Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lobster thermidor First LHR LAX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by frasier
Salt beef croquette
Nice accompaniment. I trust it was tastier than it looked!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Please fwd this example to BA to show them how it should be....OMG..how can they combine lobster and peas as per a few posts before... and the presentation looked awful especially for F meal.

They just left it in the shell and put rice beside it. Please forward the BA to example to SQ and show them how a bit of effort might be helpful? OMG etc etc.

The main thing in both - no claw, and you never know what size you will get.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by ukgooner
They just left it in the shell and put rice beside it. Please forward the BA to example to SQ and show them how a bit of effort might be helpful? OMG etc etc.

The main thing in both - no claw, and you never know what size you will get.
I’d hope the claw would be chopped and in the shell on SQ, ŕ la Larousse.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
I flew LHR - LAX in F today and had the salad after seeing the lobster ( on the menu, where I assumed it was an attempt to pander, then on a plate across the aisle, where it looked disappointing).

They should consider poaching the chicken. As it was presented, it was tough and tasteless. But it was a decent salad.

Service was absolutely impeccable, a nice surprise.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ung1
As promised here’s a picture of the lobster. It tasted quite nice actually and the texture was just a little bit tougher than I would have liked, but not rubber... not sure I would call it a thermidor. The rest of the courses were very good - I even ended up having two different desserts!

i hope that’s not how it was presented and that the image was taken after you had had a few bites. It looks half eaten ....dreadful
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nd100
I had the lobster thermidor on BA251 last night, so you don't have to. As you can see, there was only a small sliver of lobster in it, and it was every bit as tough and rubbery as the OP feared. Not recommended.

On the upside, the rest of the catering was great, and service impeccable. F as it should be.
each to their own but to suggest the service was impeccable when they put this in front of you is hard to take seriously.

I don’t rate BA first beyond a middle of the road J product and certainly QR business wipes the floor with BA. 30-35 years ago silver service was delivered to 18 passengers and the beef carved in front of you. The experience was Superb.

it went downhill with the introduction of flat beds as silver service wasn’t possible.

BA need to provide wholesome tasty food and stop trying to pretend they are still in the big league. You can’t do that without dedicated crew and investing real time,effort and money into the food
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My gut feel is that BA are testing the waters with the current lobster thermidor product and have not spent too much on it yet.

I am guessing that they want to see whether or not lots of people want to order it and maybe even whether those who do are valuable customers (e.g. paid vs. redemption). Then if lots of cash-paying passengers order the lobster in advance they will improve the recipe, load a claw and serve in the shell.

At "another airline" we heard customer feedback that they wanted luxury products so the CEO went all out and spent two million dollars or so on foie gras, but most of it ended up being thrown away because when not associated with a high price tag it turned out that people did not want it. BA will be keen to avoid this trap...

Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Based on the BA experiences expressed on this thread I pre-ordered the chicken, ham hock and leek pie in preference to the lobster. In the few hours prior to the flight I was contemplating ditching the pie and switching to the lobster. However, when menus were distributed everyone was advised that the lobster had been replaced by stir fried prawns. I had the pie.

Doc Copper
smokie36 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by binman
30-35 years ago silver service was delivered to 18 passengers and the beef carved in front of you. The experience was Superb.
And the price of the ticket was ?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by binman
I hope that’s not how it was presented and that the image was taken after you had had a few bites.
No, this is what it looks like after a couple of bites. Tasted ok, but the lobster was definitely a bit rubbery (yeh, I know you told me so).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.