Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Longhaul Destinations: 6 Months Pregnant

Old Oct 25, 18, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze

I and my wife are expecting our first baby in May 2019 and are keenly aware that our days of long-haul backpacking holidays are probably over for the foreseeable future!

We are looking for somewhere to go away for a "Babymoon" in February which also coincides with her Birthday. The reason I'm asking this query here is that we have 450k of Avios and 3 2-4-1 vouchers we could use and we would like to go long-haul CW/First as it'll probably be our last chance for a few years.

Our holidays usually involve some backpacking and moving around within the country we are visiting. Our original plan was to visit the Philipines in February before we had the news in regards to the baby! Is somewhere like the Philipines viable with a 6-month pregnant wife or do we need to look at somewhere with easier access to healthcare?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 25, 18, 12:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Congratulations. My one thought would be to check the current situation regarding the Zika virus.

Personally I would be looking for somewhere with decent hotels but ability to get out and about. As such i’d be thinking about places such as MIA/SIN etc.
Old Oct 25, 18, 1:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Japan is also interesting but has good medical care, as does Hong Kong - you can also go hiking in either of these places if you wish. You'd be wanting to make sure your health insurance covered a pre-existing pregnancy.

Of course, you may be constrained by availability. I suggest making a list of acceptable places to go and get the first seats to any of those places that you can find.
cruisr and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 25, 18, 1:45 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Congratulations!

Personally Iíd avoid anywhere with a risk of Zika, Malaria, or Dengue and go somewhere with good hotels and good healthcare.

Old Oct 25, 18, 1:53 am

I would not go somewhere like The Philippines personally. The infrastructure is not good enough. Medical care is not up to scratch and I would be wary of going somewhere where transport options are so unreliable. If Asia is a must, I would stick to HK, Korea, Singapore or Japan.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
My wife is also due in May and sheís never been to NYC, so I have booked this for her, I think it would be suitable
cruisr likes this.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by 1010101 View Post
I would not go somewhere like The Philippines personally. The infrastructure is not good enough. Medical care is not up to scratch and I would be wary of going somewhere where transport options are so unreliable. If Asia is a must, I would stick to HK, Korea, Singapore or Japan.
Agreed; as someone whose family is in the Philippines I wouldn't recommend it at all. As much as I love visiting, the traffic is unbearable and I've always wondered what would happen if one needed the ambulance...

Would definitely recommend Japan or South Korea; Singapore I've not been to personally but have heard many good things about it from those who have.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Xmikain View Post
Agreed; as someone whose family is in the Philippines I wouldn't recommend it at all. As much as I love visiting, the traffic is unbearable and I've always wondered what would happen if one needed the ambulance...
It really used to wind me up how in some parts of Asia people don't move out of the way for ambulances and other emergency vehicles. They are terrible for it in Hong Kong
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by 1010101 View Post
It really used to wind me up how in some parts of Asia people don't move out of the way for ambulances and other emergency vehicles. They are terrible for it in Hong Kong
They prefer to get in front of the ambulance and "surf" it. Particularly red minibuses.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Singapore is either hot and humid or very hot and very humid. A lot of pregnant women find they don't do well in high temperatures, so you might want to choose somewhere with a less challenging climate.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:27 am

Agree on the insurance issue. Load up on insurance, which should also include excellent neonatal coverage. Some places, not just in Asia, aren't above refusing to release an infant from hospital or give a birth certificate without settlement of medical bills.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:31 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
In February itíll be very cold in Japan and Korea.

How about New Zealand?

And if going that far, Iíd definitely break up your journey with stopovers. Your wife wonít appreciate being stuck on planes for a long time.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:32 am

Have to add another vote for Japan. In fact, we did our baby moon there!

Kyushu has some great hiking around the volcanos of various lengths depending on how tired your wife is feeling. Also there is great exploring to be done in Honshu. Obviously there is good medical care.

Language was our only concern but I found a PDF on the internet that translated common pregnancy related medical conditions to/from Japanese and took that along with our notes.

Finally, it's a great use of a 241 in my book - availability always seems very good and direct flights are generally expensive so you're getting good value. If you are not a regular in first it's a nice long trip to enjoy it on too. Only downside is I think it's all 777s that go that way.
cruisr likes this.
Old Oct 25, 18, 2:34 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
A lot of insurance policies wonít cover after 26 weeks pregnancy so be careful.

UK to New Zealand for a 6 months pregnant woman. In F/J yes but really...

Old Oct 25, 18, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
BA will accept pregnant women for travel up to 36 weeks.

The Royal College of Obstetrics & Gyanecology have some information on air travel during pregnancy.
https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets...-pregnancy.pdf

I get asked this question a lot. Itís a decision for the traveller at the end of the day, the necessity for travel and destination. Be aware that in the US medical fees for delivery of a baby plus any care required for an extremely pre-term baby run to around $100k. Be sure you have insurance which covers this. Iíve never worked or needed treatment in Asia so I cannot fairly comment, but one should be aware that the US has poorer health outcomes than a number of ASEAN countries.

Finally, not much is known about Zika and itís direct effect (if any) on high rates of problems with babies brains/developmental delay seen mainly in South America. Again the RCOG have advice. Essentially travellers with a history of travel to Zika areas might be offered an additional ultrasound at around 28-30 weeks. In your scenario a detailed scan of the fetal anatomy and brain would have been offered/undertaken at 20 week and then the potential exposure risk would have taken place. The guidance doesnít cover this scenario directly. The US CDC reports 46 confirmed Zika cases in 2018, None of which are believed to have occurred within the USA.

A quick summary is to research your destination, be insured for the worst case and make sure the airline will carry you.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Search this Thread