey after you have already flown the outbound part of your ticket, then the fare can be 'backdated'. This means that the journey price with the new flight is priced as it would have been when you originally bought the ticket i.e. honouring the sale prices, so you just pay the change fee on the ticket if there are the same class seats available. If you booked an A class seat and there was only F class on the new flight you are changing to, then you would have to pay the fare difference between A and F, however it would be calculated at the sale prices that you originally booked the ticket at.

So in summary, the cost to change the ticket will be most dependent on whether this is the outbound or inbound part of the OP's journey.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by LondonCapeTownAnyday
So in summary, the cost to change the ticket will be most dependent on whether this is the outbound or inbound part of the OP's journey.
Considering the OP mentioned the so-called "promotion" which was ex-JNB only, this is definitely the outbound.

Assuming he positioned to do this, time to find a new way "home" - and yes, the return is voided too. Not sure what the refund policy on this is AFTER departure. Before departure it was 100% refundable, as I just unfortunately had to do myself earlier today.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, just bear in mind that the OP is asking for suggestions/assistance rather than a protracted and esoteric debate about the flat tyre rule.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by madfish

And I maintain that they don’t. The clause won’t cover a flat tire (or it shouldn’t) and therefore calling it that is wrong. You could even go as far as saying it isn’t even a rule as they don’t promise anything. There is no A = B. What would be considered reasonable efforts?

Although it seems that we agree that this instance is probably not beyond the OPs control, so perhaps it is just the way in which things are worded.
Perhaps the OP can read said clause, and reword their statement to make it it better: “I had allowed plenty of time, but ended up being driven to the wrong end of the car park to recover my car, costing me way over an hour”. Then they may end up with a sympathetic ear...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Assuming he positioned to do this, time to find a new way "home"
I agree, assuming it is auto cancelled and rather than having the flat tyre rule debate maybe best if we can help as a community and assist the OP with choices to get back to the UK with options/prices etc @:-)

(I'm assuming he's based here and having met him at an Edi Do)

ETA: I see a Moderator has already posted something.
aircrashsurvivor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.