Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC password compromise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

BAEC password compromise

My BAEC account password was recently compromised (not from me as I never divulge it) and can see some spam emails quoting my password back to me.

Are BA certain that BAEC account passwords were not compromised during the recent data leaks? I had to speak to someone at BAEC to try and reset my password as the site was playing up when I tried. I mentioned the compromise and asked whether it was linked to the recent data theft, but didn't get a clear answer.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by London_traveller
My BAEC account password was recently compromised (not from me as I never divulge it) and can see some spam emails quoting my password back to me.

Are BA certain that BAEC account passwords were not compromised during the recent data leaks? I had to speak to someone at BAEC to try and reset my password as the site was playing up when I tried. I mentioned the compromise and asked whether it was linked to the recent data theft, but didn't get a clear answer.
There was another thread about this recently where a few people said their BA password had been compromised.

Enter the password into the following site, and it will tell you if it's been leaked (it's perfectly safe) :-

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

Edit : this is the thread :-

And so it begins — blackmail attempt following BA data theft
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My password was compromised just a few days ago. I only use this particullar password for BA and changed it after the hack a few weeks ago.
Now i hat to change it again. It might be a new issue.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this info - that's the thread I need!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Bear in mind the possibility that some device you used to access the account has been compromised and that credentials were stolen there.
plunet and BHD Belle like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC
Yep, we're all quick off the mark to blame the provider for leaking a password and whikst there are a large number of websites need to their game, the balance probability these days is that malware on an end user device has sniffed the password and compromised it more often than it being compromised by the service provider.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by plunet
Yep, we're all quick off the mark to blame the provider for leaking a password and whikst there are a large number of websites need to their game, the balance probability these days is that malware on an end user device has sniffed the password and compromised it more often than it being compromised by the service provider.
BA have proved that they don't take their data responsibilities seriously, so I'd say there's a good chance that they've also leaked passwords - maybe without even knowing it. Look at the thread I linked, and there are a few people there that also have their unique BA passwords compromised. People who use unique passwords tend to be a bit more clued up about being secure in my experience, so less likely to have their data "sniffed".
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
How many people use 'AlexCruz' as a password?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:50 pm

And this is why I’m happy to renter my passport details each time I make a booking instead of letting BA store them.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Tonight BA admitted to a second data breach. The original one compromised data from 21 August to 5 September. Tonight's admission adds in a second period:

Those impacted were people making reward bookings between April 21 and July 28, 2018 and who used a payment card.
It would not surprise me if other vulnerabilities are also lurking in BA's website waiting to be admitted to.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plunet
Well, quite possibly.

The two massive data breaches by BA over recent months are merely a coincidence
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
One still should check one has not stepped in the dog-dirt with one's own shoes before blaming the other party for bringing the stench.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
How many people use 'AlexCruz' as a password?
At least one person does according to haveibeenpwned.com!

Worcester likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC
The sad thing is that I got notification from Amex (BA Amex card) to say that they were monitoring my account and not to worry - before I got any notification from BA.... (both times!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.