Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How practical is "Max Size" (45 x 56 x 25 cm) hand baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member

(I searched, but couldn't find anything relevant!)

I've got a good deal on one of those hard-sided bags which is he maximum size for BA's hand baggage, but before I pull the trigger, how practical is it for travel? At the moment I tend to use a 55 x 40 x 20cm (the old Lufthansa max size) or even a smaller soft-bag.

I guess my real question is "does it fit in the overhead bins?" I'm not too bothered by the E-190s out of LCY (I'm guessing it won't fit there anyway) but will it go in the A3XX short-haul bins, or will i end up checking it most of the time anyway (so I may as well stick with the smaller size and a 'personal item')?

Supplementary question, will I be one of those people who annoyingly uses up all the bin space and irritates my fellow passengers?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
My experience is that it fits in the bins. Just fits with wheels inwards, (literally JUST fits), and plenty of space if put in sideways but why do that and take up more room than needed?

It is quite practical and not an issue - however if not travelling on BA then not all airlines accept the same size and I have had to check it with a couple even though I went outbound from the UK and it still fits in the overheads on the planes. As you can imagine flying back from a German airport it WILL be noticed and you WILL have to check it if the cabin size back on that airline is smaller!

I think most people are fine with the size. It's not stupidly large. It is only when you get people with clearly oversized baggage that will only fit in sideways and they are travelling in ET but stuffing their bags above your head in CE that there is an issue. Of course I say this when I mostly travel in CE and if one makes sure to board in Group 1 then space is not an issue!
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:36 am

My case is 40x56x25cm and it fits in short haul bins. Admittedly without spare space, but it definitely does fit. Therefore even with an absolute max size of 45cm width, that'll fit as the width just utilises more, erm, width, in the overhead bins. The 56cm depth and 25cm height are key to fitting in the bin. And no, that max size won't be out of order, relative to others' baggage. I hope this helps!

From vague memory it also fits into E190s but sideways, so maybe a bit annoying in terms of space it takes up. Others can probably comment on this better than me.
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Mine is 44.5 x 56 x 29, although it's a bit squashy (a Samsung Pro DLX-4), so the extra 4cm has never been a problem.

It fits fine in all the Airbus aircraft, but is definitely slightly tight on the E190. If you put the wheels at the end and push the locker really hard, it does still shut though...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Supplementary question, will I be one of those people who annoyingly uses up all the bin space and irritates my fellow passengers?
Worry not , (a) you are allowed it and (b) If you put only one bag ( even a max sized bag ) you will no doubt be putting up less than most other pax.
You wait until it gets really cold and every other person is wearing one of those huge puffer style coats ( they are particularly popular in Spain for some reason )...
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I have a Briggs and Riley two wheeled one that I absolutely love. Can't remember precise measurements but it's bumping up against the max.

It's really well thought out and even features an integrated suit hanger compartment in the lid (albeit not one I would leave a suit in for too long if I wanted to wear it immediately after I disembark.

One thing I would say is that this thing does such a stellar job of allowing me to cram stuff in, that I'll use it to do quite long trips with only carry on, and as a result it can actually end up really heavy when fully packed. So while I have never actually taken anyone out when lifting it down from the overhead bins, I've come a little close once in a while.

But aircraft wise I have not yet found a BA aircraft I couldn't get it in. Even the 190s out of LCY!!!

So I am firmly in favour...
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Pascoe
I have a Briggs and Riley two wheeled one that I absolutely love. Can't remember precise measurements but it's bumping up against the max.

It's really well thought out and even features an integrated suit hanger compartment in the lid (albeit not one I would leave a suit in for too long if I wanted to wear it immediately after I disembark.

One thing I would say is that this thing does such a stellar job of allowing me to cram stuff in, that I'll use it to do quite long trips with only carry on, and as a result it can actually end up really heavy when fully packed. So while I have never actually taken anyone out when lifting it down from the overhead bins, I've come a little close once in a while.

But aircraft wise I have not yet found a BA aircraft I couldn't get it in. Even the 190s out of LCY!!!

So I am firmly in favour...
Sounds good. May we ask which model?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:30 am

I have a Rimowa Topas (56x45x25) that is right on the limit for BA but I find it really useful and with some careful packing have done 10 day business trips in Asia with it. It fits in the E190s (just, sideways, and requires a bit of a push on the overhead - I had actually given the first time and asked for it to be put in the hold but the crew were adamant it was going to fit!). Similar to another poster's bag, it does get a bit heavy at times but the convenience and lack of effort to push it around is really worth it. They also make one 1 cm smaller at 55x45x25.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by GCab
Sounds good. May we ask which model?
It's an older model but having searched, I think this is the new equivalent by the looks of it.

https://www.globalluggage.co.uk/bran...-53-5cm-black#

What I like is that build quality is great. It looks ok without being amazing, but there's nowhere near the price tag associated with B&R that there is with, for example, Tumi stuff.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:24 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Worry not , (a) you are allowed it and (b) If you put only one bag ( even a max sized bag ) you will no doubt be putting up less than most other pax.
You wait until it gets really cold and every other person is wearing one of those huge puffer style coats ( they are particularly popular in Spain for some reason )...
Recently I saw a passenger get on a BA TXL flight with 3 trolley cases and a holdall. He put the rollaboards in CE and then wandered into ET. He was travelling by himself. I don't know how he got away with it...I was so gobsmacked I didn't say anything.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
I couldn't fit my bag in to the overhead bin on a 747.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I have a B&R Sympatico spinner which has always fit into the overheads, even on airlines like the Flybe Dash 80 planes - though it gets a bit scuffed when I'm putting it in there. On airlines like Flybe where the depth dim is 20cm, it is technically oversized but for whatever reason even when they are pulling people out to put their bags in the sizer they always seem to breeze past mine - it must look smaller than it is.

This coupled with a Tumi multi pocket backpack is enough storage for me for any trip less than 3 weeks, unless I'm going somewhere mentally cold.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Mrs Clam has a BA Cabin Max 4 wheel hard case by Aerolite ( btw often great deals and avios bonuses via the ba shopping store). It is measured to be max including the wheels and ships with a various sales bits on a cable tie one of which gives the dimensions and states including wheels which she opted to keep attached. Comes in handy if at outstations. Fits overheads well, robust and has good compartmentalisation( including a shoe section). She fits most her stuff in it no problem then makes throws her toiletries in the larger ( checked) case & has me lug it to the airport. Ships with a padlock although these aren't TSA approved ones.

It flies with us at least once a month and after clocking up quite a few miles and continents isn't showing any wear & tear as of yet but has a 5 yr guarantee as standard.

NeverFirst likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have a globetrotter
centenary
20 it can fit 30L inside it which is very practical. Never had a problem putting it in the overhead bins. Some aircraft however 747 if I remember correctly it has to go on the outer side bins and not the bins for the middle rows as the outer side bins are bigger.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
+1 on the Briggs and RIley, just at the end of a seven day trip using one (and had fresh clothes every day..albeit not suits)

It's simply genius and a lifetime warranty that means something

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.